Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
£6 mil is a hell of a lot for Maynard...Florent Malouda is only £5mil and hes premier league, Beckford only £3mil. ?So how can Maynard be so much..

I would rather go for Baldock or Le Fondue

£6 mil is a hell of a lot for Maynard...Florent Malouda is only £5mil and hes premier league, Beckford only £3mil. ?So how can Maynard be so much..

I would rather go for Baldock or Le Fondue

So you would rather have someone who arguably isn't good enough to make the step up, instead of someone who is proven at this level and could well be the missing link we have been looking for and make a massive difference to our season?

It seems that Sven rates this lad VERY highly. I would love to see him join Leicester, but one can wonder just how much worth we'll get for 6 million. 'If he scores us to the Premier league he'll be worth it' is a tried and tested defence for this kind of spending, but after promotion will he be capable of making the step up?

With a little luck the payment will be largely based on our eventual promotion and Maynards scoring record. After the shitshow that was Akinibiyi I'm fairly worried about bringing in an overpriced under-scoring forward.

That being said I feel that with a strike duo of Maynard and Nugent we'd bang them in. Nugent, if luck had swung his way, would be on 4 in 4 for us at this point wouldn't he? Maynard has also shown that he's not oblivious to the net and goals are a valuable commodity in any wake of football life.

Gerrimin if the price is right.

So you would rather have someone who arguably isn't good enough to make the step up, instead of someone who is proven at this level and could well be the missing link we have been looking for and make a massive difference to our season?

You missed a trick in not pointing out the hilarious spelling of his name there... What would BM think?

I just think that £6mil is far to much for a player that has only been a 20 goal a season striker once and that was 2 seasons ago.

Also what happened to not being held to ransom and paying over inflated prices for players?

I just think that £6mil is far to much for a player that has only been a 20 goal a season striker once and that was 2 seasons ago.

Also what happened to not being held to ransom and paying over inflated prices for players?

I agree it's a lot of money, but that's not my problem.

As for being held to ransom, well, it's getting near to the end of the window, do or die time...

As for being held to ransom, well, it's getting near to the end of the window, do or die time...

A lot of people seemed to think that the closing of the window would result in Bristol dropping their price to reduce the risk of losing him on a free...or am I mistaken?

Either way, if the Thais are prepared to pay it and it is percieved as a good deal then all the griping in the world won't change it.

It is interesting to speculate about how much a Premier League club would have to pay for him. If, for example, Wolves came in with a 3 million pound offer it's tempting to say that the step up to the Premier League, coupled with Wolves not being an immediate threat to Bristol, would force Bristols hand a little. In this respect we could be seen to be victims of our own circumstance, a position Bristol will be very aware of. A good Championship striker is worth so much more to a Championship team.

Why does everyone get so hung up on this? If he scores 19, does that mean hes failed? Yes 20 a season would be nice, but its more about his team game, if he can score 15 but create an extra 10-15 for the midfield to score that we wouldn't have gotten without him, then that is much better.

Why does everyone get so hung up on this? If he scores 19, does that mean hes failed? Yes 20 a season would be nice, but its more about his team game, if he can score 15 but create an extra 10-15 for the midfield to score that we wouldn't have gotten without him, then that is much better.

exactly, one of yakubu's best traits was his hold up play.

I couldn't care less how much he costs, I'm not paying.

if he can score 15 but create an extra 10-15 for the midfield to score that we wouldn't have gotten without him, then that is much better.

This.

This is why players like Izzet and Garry Parker were worth their weight in gold at their peak. Weighing in with 5/6/7/8/9/10 goals a season is a lovely thing, but if you can provide them then you become a valuable commodity. Remember Steve Guppy....not a prolific scorer, but the amount of chances he set on for his team mates was phenomenal.

I am aware I am comparing midfielders to strikers, but the sentiment remains the same. Quality service on the football pitch is an excellent aspect to have in the team.

For example, should you stick a regular member of the public up front for Man Utd the chances are he'd score a few goals during the course of the season. Not as a result of ability, but as a result of Giggs et al's mercurial talent in spotting the killer pass, cross or through ball. A striker that provides and scores would be a force to be reckoned with in this division. If I remember rightly Brian Deane was a capable forward when it came to laying on goals.

We haven't had a 20 goal a season striker at this level since Gary Lineker yet have been promoted.

Yes, I'm sure Maynard will get us goals, but until the midfield can manage to pass it beyond the halfway line and create some space for each other then I think most of our strikeforce will be largely ineffective, especially against teams the will pack all their players behind the ball (which will be most of them).

£6m is over the odds but he's a talented player and without his few injuries he probably would have had 20 a season in each of his last few seasons for Bristol City. His scoring ratio is consistantly excellent regardless. 3 in 4 this season, 6 in 12 last, 20 in 42 before that. For Crewe he has had 16 in 31 and 15 in 27. In his only 'average' season he had 11 in 42 during his first season at Bristol City.

I reckon I'm worth about £5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670