Random News Article Thread

You are asking me to state what I would have done were I Thatcher...but I'm not Thatcher.

I have never asked you to imagine you were Thatcher. I asked what *you* would have done.

Was there any point in my dear friend dying in the computer room on HMS Sheffield? Was it worth it? Was it ****ing bollocks.

I had no way of knowing that and if it was so then I understand that you may feel differently to someone who was unaffected in that way.

In saying that though, there would have been plenty of others who suffered personal loss and grief who nevertheless DID support the action taken.

Spion, look back at your posts. I naturally figured that if you were going to be insulting then you were happy to be insulted in return, obviously not.

You still aren't getting it.

You are asking me to state what I would have done were I Thatcher...but I'm not Thatcher.

If I were Thatcher then I would have obviously done the same as her as I would be her, and thereby be a massive ****. If I were me as Prime Minister then the circumstances would not have presented themselves to me as events and actions would have changed the course of history.

For a start I would not have led a government fighting for the rights of my rich friends at the expense of the population at large, I would not have denied the existence of "society" while promoting the selfish rights of the individual. I wouldn't have sold-off the housing stock leading to a growth in homelessness - particularly effecting those thrown on the streets through the 'Care in the Community' program which closed off access to support mechanisms and accommodation for the weakest in society.

I would not have thrown money at the pointless Trident and, linked, would have made it illegal for British companies to be involved in the production and sale of land mines rather than touring the world and actively promoting them on behalf of my chums. I would have not recommissioned the Valiant fleet but I would have maintained a strong conventional armed force. I would not have thrown good after bad with the EFA program. I would have shut Porton Down the second I came to power. I would not have allowed Cruise to be stationed within the UK and I would have scraped Polaris.

I would have reached out to legally elected governments in Central and South America and not supported Regan's CIA-led, anti-Communist, blood-soaked foreign policy. I would not have befriended mass-murdering utter and complete ****s like Pinochet. Obviously, neither would I have counted Pik ****head Botha as one of my close, personal friends and supported his ****ish apartheid regime. I wouldn't have accelerated our current problems in the Middle East by giving guns and training to anyone there. Nor would I have allowed the USA to launch attacks on Libya.

I would have taken action to provide genuine jobs to the 3.5million jobless which may, in some part, have helped to avoid the inner-city riots and rampant racial tensions afflicting the country as was. I would not have dicked about with education by introducing CTCs and the 27 strand National Curriculum - which would have saved me changing it on an annual (and at times termly) basis. I wouldn't have destroyed a mining industry which had 300years-worth of natural resources left in order to make a petty stand only to then import more expensive coal from abroad.

I would have allowed investment in order to avert 18% interest rates and rampant home repossessions...mainly from the massive savings from not holding a nuclear arsenal and not having to squander the North Sea Oil revenue on benefit payments and yet more handouts to my chums in business.

Instead of killing off the steel industry I would have supported British industry, especially the manufacturing base with financial support to maintain the expertise and quality exports. I would have supported the ship-building industry. I'd not have sold off our utilities, I opposed it at the time and no one can justify it as a success for the consumer or the country. She agreed to the plans to get shot of the railway too, I hope my successor would have seen more sense than Major.

As a response to a recession we would have been insulated against had I been in power but is happening possibly in your fictitious scenario I would not have raised taxes. Not being a total ****ing moron, I would never have introduced the Poll Tax.

Finally, I would never, ever, have had sex with Dennis - thereby preserving the world from the prick that is Mark.

. . . _ _ _ . . .​

The question I believe you are straining to get to is "Mawsley, did you support Thatcher's decision to send the troops to the Falklands?" as this is the only one which isn't hypothetical bollocks. To cut down on time I'll do this question too:

If, for one minute, I believed that it was worth the loss of 907 lives to "protect" it then I would not have sanctioned lobbing landmines all over it which, coupled with the ones put down by the Argentinians has rendered large swathes uninhabitable (as if the weather hadn't done that already). But of course it was never about sovereignty - Argentina was diverting attention from a crisis at home while Thatcher was helping her oil company friends.

And all for nothing: no oil in thirty years and the islands still can't support themselves or produce enough sprogs for the UN to let them be an independent state. If it weren't for the fact we artificially pump people into the place, paid a very large bonus just to be there, and flood it with subsidised resources it would be a barren bunch of rocks no one would want.

Was there any point in my dear friend dying in the computer room on HMS Sheffield? Was it worth it? Was it ****ing bollocks.

</Gwilliam>

I enjoyed reading that, can you do one as if you weren't Blair or Brown.

Blair or Brown? Are you serious? It doesn't resemble anything either of them would say, especially not Blair. A proper little Thatcherite is your Tony

If I were Brown I'd have done everything the same as I enjoy shouting at stupid people. I'd probably have skipped the old woman's house and gone straight to Spion's gaff though.

If I were Blair I'd have killed myself before lying to get a war, selling out all of Smith's principles and the Catholicism thing.

Blair or Brown? Are you serious? It doesn't resemble anything either of them would say, especially not Blair. A proper little Thatcherite is your Tony

Mawsley was talking in hindsight as if he wasn't Thatcher. I'd like to see what he came up with as if he wasn't Blair or Brown during their era. I was genuinely interested as I enjoyed his diatribe.

Mawsley was talking in hindsight as if he wasn't Thatcher. I'd like to see what he came up with as if he wasn't Blair or Brown during their era. I was genuinely interested as I enjoyed his diatribe.

Oh right, gotcha. My apologies, I picked you up the wrong way.

Cuddle?

Last edited:
I have never asked you to imagine you were Thatcher. I asked what *you* would have done.

Jesus.

I ****ing give up.

This is painful.

So yet again you fail to answer a simple question.

You're right, it is painful. Trying to get an answer out of you is like trying to extract blood from a stone. Have you got political ambitions? Actually, treat that as a rhetorical question or else just ignore me - I couldn't possibly go through so many replies again in which you fail to give a simple yes or no.

If I were Brown I'd have done everything the same as I enjoy shouting at stupid people. I'd probably have skipped the old woman's house and gone straight to Spion's gaff though.

Great. We could have continued this over tea and biscuits. Trouble is if I asked if you took milk in your tea then we would have reached stalemate as that would require you to answer yes or no.

So yet again you fail to answer a simple question.

You're right, it is painful. Trying to get an answer out of you is like trying to extract blood from a stone. Have you got political ambitions? Actually, treat that as a rhetorical question or else just ignore me - I couldn't possibly go through so many replies again in which you fail to give a simple yes or no.

You had your answer - if you failed to understand it then that is your problem.

You had your answer - if you failed to understand it then that is your problem.

A day at work has done you the world of good Mawsley. There was nothing offensive or insulting in that post :icon_wink

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663