Next Gen Consoles - Xbox 720 & PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yawn. It isn't 1992 anymore. Video games aren't all platformers with cutesy characters and stupid template first person shooter games which are generally aimed at children and teenagers, you know.

It's just another art/entertainment form such as listening to music, reading books, watching films or watching a sport team, but for numerous reasons (which is partly the fault of the industry itself and it canonising the most artistically redundant of games over the ones which make the medium so good and unique) it seems to get written off as either childish or as being something which teaches children to murder people.

Last edited:
Yawn. It isn't 1992 anymore. Video games aren't all platformers with cutesy characters and stupid template first person shooter games which are generally aimed at children and teenagers, you know.

It's just another art/entertainment form such as listening to music, reading books, watching films or watching a sport team, but for numerous reasons (which is partly the fault of the industry itself and it canonising the most artistically redundant of games over the ones which make the medium so good and unique) it seems to get written off as either childish or as being something which teaches children to murder people.
I wish there were more simple platform games and point and clicks. Before the graphics went hyper, they had to think about playability and story.

Live TV is dead fashionable. Everyone cant wait to get into it, it'll be the future mark my words.

I wish there were more simple platform games and point and clicks. Before the graphics went hyper, they had to think about playability and story.

There's loads of platformers out there these days atm, way more than the snes or mega drive era. As for stories, well, stories of current games tend to be far superior and more detailed from what I can tell and have much more interactivity and choice in their storytelling too. Nothing to do with graphics.

Last edited:
Sleeping Dogs was like playing my way through a film. Great game.

I mainly just play FIFA though so probably won't rush to buy a next-gen console. I've never bought the consoles as soon as they come out, generally wait until the games I want stop being released/FIFA's gameplay becomes massively outdated against the new system.

Having said that, I'm now working in a good job and have much more expendable income than I've had before, so I will probably buy one sooner than normal... and that will probably be a PS4.

Thought it was interesting that the new Gran Turismo game is coming out at the end of this year though and being released for PS3, not PS4. Maybe expecting slow sales early on?

People over 30 who play games on electronic devices are either immature or bachelors - FACT!

People over 30 who play games on electronic devices are either immature or bachelors - FACT!
You could say the same for over 30s who like to watch people pretend to be someone else on a big screen, or watch groups of men or women kick or throw a ball around, or go to an establishment serving intoxicating beverages and sit around a table talking or stand around throwing sharp objects at a circular board. You'd still be wrong.

Not a fact, at all. Complete and utter rubbish actually. You're just yet another person with a dated view of what video games are and can be.

As BM said, you can say exactly the same thing about people who listen to music, or watch films or attend football matches or play darts or pool - People, of any age, like drama and storytelling and escapism and well, enjoying themselves and having emotional reactions to things, no shit. Gaming provides those just as much as anything else, in terms of immersion and escapism, probably more so than any other art/entertainment form.

Last edited:
So the Xbox One price has been leaked at £500. Does that change anyone's plans to get one?

So the Xbox One price has been leaked at £500. Does that change anyone's plans to get one?

Nope.

Was happy with my 360 anyway, and the only thing that would have made me get one would have been a ridiculously low price.

Will probably get a second hand one (if the aftermarket is allowed!...) a year or so after release.

Nope.

Was happy with my 360 anyway, and the only thing that would have made me get one would have been a ridiculously low price.

Will probably get a second hand one (if the aftermarket is allowed!...) a year or so after release.

This and the fact I cannot see Sony releasing the PS4 at any less.

I'll probably just stick to PC gaming for the next gen anyway as games are cheaper and I am a very casual anyway so wouldn't want to spend more than £200 on a console as that would get you a more than comparable GPU.

Or potentially now £600 as it seems we will be screwed in the UK as usual 600 euros and 600 GBP, cheers then :icon_roll

This is just based on one retailer though from my quick Google but other retailers have listed them as low as £400 since the announcement.

Not worth getting worked up or excited about until their is official word.

For me the main put-off with this is the whole must-be-connected-to-play thing.

Game manufacturers need to get off their arses and create games that people want to hold onto rather than just remaking successful games and wondering why people don't play the other ones anymore. Only then will the preowned market quiet down and they can stop squeezing console games for absolutely every penny they have.

A story out yesterday suggesting £230 and £260 for the PS4 and Xbox One respectively. That is according to some analyst Michael Pachter of investment firm Wedbush Securities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566