Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been to see The Tree of Life

Pretentious, beautiful, challenging, interesting and at times even found it a tad boring.

I'll stick this in the 'might take some time to sink in' category.

Saw Super 8 last night. Excellent film really in the spirit of the Goonies, ET etc (as a lot of the reviews suggest). The acting by the kids is top quality.

Jane Eyre,

Period dramas are not my first choice, and the author of this gave me quite a bit of GCSE headache. However there is something about the Bronte tradgedies I do like. Not a bad adaptation, but if you know the story it's not going to blow you away.

I'll give it a healthy 7.

Mr Popper's Penguins

Even the kids thought it was complete and utter shite, and they'll watch any old cobblers

1/10

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I had read all good reviews of this film. Visually spectacular but wasn't overly impressed with the story and daft characters. Streets ahead of the Tim Burton version though.

Inbetweeners 7/10

Never found it laugh out loud funny, just amusing and cringe worthy. Thankfully skews all the cliches of British telly to film and gets the whole lads on tour thing pretty well spot on.

Enjoyable way to spend a Monday afternoon. Just don't expect a classic.

Insidious 7/10, not bad at all. If you are a bit jumpy when watching this type of film, don't watch it alone.
How it started, thought it was going to be along the lines of Poltergeist.
If you want a jump this weekend, go and watch it. (In the dark, on your own ;))

Best of the Best and Kickboxer - still ****ing kitten licking awesome 20 years on.

Last edited:
Just seen a couple of brilliant, if depressing, films.

The Bridge - 7/10 - A really dramatic, emotional documentary on the Golden Gate Bridge suicide jumpers.

It's Kind of a Funny Story - 10/10 - Zach Galifianakis, who I don't normally like, playing a suicidal man in an adult mental ward with a teenager who admits himself with suicidal tendancies. Darkly humourous but very well acted. I love films with little to know music in almost as much as I love a beautifully scored film. The artwork is cracking too.

Last edited:
I used to think I had outrageously good taste in film and then I enjoyed Bad Teacher. I enjoyed it a lot.

There again, I have been on major drugs for two weeks.

Crazy, Stupid, Love: A lot better than expected.

Steve Carrell is great (as usual) and it's a decent movie with several funny bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669