Pre Match Portsmouth (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was but I don't get to any games. :)

I thought he was going to be a steady Championship defender at the very least, shows what I know. But won't rule him out altogether yet, he's still got some time to prove me right...

Joe Mattock is 21.

The old memory plays tricks but my recollection from four years ago is among the dross of the relegation season, that clutch of young talented players (Stearman, Mattock less so Jonny Hayes and Weso, and barely on the radar one A. King) were a very obvious bright spot. Funny how the one who stayed seems to have made the most progress. Perhaps the old adage that at Leicester, talent always heads for the door marked exit, isn't so true any longer.

As for Joe Mattock, he needs an injury free run, a run of proper competitive games, and keep the weight off - if Gareth McAuley can stroll around the Prem with WBA, I don't see why he can't, though I always thought he'd end up as a midfielder, his defending was always a bit dodgy.

The old memory plays tricks but my recollection from four years ago is among the dross of the relegation season, that clutch of young talented players (Stearman, Mattock less so Jonny Hayes and Weso, and barely on the radar one A. King) were a very obvious bright spot. Funny how the one who stayed seems to have made the most progress.

Stearman had been playing regularly in the Premier League.

I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see the midfield change slightly now that Pearson's had a chance to fully assess all the players as it was said somewhere that the main reason he picked his old boys for the Palace game was because he 'knew what he would get'.

I'd stick with Gally, King and Wellens - all three were fantastic last weekend - but Dyer didn't have a great game for me. I wouldn't mind seeing Schlupp given a go on the left wing; he certainly matches Dyer for pace but he's still very young and he's got the legs to last 90 minutes. I think he might bring a bit more invention to the role as well. Dyer seems to be able to run at players, but not do a lot else after that.

Schlupp is nowhere near the finished article yet and playing him out of position, ahead of more capable players, would only hinder his progress, not help it.

There's a lot of talk about youth in this thread. The problem with young players coming through at Leicester is that as soon as the fans see one good performance they think that the player has become a superstar over night. A few goals in a league cup game does not make you ready for regular football in the Championship. He needs easing in bit by bit, not thrown in whenever we're a bit short of ideas.

Schlupp is nowhere near the finished article yet and playing him out of position, ahead of more capable players, would only hinder his progress, not help it.

There's a lot of talk about youth in this thread. The problem with young players coming through at Leicester is that as soon as the fans see one good performance they think that the player has become a superstar over night. A few goals in a league cup game does not make you ready for regular football in the Championship. He needs easing in bit by bit, not thrown in whenever we're a bit short of ideas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although he's naturally a striker, he's been played on the left wing on several occasions. He seems to have some important qualities for that position - he would certainly be as good as Dyer on the wing, as pace seems to be the only dimension to Dyer's game. Schlupp's also got the advantage of youth on his side, meaning he'll be able to get up and down the wing for a full 90 minutes, whereas Dyer seems to run out of steam after about 60. Also, Schlupp is a very naturally strong player, I think Lloyd is a bit too lightweight sometimes.

I don't think he's a superstar, I don't think he's anywhere near the finished article, but I'd rather see him in the side on the left wing than Dyer as I think he could do Dyer's job better.

He needs easing in bit by bit, not thrown in whenever we're a bit short of ideas.

Also, I don't remember Pearson 'easing' Andy King into the side; he recognised he was good enough and played him. If Pearson thinks Schlupp is good enough to be in the side, I don't think he'll any reservations at all about playing him.

I don't believe in this notion that players need 'easing in' either, I think if a player has potential he will only realise that by getting a sustained run of games in the first team. How many promising players have languished in the reserves of big clubs, getting the odd Carling Cup game and never come to anything?

You look at some of the best English players to come through in recent years - Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott - all these players developed significantly when exposed to regular first team football.

Players who are restricted to the occasional cup appearance often get farmed out on loan and end up plying their trade in a lower league.

Saying pace seems to be the only dimension to Dyer's game, then using Theo Walcott as an example of a player who has developed significantly since given regular first team football seems a bit weird. Given that Walcott is basically exactly the same type of player as Dyer and really hasn't improved much at all, because his game is all about his pace and people have been crying out for Walcott to add more to his game his whole career and he never has. Also, if Theo Walcott is considered one of the three best talents to come through in England in recent years then there is something seriously, seriously wrong with this country's youth development programme, he's a very average player who lives off the very occasional great performance.

As for Dyer, he's just incredibly inconsistent, always has been for us. He didn't have the best of games on Sunday, but he could go and change the game tomorrow or he could have another game where he does very little, that's just the way he is.

Saying pace seems to be the only dimension to Dyer's game, then using Theo Walcott as an example of a player who has developed significantly since given regular first team football seems a bit weird. Given that Walcott is basically exactly the same type of player as Dyer and really hasn't improved much at all, because his game is all about his pace and people have been crying out for Walcott to add more to his game his whole career and he never has.

I was making two completely different points - with Dyer I was merely stating that his game relies on pace, and pace alone. When I made reference to Walcott, it was to state that he has improved as a player due to exposure to first team football, not making a comment on his style of play. Do you think he would be the exact same player if he hadn't been playing in the first team over the past few years? I wasn't making any kind of judgement on his style of play, just that he has progressed.

Also, if Theo Walcott is considered one of the three best talents to come through in England in recent years then there is something seriously, seriously wrong with this country's youth development programme, he's a very average player who lives off the very occasional great performance.

