Next permanent manager

It's interesting timing. The fact that this is now as good as confirmed, and just 6 days after Man City winning the Champions League final, suggests to me that he was possibly high on the list all along and it was a case of waiting for Man City to get the CL Final out of the way before firming up talks and discussions.

Hopefully that's a cause for optimism...

It doesn't give the impression of a scraping the barrel appointment (like Smith was) IMO.

Let's be honest, given out position now, we were never going to get a manager any of us would really have been happy with.

The sooner we all realise we are a Championship club the better.

Maresca is certainly a punt but it's a better choice than fat frank or slippy g.

Parker may have been a safer option with his previous experience at this level but many weren't particularly happy with that prospect.

Potter was never going to happen in our position and imo, would not have been much more of a guarantee for success than Maresca as there is no guarantee for success in football.

Hopefully this guy should get us a good pick from a very good crop of youngsters from Man City to help us get out of the Championship - it doesn't matter how we do it, we have to do it ASAP.

It's certainly a risk going for Maresca but I think that if it goes well, it could go very well indeed. Certainly much more exciting than the same old, same old names that get mentioned.

First job appears to be done, I'm sure many(BN) will be saying this should have been done weeks ago but we've moved before any of the other relegated teams.

Time to sort out the squad now.

Have to say that this is a genuinely MASSIVE gamble - main things people are focussing on are 'Ooh, he's worked with Pep' or 'Ooh, he'll bring a load of Man City players in on loan' or 'Ooh, he knows Cambiasso'

Nothing to do with whether he can actually manage a team in a crisis in the Championship - or his previous managerial experience, which is pretty shite, let's be honest

Never get anywhere with an Italian manager.....

For the record this strikes me as a shit appointment which goes directly against the main reason why we have succeeded in the past.

Win the premier league by rejecting the current 'brand' of football that is infecting every club.

Now we're back to suckling at the teat of 'how it should be done' by hiring a ****ing mini-pep.

I am aghast.

I don't think any of us can make any kind of judgement of his appointment and likely outcome.

**** knows.

It does indicate a dramatic change of direction for the club though. This is not how they operate usually.

It actually feels a bit like the sort of appointment you might make if you were trying to sell the club or at least dilute your stake.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463