Same rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

We did well to bowl Northants out for 373 after they were 350/5 but Leics are currently 155/9

Top order doing their usual disappearing trick. Allenby the main man again but it looks like we'll need something special to get anything in this match. I expect the follow on to be enforced soon

glyn

No half centuries by any of our top 5 in last 5 innings. Pathetic. Sorry to say but New needs to be dropped or moved down the order, as him and Boyce are leaving us under pressure every innings.

CM

I suppose we could give Smith or Taylor a run out.

I was surprised we didn't make any changes for this game actually after our last two performances. The batsmen cant say they arent being given a chance.

We need at least 2 hundreds in this second innings if we want to win/save this match

glyn

Beyond a feckin joke. 64-5, Boyce at least got to 31 but HD out cheaply again.

Batting since we beat Glamorgan in May:
120 (HD 4, Dippy 3, New 1)
346 (HD 23, Dippy 11, New 0)
189 (HD 7, Dippy 11, New 10)
202 (HD 24, Dippy 0, New 12)
173 (HD 9, Dippy 9, New 7)
64-5 (HD 6, New 11)

Smith and Taylor in for New and Du Toit next game please. I know Dippenaar has been poor but he scored a 50 in the Pro40 and has vastly more experience than Du Toit.

Redditch Fox

I don't know what the problems are but there are some.

It was widely noticed in the Essex Pro-40 game that the choice of bowlers towards the death seemed very strange and whilst I have every admiration for Nixon as a player both in terms of application and sheer longevity, I'm not convinced about the captaincy, not that there are any obvious alternatives.

I also question whether Boon's background as a video analyst man is the best qualification for what is basically a player management/ motivator job.

Still I suppose we have to accept that the gap between rich and poor is now so great and our expectations need to be realistically modest.

CM

I'd open with Dippenaar. Hes done it for SA before although his favourite position is in the middle order. I think we need some experience against the new ball though to give the rest a better chance.

Dippenaar
Boyce
Ackerman
Taylor
Allenby
Nixon*+
G Smith
T Smith
Du Preez
Henderson
Malik

glyn

Still I suppose we have to accept that the gap between rich and poor is now so great and our expectations need to be realistically modest.

To some extent, yes, but the team has proved earlier in the season that they can perform better than at present and surely the expectations need to be a little higher than reaching 200 in the first innings :icon_eek:

glyn

I'd open with Dippenaar. Hes done it for SA before although his favourite position is in the middle order. I think we need some experience against the new ball though to give the rest a better chance.

I'd even be tempted to open with Ackerman, like in the one-dayers.

glyn

At least we took two wickets in the final innings...

3 points from the game and we are now well stuck in the bottom half again.

Redditch Fox

Obviously one crucial difference now compared to the championship games at the start of the season is the complete loss of form of Ackerman. He was quite out of touch in the T20s - as well as unfit for some of them.

I just wonder if this is related to his disappointment at only being given a 1 year contract extension.

To be honest one of the few times that the team has played with any real spirit lately was in the last T20 match when interestingly there were quite a number of youngsters.

I've always been dubious whether the over representation of Kolpak players would prove a sound move. I can see the argument for taking advantage of the excellent £:Rand exchange rate when it's so expensive to sign English players from other counties but as in most things there is always a down side.

glyn

I just wonder if this is related to his disappointment at only being given a 1 year contract extension.

Didn't know about this - interesting. But he only accounts for 20% of the top 5, and it's when you are stuggling that you expect your overseas 'star' (Dippenaar) to step up to the plate/come to the party/any other cliche

I've always been dubious whether the over representation of Kolpak players would prove a sound move. I can see the argument for taking advantage of the excellent £:Rand exchange rate when it's so expensive to sign English players from other counties but as in most things there is always a down side.

Ackerman and Henderson have at least showed commitment to the club over the years and have played an important part in the side. Du Toit, Lawson, Kruger on the other hand....I'm sure we wouldn't have been much worse off without them. du Preez might be a decent one if he could just stay fit.

Last edited:

Redditch Fox

and it's when you are stuggling that you expect your overseas 'star' (Dippenaar) to step up to the plate/come to the party/any other cliche

His test batting average is only 30 over 38 matches and achieved on mainly good batting tracks- sign of a fair rather than a very good batsman. He retired this year from international cricket at the relatively young age of 30 so I question his ambition to do well. Not an inspired overseas choice in my opinion.

glyn

Beyond a feckin joke. 64-5, Boyce at least got to 31 but HD out cheaply again.

Batting since we beat Glamorgan in May:
120 (HD 4, Dippy 3, New 1)
346 (HD 23, Dippy 11, New 0)
189 (HD 7, Dippy 11, New 10)
202 (HD 24, Dippy 0, New 12)
173 (HD 9, Dippy 9, New 7)
64-5 (HD 6, New 11)

Smith and Taylor in for New and Du Toit next game please. I know Dippenaar has been poor but he scored a 50 in the Pro40 and has vastly more experience than Du Toit.

Add 201-9 now in the first inns v Gloucs with no 50s and youngsters Cobb (17 yrs old), Boyce and Smith top scoring.

Truly poor.

Greg Smith in for DIppy!

CM

Gloucs effectively 230/1 now with 4 sessions to go. This is a team that havent won all season! Theres a bit of rain around so we might hold on tomorrow but its not good enough :(

Newey with only 11 for Derby.

glyn

Gloucs effectively 230/1 now with 4 sessions to go. This is a team that havent won all season! Theres a bit of rain around so we might hold on tomorrow but its not good enough :(

Newey with only 11 for Derby.

Looks like we'll be chasing 400 now. We kept the lid on the run rate all day but North and Taylor have hit a quick 80 partnership at about 5 an over

Gloucestershire 315 & 261/3 (79.1 ov)
Leicestershire 228
Gloucestershire lead by 348 runs with 7 wickets remaining

Gloucestershire RR 3.29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687