I personally rate him as a player and I think he's certainly come along since he moved to Arsenal. His game might be a little one dimensional and he can be far too inconsistent at times, but I believe he will continue to develop into a quality player. He's already an important player in a side that will at least make the top 6 of the Premier League this season and he will surely be a mainstay in the England team for years to come - I'm not suggesting he's world class, but I think labelling him as average is a little harsh.

He's not an important player for Arsenal though, is he? That's a bit like saying Dyer is an important player for us. He's just a rotation player who has the occasional great performance but is easily replaceable.

His 18 appearances and 16 starts so far this season would suggest otherwise. It would also suggest Wenger is of the opinion that he is an important first team player too.

How many starts has Dyer made this season?

Last edited:
I agree I think Wenger may have treated Walcott as a luxury in the past but this season he has decided that him and VP are vital to Arsenals chances of doing well this season and kept them for as many games as possible and possibly even protected them when he felt it necessary. Wenger perhaps realises that Fab going is not as bad as first thought.

Last edited:
Yep. Walcott is clearly one of the first names on Wenger's, and Capello's for that matter, team sheet...and rightly so, he's been playing very very well the last 3-4 months.

His positional sense has improved, he's become stronger, smarter and more dangerous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although he's naturally a striker, he's been played on the left wing on several occasions. He seems to have some important qualities for that position - he would certainly be as good as Dyer on the wing, as pace seems to be the only dimension to Dyer's game. Schlupp's also got the advantage of youth on his side, meaning he'll be able to get up and down the wing for a full 90 minutes, whereas Dyer seems to run out of steam after about 60. Also, Schlupp is a very naturally strong player, I think Lloyd is a bit too lightweight sometimes.

I don't think he's a superstar, I don't think he's anywhere near the finished article, but I'd rather see him in the side on the left wing than Dyer as I think he could do Dyer's job better.
First of all, left wing is very different to left midfield so to say that he has played there 'several times' may be wide of the mark. Positional sense and defending are every bit as important as dribbling and crossing when playing as a midfielder.

Have you ever seen Schlupp get "up and down" for 90 minutes? When he came on against Southampton I thought he looked shattered after half an hour and was expecting him to get substituted towards the end (after coming on in the first half).

Again, there is not a left winger in a Nigel Pearson 4-4-2.

Also, I don't remember Pearson 'easing' Andy King into the side; he recognised he was good enough and played him. If Pearson thinks Schlupp is good enough to be in the side, I don't think he'll any reservations at all about playing him.

I don't believe in this notion that players need 'easing in' either, I think if a player has potential he will only realise that by getting a sustained run of games in the first team. How many promising players have languished in the reserves of big clubs, getting the odd Carling Cup game and never come to anything?

You look at some of the best English players to come through in recent years - Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott - all these players developed significantly when exposed to regular first team football.

Players who are restricted to the occasional cup appearance often get farmed out on loan and end up plying their trade in a lower league.
Andy King playing for us in League One would be like sending Schlupp on loan to Charlton for a season. Playing in a poor division for a strong side could definitely be classed as "easing him in". Had we been in the Championship that season I doubt he would have played as much.

Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere were on everyone's radar for a long time before they actually got a run in the starting line-up. Wayne Rooney I will accept, but it's very rare. Look at the likes of Welbeck, Rodwell, Smalling, Sturridge. None of them given long runs in the team at what could be deemed as their future "potential" level early on in their careers.

Last edited:
If NP is true to his word then it will be the same 11 as last week. We won, kept a clean sheet and nobody had a mare, so nothing should change.

All that's likely is Bamba onto the bench for one of Abe/Danns.

Under Sven, the result against Palace would have been perfectly possible. What we'd hardly ever done under Sven is then go away in our next game and win again. It will be interesting to see if NP can get the consistency that has been so lacking ever since he left.

If memory serves, didn't Martin O'Neill play Emile Heskey more on the wings (especially when Steve Guppy wasn't in the side) than he ever did as an out and out striker?

Yep. Walcott is clearly one of the first names on Wenger's, and Capello's for that matter, team sheet...and rightly so, he's been playing very very well the last 3-4 months.

His positional sense has improved, he's become stronger, smarter and more dangerous.

Completely agree. I think Theo has come on leaps and bounds this year, finally starting to become the player he was expected to become when he first arrived on the scene.

Oh, but I do also agree with PR's point (I think) about the criticism of Dyer only having pace being unfair... Whenever I see Dyer, he seems to pose a big attacking threat.

Last edited:
I'm going to go against what most have said and suggest that Bamba starts. He's not coming back from injury and he's our best defender. We had a clean sheet against Palace but we hardly shut them out and they created a few good chances. So Bamba in and Saint Ledger on the bench. Nothing against St Ledger, but we should be playing our best back four away from home and at the moment Bamba is a part of that.

I'm going to go against what most have said and suggest that Bamba starts. He's not coming back from injury and he's our best defender.

If Pearson thinks so then I'm sure he will start. Otherwise............

I like Sol, he's talented as well as quirky, but Nigel has to pick two centre halves who will work and combine well together. That may or may not preclude Sol.

If Pearson thinks so then I'm sure he will start. Otherwise............

I like Sol, he's talented as well as quirky, but Nigel has to pick two centre halves who will work and combine well together. That may or may not preclude Sol.

... and without a shadow of a doubt that best combination has been Bamba and Mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669