Next Gen Consoles - Xbox 720 & PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me who doesn't want to play with strangers online? I don't care about how my high scores stack up next to those of people in Adelaide or Llandudno or Shitkicker, Kentucky. I don't care about playing FIFA with people I've never met and never will. I want an immersive single-player mode that takes more than a handful of sessions to complete (unlike, say, Max Payne 3), has replay value (unlike, say, Max Payne 3) and has an interesting, captivating narrative that makes sense (unlike, say, Max Payne 3 - wow, what an overrated waste of money that was).

Am I in the minority here?

For me the main put-off with this is the whole must-be-connected-to-play thing.

Game manufacturers need to get off their arses and create games that people want to hold onto rather than just remaking successful games and wondering why people don't play the other ones anymore. Only then will the preowned market quiet down and they can stop squeezing console games for absolutely every penny they have.

Its a nice idea but it doesn't sound very commercially astute unfortunately.

Is it just me who doesn't want to play with strangers online? I don't care about how my high scores stack up next to those of people in Adelaide or Llandudno or Shitkicker, Kentucky. I don't care about playing FIFA with people I've never met and never will. I want an immersive single-player mode that takes more than a handful of sessions to complete (unlike, say, Max Payne 3), has replay value (unlike, say, Max Payne 3) and has an interesting, captivating narrative that makes sense (unlike, say, Max Payne 3 - wow, what an overrated waste of money that was).

No, far too many games rely on the multiplayer aspect and the single player aspect suffers. I mostly play racing games which are less affected by this generally. Try Bioshock Infinite for a good single player experience (it doesn't even have multiplayer).

Last edited:
Would be nice but sounds too cheap.

My thoughts exactly. There were similar rumors kicking around at the time of the Microsoft Surface launch, I think one source quoted as low as £150 for the lower spec machine and just over £300 for the full Windows 8 version. In reality they range from around £350 to near enough £1000.

Still cant afford the Xbox One no matter what the price, think I will wait for prices to drop and Microsoft to iron out the inevitable problems.

Not at all, I am exactly the same. Have tried the online gaming in the past when I had a free pass, but it just don't excite me!

I found the new Tomb Raider to be very good, first game in a while Ive managed to complete without getting board half way through. It does have a multiplayer mode, but I'm not one of these people who desperately wants all the achievements, so I didn't bother with it.

I played online once.

I was sick of listening to drunk, sweary American children shouting in my ears and turned the ****er off. But then I just don't have time for gaming at all anymore, even if I could dislodge my boy from the Xbox.

The only reason I have a gold membership now is the watch iPlayer and SkyOD. I occasionally play my cousins at COD or Fifa but they always get the latest version which I have neither the desire nor funds to do so can't play them often either.

No. I'm the same. Especially seeing as my favourite genre is survival horror which is best played alone at night with the lights out. Unfortunately even a genre designed around isolation is turning away from that since Resident Evil IV went and turned the genre into one full of generic third person shooters and now ****ing co-op play is creeping into survival horror as well.

Last edited:
Not at all, I am exactly the same. Have tried the online gaming in the past when I had a free pass, but it just don't excite me!

I found the new Tomb Raider to be very good, first game in a while Ive managed to complete without getting board half way through. It does have a multiplayer mode, but I'm not one of these people who desperately wants all the achievements, so I didn't bother with it.

Bought Tomb Raider on Friday, really enjoying it.

Only game I play online is FIFA. I like playing online because it makes the games feel more varied rather than just playing against the computer. In fact, I never really play the computer, don't think I've even started career mode on this year's game.

Achievements/trophies and stuff in games don't interest me though

Don't think I have played online this year so far or barely even turned the Xbox on but if I do play online it would be Pro Evo as it is much better playing against a real person than the computer or COD or GoW was always quite good for multiplayer online but the angry kids on there are very annoying. The best work around I found was to just plug a headset in and leave it to one-side so you don't have to listen to the crap or have it coming out of the TV if you don't have a headset plugged in.

On the second-hand games situation though. It is a bit of s shitter but that last article sounds a lot better than the rumours around the announcement as at least you will still be able to trade games in and it really isn't a Microsoft only thing as it is what the game producers/publishers want so it will be very surprising if the PS4 set-up regarding used games was massively different.

Last edited:
Don't think I have played online this year so far or barely even turned the Xbox on but if I do play online it would be Pro Evo as it is much better playing against a real person than the computer or COD or GoW was always quite good for multiplayer online but the angry kids on there are very annoying. The best work around I found was to just plug a headset in and leave it to one-side so you don't have to listen to the crap or have it coming out of the TV if you don't have a headset plugged in.

On the second-hand games situation though. It is a bit of s shitter but that last article sounds a lot better than the rumours around the announcement as at least you will still be able to trade games in and it really isn't a Microsoft only thing as it is what the game producers/publishers want so it will be very surprising if the PS4 set-up regarding used games was massively different.

The original CoDs were great single player games but the push towards multiplayer has now left them unplayable in story mode.

I wouldn't say unplayable but the single player campaigns are very short now and I always feel a little disappointed getting to the end so soon. Online multiplayer definitely seems to be the core of the games now though when it should be more 50/50. Hopefully with Microsoft moving to Blue Ray as well it will see a bit more in depth single player games as currently on DL DVDs it doesn't leave a great deal of space for the cinematic style cut scenes etc.

On the game side of things though, Microsoft currently announcing there lead titles at the E3 conference and Forza 5 looks and sounds very appealing so far. Not sure one game would be enough to sway me on the whole Xbox One for fingers crossed for a 360 release too!

Sony have a conference at E3 for 2am this morning so expect more PS4 details in the morning.

The original CoDs were great single player games but the push towards multiplayer has now left them unplayable in story mode.

The cut-scenes every 30 seconds of play, which last for minutes at a time, are insufferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566