Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Harvey Barnes, he definitely should be first choice again next season imo, will only get better, even if he doesn't hes already good enough to be im the squad.
He needs some competition, which hopefully will kick him on. Either way we are in desperate need of 2 more wide goalscorers.

With regards the actual thread subject, after Bournemouth i was fuming and fell into the Rodgers out camp for a bit.
Mine and a lot of other people's expectations have been raised by early season. Whist it will be bitterly disappointing to miss out on champs league, 5th is still a fantastic achievement.
He deserves next season to see what the norm is imo, a more levelled out season and 5/6th again would be great again.

Recruitment is everything. As well as clearing out some of the utter shite we've got cluttering up the place, a lot of them on ridiculous wages for doing **** all. If recent times are anything to go by I'm not confident. January was atrocious & we're paying for it now with a squad down to the bare bones. It may well ahve cost us a CL place we may not get another shot at for a long time, if ever.

Next season is going to be extremely hard. The short break, coupled with the disjointed end to this season is going to see a lot of players shagged out & performing well below par. This will favour the clubs with deep squads even more than it usually does.
I can see the gap between the top 4 & the rest being a lot bigger.

In, out, in, out, shake it all about?

Not yet. He has taken us into Europe. As I’ve posted before - we can’t really sack managers for that.

But lots of what we are seeing today is down to poor management. Champions’ League is gone and it’s because we threw it away. And he still isn’t learning, still isn’t trying to change.

He gets 10 games next season for me. And in that ten games I’m not just looking at results. I’m looking for signs of an ability to change the way we play to suit circumstances. That doesn’t mean changing formation but playing the same style of football anyway. It means sometimes playing uglier, more cynically.

If we don’t learn to do those things we will never be winners.

Not yet. He has taken us into Europe. As I’ve posted before - we can’t really sack managers for that.

But lots of what we are seeing today is down to poor management. Champions’ League is gone and it’s because we threw it away. And he still isn’t learning, still isn’t trying to change.

He gets 10 games next season for me. And in that ten games I’m not just looking at results. I’m looking for signs of an ability to change the way we play to suit circumstances. That doesn’t mean changing formation but playing the same style of football anyway. It means sometimes playing uglier, more cynically.

If we don’t learn to do those things we will never be winners.
Congerton by that time will have supplemented our not good enough players with a bunch of championship/league 1 standard dickheads.

I think I've inadvertently taken psychedelic drugs. I seem to be thinking it's been an ok season, that in the context of what the club wanted to achieve that we're there or there arounds. I don't even seem to be overly concerned at being dicked by Spurs. Or the fact we've blown a significant lead.

I seem not to be concerned by Rodgers managerial skills and think he's the guy to take us into next season.

What are symptoms of Covid again?

Nightmare. In 2020 we were:

10+ points clear of 4th
In the league cup semi final
In the FA Cup quarterfinal

****ed it all up. I am horrified.

Just a bit of reflection but boy does this just reinforce how special 2016 was. This was exactly the kind of collapse everyone anticipated us having that year and it never did. We beat the stragglers and held our own against the top teams, and kept on doing it, week after week. We’ve proved this year how hard that is, even to get in the top 4.

and it also shows that no, Pearson did not win us that title. Neither did Cambiasso. Because Claudio had to steer us through, and keep those results coming, and handle the media, and make the right decision in how to replace Vardy at a crucial time. Got the job done with games to go.

I’m not blaming Rodgers as others are on here, but certainly Claudio did *everything* right and the team did not even open the door to such criticism. But. Imagine if we’d lost 4 of our defenders and a couple of our key for the run-in.....

Good post but another key difference is we are short of 2 genuinely world class players that we had that year.

Mahrez would have been able to create something in the second half for us today - we desperately need to splash the majority of next seasons kitty on a top wide player.

Add another CB to the squad too and assuming we keep hold of everyone else in the current squad, we won't be far short of top 4 again.

Maybe another striker too but we don't need to go too mad.

Let's also take a moment to reflect on BRs record in European competitions.

Liverpool:

2012/13 - beaten by Zenit St. Petersburg in first knock out round of Europa League
2013/14 - did not qualify for Europe
2014/15 - knocked out of Champions League at group stage (by FC Basel). Went into Europa League and lost in first knock out round by Besiktas
2015/16 - two draws in Europa League group before being sacked

Celtic:

2016/17 - finish bottom of Champions League group, including 7-0 defeat against Barcelona
2017/18 - finish third in Champions League group, going into Europa League. Knocked out by Zenit St Peterburg in first knock out stage
2018/19 - failed to qualify for Champions League (beaten by AEK Athens). Qualify through group stage of Europa League but beaten in first knock out round by Valencia

So, six attempts and he's never got past the last 32 of the Europa and never qualified through a Champions League group.

Liverpool:

2012/13 - beaten by Zenit St. Petersburg in first knock out round of Europa League
2014/15 - knocked out of Champions League at group stage (by FC Basel). Went into Europa League and lost in first knock out round by Besiktas

Celtic:

2016/17 - finish bottom of Champions League group, including 7-0 defeat against Barcelona
2017/18 - finish third in Champions League group, going into Europa League. Knocked out by Zenit St Peterburg in first knock out stage
2018/19 - failed to qualify for Champions League (beaten by AEK Athens). Qualify through group stage of Europa League but beaten in first knock out round by Valencia

So, six attempts and he's never got past the last 32.
First time for everything!

Liverpool:

Celtic:

So, six attempts and he's never got past the last 32 of the Europa and never qualified through a Champions League group.

it was the big criticism of him at Celtic. The more I see I’m not surprised. One style, fragile in big games, and outthinking himself.

Liverpool:

Celtic:

****ing hell

No wonder he doesn't want it

He’s a bottling loser with a loser mentality.

I would put every penny I have on him not being our manager by the end of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669