Pompey still in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope they get through it, wouldn't wish banruptcy on anyone, not even Forest.

HMRC are out to 'get' clubs atm, as they're peeved off that they have fallen down in the pecking order of creditors payments upon liquidation, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me for them to hound a few big clubs or companies until they are paid the full amount or are wound up.

HMRC are out to 'get' clubs atm, as they're peeved off that they have fallen down in the pecking order of creditors payments upon liquidation, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me for them to hound a few big clubs or companies until they are paid the full amount or are wound up.

I think it's quite right that HMRC should stick out for what they are owed. Football is swimming with money; why should the tax-man not collect what is due to him?

I think it's quite right that HMRC should stick out for what they are owed. Football is swimming with money; why should the tax-man not collect what is due to him?

I imagine they have been lenient in the past due to the large sums that football pays. If clubs are managed properly then football should be a cash rich business where tax could be paid on the spot, unfortunately many clubs are far from that. The 'pay when you can be arsed' mentality is hopefully going to cease.

Be sods law that they vanish considering I've just sorted out my feckin trains for the away trip in September. It does make me resent the club with all the shite being spewed along the lines of "they're picking on us"

Like any other business if you owe tax you have to pay it.

They owe it and it is a massive amount and so they should now pay the consequences. I for one will be glad to see the feckers go. Horrid club and animal fans!!!!

Decision being handed down now apparently

What a surprise, HMRC lost

Last edited:
Shocker. Why are football clubs routinely allowed to get away with these things when other businesses would be forced to cease trading?

The court decision is that Pompey only owe £24million, rather than the £37million that HMRC think they are owed.

Figures may be wrong but they are somewhere around those numbers.

The difference being that HMRC think that image rights paid to players should be taxable. The £13m difference in the figures above is what pompey would have to pay if this were the case. The £24m is from standard wages.

Pompey will still have to pay up the £24million which was part of the CVA.

Thay haven't "got away" with anything. HMRC were just trying to set a precedent when it comes to players receiving image rights. If they pulled it off they could charge every other club in the same way.

Last edited:
Thay haven't "got away" with anything. HMRC were just trying to set a precedent when it comes to players receiving image rights. If they pulled it off they could charge every other club in the same way.

They have got away with it as HMRC will now only get a maximum of 20p in the £ and no tax on the image rights. Unfortunately for HMRC they haven't had time to take the issue of image rights before the tax tribunal, because in my humble opinion they would have won. The image rights deals for Pompey players was tax evasion pure and simple, as the image rights earned by Pompey, on their own admission came in at under £1 million per annum, but they were paying many millions to those players for the self same rights. Nothing to do with the fact the club saved paying national insurance and the players paid no tax or national insurance as the image rights were paid to companies based in tax havens. HMRC are taking the same argument to many other clubs and will get a pretty penny in I'm sure ( the rugby league and rugby football union are trying to reach agreement on a league basis with the taxman ), but with the much larger amounts involved football clubs are being dealt with on a club by club basis. Pompey were very lucky that they went into administration before the taxman got properly after them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670