Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a few less people followed a certain twit there wouldn't be half as much bs around.

If a few less people followed a certain twit there wouldn't be half as much bs around.

And then what would we talk about?!

Also, not sure what Stephen Fry has to do with all this. Although he's still better than some of the names mentioned, I'm not sure that he's had enough experience.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....tory-19015617-detail/story.html#axzz2TYNXz0w8

Nigel Pearson will be manager of Leicester City at the start of next season.

Speculation has been rife since the end of the campaign that Pearson was set to be sacked by City after their failure to gain promotion to the Premier League.

National newspaper reports have frequently speculated that City’s owners were set to make a change.

However, the Mercury understands Pearson’s position is safe and he has begun planning for next season’s promotion challenge with the club’s hierarchy.

City only missed out on a place in next Monday’s play-off final at Wembley after a dramatic final minute at Watford last Sunday when Anthony Knockaert saw his penalty saved and Troy Deeney scored for the Hornets on the break 20 seconds later.

It was the closest City have come to promotion since Pearson’s first tenure as manager, when City were again denied a place in the play-off final after a dramatic penalty shoot-out at Cardiff City in 2010.

The season before that he lead City to the League One title in his first campaign in charge.

Pearson has put together a young squad with scope to improve and develop, and it is understood the club’s owners, the Srivaddhanaprabha family, feel progress has been made under Pearson.

Also, Pearson has shown he can operate wisely financially and his squad now has more assets than before, with players who have a strong market value because of their potential.

With Financial Fair Play regulations due to come in next season, the way Pearson has operated in the transfer market, to remove high wage earners and recruit young and hungry players, is considered an asset.

With the backing of the board, Pearson will continue to move on players he deems surplus to requirements and high wage earners, such as Jermaine Beckford who is the subject of Bolton's attention. Then he will be given the funds to strengthen his squad and build on the progress made this season.

I am afraid that the club are probably doing the right thing, as far as season tickets sales are concerned: you can buy your ticket because you think that NP is doing a good job or, because you believe that he is not but is going to get the push. This is a trick learned by politicians; they are always more popular before announcing policy.

For similar reasons, I do not expect to be told, at the moment, whether we are following spend, spend, spend, or cutting our cloth.... but, it would be nice to know as the season nears. Nigel Pearson cannot have decided unilaterally to move to a policy of youngsters this season - the board must have sanctioned each deal - and yet, it has never been suggested that we were departing from Sven's mad dash for the Premier League.

I don't think that they need to make a statement about any change in strategy. We already know that the policy followed when Sven was around was unsustainable - not because of the new Football Leagues financial restrictions because there will be plenty of loopholes. The reason is that the owners aren't daft and will not have appreciated a money down the drain approach on allegedly big names who don't actually do anything very much.

I've no doubt that Pearson has ticked the right boxes re curbing spending including bringing in younger, cheaper players. No problem with that. My gripe is that the club missed a worthwhile and potentially massive financial reward by not strengthening the squad at a crucial time - also in loaning out players who he may have fallen out with, he was left short of numbers at the death.

Spectacular work from Bert.

He's like a one-man Trust. Which, thinking about it, is almost what the Trust is anyway.

You'll do well ;)

Which, coincidentally, appears to be the exact opposite of how you've done with your info. :)

If the Mercury is right that is but I bloody hope so and the owners have seen sense.

Last edited:
I don't think that they need to make a statement about any change in strategy. We already know that the policy followed when Sven was around was unsustainable - not because of the new Football Leagues financial restrictions because there will be plenty of loopholes. The reason is that the owners aren't daft and will not have appreciated a money down the drain approach on allegedly big names who don't actually do anything very much.

I've no doubt that Pearson has ticked the right boxes re curbing spending including bringing in younger, cheaper players. No problem with that. My gripe is that the club missed a worthwhile and potentially massive financial reward by not strengthening the squad at a crucial time - also in loaning out players who he may have fallen out with, he was left short of numbers at the death.

The real pity is that NP wasn't allowed to continue on his roll the first time around. The sixteen months that he was away was a real waste of the position he had put us into. The owners would not have lost money if they bought the club without insisting on change. It was their foolishness and belief that they could buy promotion that lost them their money.

Spot on Boc, I would have been confident going up the year after Cardiff if Pearson was still in charge and see this as no different apart from being a better team now than we were then.

Would be sheer stupidity to replace him again.

Quite pleased to have some clarity about the manager's position. The stuff in Tanner's article about offloading higher paid players and reinforcing the squad with young players with potential is encouraging but also means that the supporters need to temper their expectations somewhat. The fleeting days of 'big spending Leicester' (which have continued under Pearson, whether some choose to acknowledge that or not) are probably over as the owners appear to have learned from their early stupidity and are now attempting to run the club more sustainably.

My only real concern about sticking with Pearson is the football. I can cope with us falling short of promotion. That happens when you're a Leicester City fan. But attacking football would be nice. In the first half of the season I felt I was getting value for my season ticket money. From February onwards I was bored at a number of games. No more of that, thanks.

We don't. But football would be pretty boring if we knew everything before it happened. He is staying. Let's just get behind him and the players when the season begins. If we do badly he'll be gone. Let's hope he doesn't do badly.

Last edited:
imo he changed the style when Wood was signed, prior to that the ball was played to the stikers (Nuge, Vardy, Waggy) feet , more pleasing on the eye but we lacked goals at that time

imo he changed the style when Wood was signed, prior to that the ball was played to the stikers (Nuge, Vardy, Waggy) feet , more pleasing on the eye but we lacked goals at that time

Which is strange seeing as Wood is shite in the air, especially when we play with no one else beyond him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669