Oakley Signs New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What confuses me is that SGE has quite clearly said that this contract extension is largely because of his influence off the pitch and his effect on the team off the pitch. That people think they have a better insight on day to day training and player's attitudes and personalities off the pitch than SGE.

You just don't geddit. All this off pitch nonsense is irrelevant in FM or FIFA, so how could it possibly make any difference in the real world? Eh? Eh?

Sven out!!!

You just don't geddit. All this off pitch nonsense is irrelevant in FM or FIFA, so how could it possibly make any difference in the real world? Eh? Eh?

Sven out!!!

Nonesense, in FM you can have press conferences and player disputes and all sorts.

Nonesense, in FM you can have press conferences and player disputes and all sorts.

You're an idiot, all of that is just a distraction to the real game. We shouldn't be concentrating on giving short contract extensions to influential players, we should be signing automatons that can be directed via a hand-held controller plugged directly into the pitch. Then we'll see how good Sventicles really is. It's all down to the hand-eye coordination of the manager, that's the only way we can win the World Cup.
If his thumbs aren't up to the job, then he should be replaced immediately by somebody who knows how the real world works. Someone like olip6.

Sven OUT, olip6 for manager!!!111!11

It makes sense to have people like Howard and Oakley around when your team is made up of youngsters. I can't see them playing a major part on the field of play but I suspect they are superb to have around the training ground.

What confuses me is that SGE has quite clearly said that this contract extension is largely because of his influence off the pitch and his effect on the team off the pitch. That people think they have a better insight on day to day training and player's attitudes and personalities off the pitch than SGE.

:038::038::038::038:

I dont see the problem with it, if he is a good influence around the club then its worthwhile.

I have no problem at all with him being here another season.
Clearly Sven understands the club needs to have some eye candy, however infrequently it's put on show!:038:

Meh.

Hoping he isn't club captain next season...would like the captain to be on the pitch most of the time.

Don't clubs still have their Club captain AND a team captain?

I have no problem at all with him being here another season.
Clearly Sven understands the club needs to have some eye candy, however infrequently it's put on show!:038:

:038::038::038::038:

Don't clubs still have their Club captain AND a team captain?

I thought so :102:

I keep going back to the fascinating Q&A that Sven gave at the Walkers about three weeks ago. He said that one of the most important things was to have players who have a positive energy rather than negative energy and that was why one of our players had been loaned out. Sven may feel that the positive influence of Oakley and Howard make them worth having.

In the 1970s I attended a Q&A with Frank O'Farrell just after a legendary player called Davie Gibson had left. Unlike most managers of the 1960s and 1970s O'Farrell seemd not to know his best team and did not name it the previous day. Sometimes he picked Gibson and sometimes not. For this he was heavily and repeatedly criticiised not least in The Mercury. O'Farrell said that the reason for this was that he would not pick his team until he had seen the state of the pitch. Gibson was still able to play on a good pitch but was no longer able to cope with playing in mud. He had been unable to explain at the time as this would reduce Gibson's value in the transfer market.
The point of this story is that the manager is aware of things that we are not and we should hesitate before criticizing managers about individual players

In the 1970s I attended a Q&A with Frank O'Farrell just after a legendary player called Davie Gibson had left. Unlike most managers of the 1960s and 1970s O'Farrell seemd not to know his best team and did not name it the previous day. Sometimes he picked Gibson and sometimes not. For this he was heavily and repeatedly criticiised not least in The Mercury. O'Farrell said that the reason for this was that he would not pick his team until he had seen the state of the pitch. Gibson was still able to play on a good pitch but was no longer able to cope with playing in mud.

Interesting. IIRC O'Farrell unloaded Gibbo, Bobby Roberts and Peter Rodrigues within the space of a few weeks at the beginning of the 70-71 promotion season and spent more or less the same amount on two combative midfielders - Bobby Kellard and Willie Carlin - arguably the most effective ploy any Leicester manager pulled to get us out of this wretched division.

Matt Oakley isn't really the answer to anyone's prayers, but apart from the Smith/Lineker inspired campaign in 83, and Micky Adams embargoed side, we do tend to succeed through experience, steel and graft rather than flair, which if MO still has anything - he has the former.

Last edited:
In this particular case, Sventicles has explicitly explained his reasoning behind this so I'm not confused in the slightest about it.

The only thing confusing me, is why so many are confused by this.

I said lots of things confuse me and not necessarily this. :)

I keep going back to the fascinating Q&A that Sven gave at the Walkers about three weeks ago. He said that one of the most important things was to have players who have a positive energy rather than negative energy and that was why one of our players had been loaned out. Sven may feel that the positive influence of Oakley and Howard make them worth having.

In the 1970s I attended a Q&A with Frank O'Farrell just after a legendary player called Davie Gibson had left. Unlike most managers of the 1960s and 1970s O'Farrell seemd not to know his best team and did not name it the previous day. Sometimes he picked Gibson and sometimes not. For this he was heavily and repeatedly criticiised not least in The Mercury. O'Farrell said that the reason for this was that he would not pick his team until he had seen the state of the pitch. Gibson was still able to play on a good pitch but was no longer able to cope with playing in mud. He had been unable to explain at the time as this would reduce Gibson's value in the transfer market.
The point of this story is that the manager is aware of things that we are not and we should hesitate before criticizing managers about individual players

David, can I recommended the book in the link above I am currently reading.

I'm finding it very interesting as it explains a lot behind his ideas in management. I'm not saying Sven's ways are correct, but it does give reasons behind some of the decisions he's been criticised for.

For example, in one section he talks about how he believes the need to change the side when on a good run (something he was criticised for recently) as it adds pressure on the players and stops them from getting complacent.

He also talks about his style of play needing 3 "players of iron," (meaning from a mental point of view, rather than a physical one) given that he has come out and said that his side don't talk and he's said that his side often haven't shown "the spirit" I get the feeling he doesn't feel he has those 3 players yet (maybe he considers Oakley to be one).

P.S. My dad will always tell you Dave Gibson was the best Leicester player he's ever seen.7

edit: Can't seem to copy an amazon link on here, but it's a book called "Sven-Goran Eriksson on Management"

Last edited:
Bollocks to what it sounds like. No way Oakley decides who the club captain is.

No one said he can decide who the club captain is, but if he is club captain he can chose to resign from his post if he wishes, which to me, is what sounds like has happened.

Last edited:
Paying a player a wedge just for them to turn up to training is a nonsense whichever way you cut it...but no more than the rest of the obscene waste of money that's currently being flushed away by the owners. It's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669