Safe Standing Debate - SSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ched

Since all-seater stadiums became a necessity for clubs across the country following the Taylor Report in the early 1990's, many fans have always said how much they miss the days of the terraces.

And when a goal goes in what's the first thing you do? You jump to your feet - it's a natural reaction isn't it?

The Football Safety Officers Association (FSOA) is holding its annual conference at Walsall's Bescot Stadium on Tuesday and The Football Supporters Federation (FSF) will be making a presentation to the conference in support of introducing safe standing areas at football stadia in the top two divisions.

Sky Sports News has been looking at the issue that often splits football - and we would like to hear your views.

Would you like to see parts of your team's stadium do away with the seats? Would it improve the atmosphere? Or would you rather stay seated?

Would it be a danger to return to standing areas? Or would it heighten your match-day experience?

And if you're a steward at a major stadium, what do you think?

Sky Sports News' special feature shows the problems faced by today's matchday staff - would seating areas be welcomed by those responsible for monitoring them?

E-mail us your views here or fill in the feedback form below. We want to find out what you, the supporters, think. So join the debate now...

Come on people, let's have some E-Mails in to support the campaign.

HTML:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hI2GpPsznkA

^^ Link to Sky coverage

Rather stay seated. I'm not old enough to remember the standing so i don't really care. I assume it's the same for most my age.

Rather stay seated. I'm not old enough to remember the standing so i don't really care. I assume it's the same for most my age.

I do think seating has made it harder to be a football hooligan / racist in a ground because the individual can be identified through their purchasing of the seat together with cctv footage.

dont really see the problem with seating
Good, glad you're happy.

But the point is 'choice' - and with 90% of those expressing an opinion demanding the right to stand at stadia, and the correlation of all-seater with the drop-off in atmosphere, it is high time that the government released clubs from the constraints of the law.

This isn't demanding that everyone stands - you stay in your seat if you want. It is seeking the right for clubs to provide safe-standing areas for those of us who would like to see a return to the days when football had support.

Good, glad you're happy.

But the point is 'choice' - and with 90% of those expressing an opinion demanding the right to stand at stadia, and the correlation of all-seater with the drop-off in atmosphere, it is high time that the government released clubs from the constraints of the law.

This isn't demanding that everyone stands - you stay in your seat if you want. It is seeking the right for clubs to provide safe-standing areas for those of us who would like to see a return to the days when football had support.
90% of football fans want standing back? source please?

Good, glad you're happy.

key word

How can i sit if the rows in front of me are standing? What choice do i have? There are areas at the walkers where the fans already stand throughout the game. Move to there!

Good, glad you're happy.

And what percentage of fans actually expressed an opinion? A very small one - because the vast majority have confidence in the footballing authorities commonsense and realise that there is ZERO % chance of standing coming back.

The SSN report says that a recent survey of 'Should fans be able to choose whether they stand or sit' - The answer was emphatic, 90%

The SSN report says that a recent survey of 'Should fans be able to choose whether they stand or sit' - The answer was emphatic, 90%

That's because of the limited sample. Only people who are interested in standing would have read the article in the first place, so only they would have got to the bit where they could vote on it. Bearing that in mind, 90% is a pretty poor show.

If it ever looked like standing was coming back and somebody did a survey of all football fans, what do you think the level of support would be? More likely to be 10-15%.

Just for the record, I've always enjoyed football more when standing, I like the mob dynamic & the atmosphere seemed, well, different to when seated areas came in.
I've been to all-seater matches with a good atmosphere but there's something different about the atmosphere, I can't explain it better than that, it's intangible.

That said, those days are gone, never to return. I can understand why people hamper after those days & believe that they can be recreated but it ain't gonna happen.

Shame.

The sort of standing area being looked at is similar to the ones in Germany.....
http://www.footballfanscensus.com/surveys/survey.html?sid=214
We still have a large standing area on both the Grange end and Bob bank (which is where I stand). It promotes a good atmosphere and, provided it is properly barriered and marshalled, is as safe as the seating areas.
Remember that the standing ban was introduced following Hillsborough, which was the result of poor crowd management, inadequate stewarding / policing coupled with substandard barriers.
If we can manage it without problems with some of the Neanderthals that watch our lot, then I cannot see why others can't. If fans within a stadium are going to cause trouble it doesnt matter if they are sat or stood. Look at what happened at Elland Road back end of last season. Seating didnt stop them invading the pitch.
On a personal note, I'm six foot eight and have sat in the stands on a couple of ocassions. Fecking hated it. Up and down like a whores drawers all through the game. Jammed in your seat. Miserable.
Given the choice it's a no brainer.

Just for the record, I've always enjoyed football more when standing, I like the mob dynamic & the atmosphere seemed, well, different to when seated areas came in.
I've been to all-seater matches with a good atmosphere but there's something different about the atmosphere, I can't explain it better than that, it's intangible.

That said, those days are gone, never to return. I can understand why people hamper after those days & believe that they can be recreated but it ain't gonna happen.

Shame.

That should get MHS interested!

Perhaps you meant hanker?

We still have a large standing area on both the Grange end and Bob bank (which is where I stand).

For how long are you going to be able to keep those areas of the ground open? Are there different regulations that apply to Welsh clubs?

For how long are you going to be able to keep those areas of the ground open? Are there different regulations that apply to Welsh clubs?
We have special dispensation from the Welsh FA while the new stadium is being built. Then I'll be sat down with the midgets. Will be a sad day.:icon_cry:

Standing does tend to help with the atmosphere.
If someone starts a chant more people tend to join in than when you are seated and attempt to start a chant. They just look at you like you're the weirdo that gets on the bus that everybody hopes doesn't sit next to them!!
(Not that I am you understand;) )

It would be nice to have the choice, but alas, can't see it happening.

key word

How can i sit if the rows in front of me are standing? What choice do i have? There are areas at the walkers where the fans already stand throughout the game. Move to there!

That's why you have a specific area.

:icon_roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673