released list

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they were the only 2 managers along with Levein who could see the huge potential he had and were willing to give him the break he needed to eventually become a lethal goal scoring machine.

I used to read your postst and think that maybe you weren't' just being a bit stupid, now I see what everyone else sees. Oh dear christ. Chambers was never and will never be good enough- you can't just play shit players and keep your fingers crosse dthey come good

I used to read your postst and think that maybe you weren't' just being a bit stupid, now I see what everyone else sees. Oh dear christ. Chambers was never and will never be good enough- you can't just play shit players and keep your fingers crosse dthey come good

Did you type that with your fingers crossed? ;)

I think you'll find most people on here look at the bigger picture.
How many Academy lads progress to the first team? Not many- and that's cos they simply AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS LEVEL.

Maybe we should get rid of the scouts then for spotting shit players, or sack John Rudkin for taking them on in the first place.

I think it's Melts, come back to exact his revenge :icon_bigg

Actually yea, I'm right we need to sack John Rudkin and Steve Beaghole, and Trevor Peake, and Chris Tucker, yea get rid of them all, cos they've obviously done a wank job over the last decade.

Maybe we should get rid of the scouts then for spotting shit players, or sack John Rudkin for taking them on in the first place.

Don't be such an idiot.

Young kids can show the ability- doesn't mean it will develop into what is needed to be able to play in the top two levels.
I think if you look back at those we've had through the doors, the fact you can count on one hand those who are capable at this level and those who find their place in the lower leagues says it all.

Chambers WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Can we all just ignore him?

He's clearly just some sad little person who enjoys being the centre of attention on an internet message board. Don't feed the troll!

slongbp17may114.jpg

Like this?

The academy is full of big players who can bully players at academy level, but don't have the technical ability to step up. We also play a game built around set pieces (I forget who the academy long-throw expert is, but plenty of goals have been scored through him). However, none of these players are technically good enough to make the step up.

We should play a game which builds up players ability, getting them to move into space, learn how to pass etc. instead of just getting them to win by playing a physical, pragmatic game, players don't learn how to become better footballers doing that. Results shouldn't really matter, all that should matter is player development.

The academy simply play to win games at academy level, whereas academies should be about developing players, not winning games.

Aha. I see your point.

I don't think we are odd though, I reckon every club is like this. Give or take. Players simply don't have the hunger any longer, it's about cars and spit-roasting, Twitter and holidays. Modern football is shit.

It's nothing to do with hunger. It's just a problem with English football that has been talked about for decades, but never sorted out.

However, while I agree with Hazzman it's a nationwide problem, we are particularly bad in this respect. If you compare us to teams like Middlesbrough and Southampton, or even someone like Watford, who have a large amount of their current first team who came through their own youth team, then the quality of players we have produced over recent years has been absolutely woeful. Despite the fact our academy is one of the most successful in the country in terms of results in recent years and we're always told how good they are etc.

To put it simply. There is clearly something drastically wrong with how we approach the academy and the development of young players when we're winning the Premier academy league and going unbeaten in academy league seasons but none of these players are coming through.

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with hunger. It's just a problem with English football that has been talked about for decades, but never sorted out.

However, while I agree with Hazzman it's a nationwide problem, we are particularly bad in this respect. If you compare us to teams like Middlesbrough and Southampton, or even someone like Watford, who have a large amount of their current first team who came through their own youth team, then the quality of players we have produced over recent years has been absolutely woeful. Despite the fact our academy is one of the most successful in the country in terms of results in recent years and we're always told how good they are etc.

To put it simply. There is clearly something drastically wrong with how we approach the academy and the development of young players when we're winning the Premier academy league and going unbeaten in academy league seasons but none of these players are coming through.

Yep...the English game itself is the problem.The demands for instant success ruin all but the most exceptional young players.Clubs would rather buy someone proven (usually cheaper from abroad) than risk blooding young talent.& when they do bring in young prospects thay disappear quickly if they're not world beaters right from the off.Young players need time to develop their potential in the first team but the demands for instant success ruin their chances.All very sad.
When Barca won the Champions League 2 years ago 7 of their starting 11 in the final were players who had come through their academy.While I do appreciate that they will attract a better standard of young player than most clubs could hope to it still might bear thinking about that if one of the richest & most successful clubs in the world thinks its a sound strategy to invest in development it might not be a bad idea for others to adopt it too!

I've watched Ashley Chambers all season and it would seem that, surprisingly, his confidence has dropped rather than grown.

He started the season extremely brightly and the fans loved him for his direct running. However, the management at York (our very own Gary Mills) have played him all over the park, most regularly in a deep right midfield position, occasionally on the left and rarely up front in a little man/big man combination. When he played up front he looked at his best, but he just didn't fit York's system. He took all of York's corners and was obviously instructed to chip them all in to the near post, totally ineffectually, which drew the ire of the crowd. Consequently his confidence and his touch deteriorated.

I don't think York fans (like my missus) would be overly excited were he to return for a second season. He certainly doesn't have the touch or even the pace to make an impact at Leicester. Time for him to rebuild from the lower leagues and good luck to him.

Sorry SS, he isn't good enough.

Oh, and hi everyone!:039:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673