People That Piss You Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, isn't 'murder is wrong' more of a tautology rather than a moral, since to murder is to kill unlawfully or wickedly?

'murder is wrong' is an opinion, the sense of wrong is a personal emotion, not one endowed by law. it would only be tautological if your sense of right or wrong were dictated by a book, mine isn't

'murder is wrong' is an opinion, the sense of wrong is a personal emotion, not one endowed by law. it would only be tautological if your sense of right or wrong were dictated by a book, mine isn't

Nah. 'To kill is wrong' is an opinion, or moral value. Murder is 'to kill wrongly' and therefore to say 'to murder is wrong' is tautological.

Nah. 'To kill is wrong' is an opinion, or moral value. Murder is 'to kill wrongly' and therefore to say 'to murder is wrong' is tautological.

ha, er ok "to end the life of someone is wrong"

point taken

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Can't argue with logic like that.

That's absolutely correct, you can't because the logic is sound.

The only possible argument that you could have would be to show me some morality in the Bible that an undiscovered tribe in Papua new Guinea wouldn't hold true, without the benefit of a book of fairy tales

I would question the sanity of anybody that takes comfort, inspiration and guidance from the Bible, and congratulate them on their selective reading abilities.
Do they sit down and say to themselves "I need some comfort, let me open the Bible and read a nice, wholesome story about incest or genocide"?

Agreed, selective reading is required to make the Bible an all-virtuous, positive, life-affirming, educational read. But selective reading is also required to make it full of hatred and nastyness.

Most of the people that you're talking about take comfort from their religion, not the Bible, because they are terrified of their own mortality or because of the indoctrination that they were subjected to as children when their brain was still developing, myself included. The vast majority of who will have never actually read the book that their religion is partially based upon.

Agree with this, aside from the fact that it is very possible to believe in religion / have faith without indoctrination or fear and with total free will.

i'd say religion has had a few good effects, but my main objection is that it's all a lie used to control people

I'm hoping that's at least partially tongue in cheek, because it's a sweeping, irresponsible generalisation.

i would say hatred of religion is a pretty decent stand point for a lot of people, say catholic choirboys that have been abused

Religion didn't make anyone a paedophile. I could understand them being angry at religion by association, but in actual fact the only person they should be angry at is the abuser.

I'm hoping that's at least partially tongue in cheek, because it's a sweeping, irresponsible generalisation.

er no tongue in cheek

are you questioning the lie or the use of it to control people?

irresponsible? bless, are the streets running amok now i've dared to question whether some white bloke in a beard created the universe in six days?

Religion didn't make anyone a paedophile

says who?

1) it certainly aided the priests and helped them cover it up
2) it may well have done by not allowing catholic priests to have wives

Last edited:
Agreed, selective reading is required to make the Bible an all-virtuous, positive, life-affirming, educational read. But selective reading is also required to make it full of hatred and nastyness.

The vast majority of it is appalling hate-filled nastiness and it contains no morality that isn't already innate in all normal human beings. Which was my original point that you found to be the most offensive thing that you've ever read on this forum.

Agree with this, aside from the fact that it is very possible to believe in religion / have faith without indoctrination or fear and with total free will.

Of course it is, but that doesn't make it the truth. Also, the motive for having faith without indoctrination can be nothing more than a fear for your own mortality.

Not in the slightest, it's an absolute truth. Religion is a cynical political device.

Religion didn't make anyone a paedophile. I could understand them being angry at religion by association, but in actual fact the only person they should be angry at is the abuser.

Religious institutions assisted and protected people that raped and abused children and continues to protect them. That is a nauseating, indefensible and disgusting crime.

Last edited:
The parents who park right outside of Blaby Utd FC, causing traffic problems, just because they can't be arsed to use the carpark situated just a few yards away. I bet it won't be their fault when their offspring grow up fat and lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669