Pearson Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamworth Fox

Nigel Pearson will be named as Leicester's manager today after chairman Milan Mandaric decided to go with his intial choice despite a late bid by former Aston Villa manager John Gregory.

The former Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough skipper was considered unlucky to be sacked by Southampton despite stepping in late to rescue the Hampshire club from relegation to League One.

Nigel Pearson will be named as Leicester's manager today after chairman Milan Mandaric decided to go with his intial choice despite a late bid by former Aston Villa manager John Gregory.

The former Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough skipper was considered unlucky to be sacked by Southampton despite stepping in late to rescue the Hampshire club from relegation to League One.

Pearson, 44, will be handed one brief by demanding owner Mandaric - to restore Leicester to the Championship after the disastrous relegation that knocked the club out of the top two divisions for the first time in their 114 years.

The former West Brom and Newcastle No2 plans to recruit two right-hand men in a departure from the football norm.

He is expected to bring in Craig Shakespeare, briefly a team-mate at Sheffield Wednesday and now taking the reserves at West Brom, as Leicester's assistant manager with responsibility for coaching.

Pearson will also appoint an assistant manager to oversee recruitment in Steve Walsh — not the former Leicester player, but his namesake who was Newcastle's chief scout under Sam Allardyce after quitting Chelsea.

Can't say I have an opinion either way.

Not excited by it, but neither have I caught up with the other TB members who are already at wrist slitting stage.

He'll be popular because he isn't John Gregory, nor does he have ginger hair. Slightly concerned he's no oil painting though, I'm sure a few on here would have preferred George Clooney.

Silly me, I'm getting all carried away with the mood and thinking it's all about what he looks like :icon_roll:icon_cool

Last edited:
I don't really see what he has done with his managerial career thus far:

* Wba- had a brief stint as Caretaker manager. He won them games and guided them into the play offs from mid-table.

* Southampton- kept them up.

Done what he has been asked to do. If true I'm not that disappointed with this appointment TBH

Has the potential to become a good manager thought he was treated unfairly at Southampton and I for one am happier with this choice compared to Worthington and Gregory.

I have to agree really better choice than that retard Gregory - this manager thing has gone on long enough and I for one just want someone in there ASAP!!! Pull your finger out Milan and do it already as Finkle of starsky and hutch once said...

"appoint a manager........... DO IT, DO IT !!!! DO IT, DO IT !!! "

The only thing I can think of is that he got enough into that Southampton side to keep them up. :icon_conf Slim pickings.

Can anybody educate me as to why Pearson is a better Manager than Gregory, please?

Can anybody educate me as to why Pearson is a better Manager than Gregory, please?

The truth is that Pearson would represent a gamble over JG. :icon_conf

Lets face it his objectives at each club he was at:

Carlisle- Stay up - achieved it.

WBA- Get them up in a play off position - achieved it

Southampton - Keep them up - achieved it

Newcastle- n/a

So I have two answers to my question

1) He's not better, just a better gamble

2) He's avoided relegation 3 times.

All be it this will only be his 3rd proper manager job. But in his short stint at each club he has achieved what was expected of him. I'm probably the only one who is happy about this appointment :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566