Pearson to Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEN3

By...

do you mean all you did was completely revitalised the club, had the greatest win ratio in the club's history, brought in some of the most exciting players the club has had for years, fought back away to one of the best teams in the division after a dressing-room bust up and low morale thanks to your centre back, winning the title at a canter after taking over a squad in disarray with several of its best players leaving and cutting the wage bill and getting to the play-offs after just being promoted having spent pretty much a Championship average on transfer fees, and all while under a chairman who is notorious for meddling and who has fallen out and sacked numerous managers in the past? :102:

The greatest win ratio was because, in the history of the club, he had the easiest ever teams to play against, ie third division.

I agree that Jack Hobbs is an exciting player and Michael Morrison is a good prospect, but which other players are you referring to - Neilsen, Kermorgant,Solano...

Has he really cut the wage bill? If so, how? Why doesn't this cost cutting exercise show itself in the accounts?

In terms of transfers, I suspect that the net amount spent last year was around £ 2m, which is certainly more than the 'average' Championship side.

If you look back at the Managers that we have had since the 1970s and consider their achievements, Pearson is well behind Bloomfield, Wallace, Milne, Little, O'Neill and Adams. He is probably on par with Rob Kelly (great achivement to keep us up on a limited budget).

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
who are the potential investors?

attachment.php

PFKAKTF FOX

Plus Milan's usual "There has been considerable interest in the vacancy......blah blah"

GaryParker

I can only assume we will see a takeover in the coming days/weeks. This whole thing makes no sense at all.

Hi Chaps, just been reading a few of the lines in this thread.

Must say I sympathise with losing your manager like this, although it seems that the reason for him leaving is more to do with your end than ours.

I have however, been a little taken back by the comments about Hull and HCFC. I can understand you are angry with Pearson being allowed to leave but you really should re-examine your perceptions of our two clubs.

From our point of view our two clubs are, today, relatively equal in stature. I'm not into this "Who is the BIGGER Club" thing as it is pointless and has little to do with why managers choose one club over another. Leicester and Hull are VERY similar in size as is the catchment area so as far as "Potential" (which is what might be a concern for Pearson) his move is sideways. As for Hull being a tip, it isn't. Like most urban areas in this country it has it's run-down parts but equally it has many attrictive areas as well, particularly in the surrounding regions of the Yorkshire Wolds. That is, largely, irrelevant to Nigel Pearson as he can quite easily commute from Sheffield, where I believe he lives. Our stadia are relatively compatible as well, we have a 25k arena that was sold out for every game last season and the season before. If the capacity wasn't reached it was either because the away fans failed to sell out or the police restrictions on vacant seats. We also have plans in place to increas the capacity to around 35k, all that is holding that back is financing which will largely depend on us returning to the Premiership.

On the subject of finance, again I think you are mis-reading certain things. First of all we were, at the end of last season in a very dodgy state due to the excesses of our previous Chairman (not owner) who departed when the owner found out how much of his money he had blown.
We were about £35m in debt with wages at an unbelieveable level of £39m a year.
However, the new guy in charge, Adam Pearson (who was the chairman when we rocketed through the divisions 7 years ago) has recovered the situation considerably. With the contracts coming to a natural end in June and "relegation" caluses in existing contracts, the wages fell to £21m pa. Then we sold 3 players (Hunt, Mouyokolo and Marney) which saved another £3m a year, and we are about to hive off Jimmy Bullard to Celtic for another £2m a year. Our budget for next season is £15m, so as you can see, we are just about there.

The debt has come down as well as we have received £6m for those players sold.

On the income side we will recieve £16m this year, £16m next year and £8m a year for the following two season after that, amounting to £48m.

So that will comfortably wipe out the debt with some monies left over for acquisitions and wages.

Now as I understand it Leicester City are in the region of £26m in debt, which is why Mandaric is having to make economies. The big difference here, however, is that you do not have the luxury of parachute payments that we will enjoy.

So whilst Pearson has been told he has to sell before he can buy at Leicester, and that he will have to make further cuts (I believe to the backroom / support staff), he has been promised at HCFC that he can retain the majority of the squad that was built up in the Premiership, and that he has money to invest in new players, and he can have his own back-room team.

In summary, I am sure if Pearson had not had the restrictions imposed on him at the Walkers we would not be where we are now. Also, you have to question a Club that has had as many managers as you have in such a short period of time. That's not a dig at the club but the ownership, which may also be a contributory factor in the management move.

All the best next season chaps, there is always a silver lining. You seem to have new investors in the wings and you might very well end up with who I quite fancied at the KC, Tony Mowbray who is PROVEN at this level.

4-4-2

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

The Club regrets to announce that Nigel Pearson has today left Leicester City and has joined Hull City Football Club. Chairman Milan Mandaric said:

“We were greatly surprised to receive the initial approach from Hull. The past few years have been a turbulent time for both me and the supporters at Leicester City. We have been striving to get a degree of continuity at the Club; however, Nigel has done a fantastic job for us and it would have been wrong of us to deny him the opportunity to speak to another club if he wished. After speaking to him, we have reluctantly agreed that if he wished to pursue this opportunity at Hull, we would permit it. I am deeply grateful to Nigel for everything he has done for the Club. He has put together the foundations of a strong squad and it is now up to us to find a manager to build on those foundations.”

Last edited:
A coherent post from an opposing fan. I congratulate you for that even if I don't agree with everything in it. :038:
There was some Hull Mug on the FT boards a couple of days ago spouting racist shite. Best not to entertain him if it is the same GaryParker.

Matt_B

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

The Club regrets to announce that Nigel Pearson has today left Leicester City and has joined Hull City Football Club. Chairman Milan Mandaric said:

“We were greatly surprised to receive the initial approach from Hull. The past few years have been a turbulent time for both me and the supporters at Leicester City. We have been striving to get a degree of continuity at the Club; however, Nigel has done a fantastic job for us and it would have been wrong of us to deny him the opportunity to speak to another club if he wished. After speaking to him, we have reluctantly agreed that if he wished to pursue this opportunity at Hull, we would permit it. I am deeply grateful to Nigel for everything he has done for the Club. He has put together the foundations of a strong squad and it is now up to us to find a manager to build on those foundations.”

Fair enough really. I am actually quite excited to see what is around the corner, I'll probably one of vvery few though.

spionfox

There was some Hull Mug on the FT boards a couple of days ago spouting racist shite. Best not to entertain him if it is the same GaryParker.

Wasn't aware of that as I don't frequent FT.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670