Next permanent manager

Why do people think Richie Wellens may not be a good appointment? As a manager (of Swindon and L Orient) he lost 7 of 46 games?

Why do people think Richie Wellens may not be a good appointment? As a manager (of Swindon and L Orient) he lost 7 of 46 games?
I don't necessarily think that there's many who are adamant he will be rubbish, but he's a punt in the Championship. A bigger one than Robins or even Carrick.

I loved Richie Wellens as a player, and I think he’s done well in his managerial career so far and is likely to progress up the ladder.

But he’s not for us right now. I don’t think we’re quite scraping that low yet. Maybe next season when we’re in League One.

Yes, horrible. 13 points from 19 games

Fourth
Ok, but was that the Doncaster in covid with no players? I think it was. He smashed it at Swindon and L Orient.

I accept it may be too early for him maybe, but Carrick, Kompany etc - I suspect prior to their current tenures would also have been deemed unacceptable.

We need to appoint a modern-thinking manager, hopefully, one with an affinity with the club somehow in my opinion.

What is the obsession with someone that used to be at City as a player?

As far as I can remember, we've only appointed a former player as permanent manager twice (?) - McLintock and Kelly. Both were absolute disasters.

I want someone completely new with no previous association with the club. We need a totally fresh approach.

For me, the key criteria are as follows:

1. On the way up or with something to prove
2. Ambitious with a long term vision and talks positvely about the club
3. Will want a total clearout of backroom staff
4. Strong man manager who can get the best out of his players
5. Pragmatic tactically

Why would someone with no previous association be more worthy? Just because you've pointed out a few bad decisions from over 30/40 years ago?

Richie Wellens was a very good pro and now looks to be a very capable manager. On the way up.

Why would someone with no previous association be more worthy? Just because you've pointed out a few bad decisions from over 30/40 years ago?

Because the club is surrounded by loads of ex-player hangers on who are really not good for the club. Someone like Wellens is mates with some of these and played with some of them. I don't want any of that going on.

What the feckity feck has Wellens ever done anyway? He's never managed anywhere near our level. He's done okay at Orient but has been mostly shite in his other roles. It's a batshit crazy suggestion.

I really don't think it is that crazy, but time will tell.

This time last year if I said Vincent Kompany you'd have had a similar reaction I suspect, same with Carrick.

Because the club is surrounded by loads of ex-player hangers on who are really not good for the club. Someone like Wellens is mates with some of these and played with some of them. I don't want any of that going on.

What the feckity feck has Wellens ever done anyway? He's never managed anywhere near our level. He's done okay at Orient but has been mostly shite in his other roles. It's a batshit crazy suggestion.
And who do you think Wellens has played with?

And who do you think Wellens has played with?

Eh?

For a start, he was a player here when Vardy joined. He was also around the group with Nugent (Vardy's best mate and part-time commentator for RL). He was here with Stowell and people like Matt Reeves from the backroom staff. He was also here when Morgan joined.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Eh?

For a start, he was a player here when Vardy joined. He was also around the group with Nugent (Vardy's best mate and part-time commentator for RL). He was here with Stowell and people like Matt Reeves from the backroom staff. He was also here when Morgan joined.

I'm sure there are plenty more.
So played with one of our current players then.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663