Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Matthew, I'd consider City of God five times the film of Slumdog Millionaire. Mainly on the grounds of realism for starters.

It probably is, that's probably why Slumdog is more entertaining. Though I don't think we can know how close to reality either are except for he director's word. I think CoG lost something in the choppy story telling.

The Tree of life 1/10.
Has anybody out there watched this film to the very end, if so, would you mind telling me wtf it's all about.

Sean Penn, Brad Pitt they must have paid you a lot of money, because that could be the only reason you'd star (!) in it.

Avoid!!!!

Couple of feel good films in last few days.
at the pix:
Hugo, Young lad, whose father, a clock maker, dies in a fire at museum he is working in, lad has to live with his Uncle in a train station. his job is to make sure the clocks are well maintained.
Ben Kingsley runs a small toy shop at the station. Story develops around a clockwork man that the lad's Dad rescued from the museum scrapheap, 8/10

On DVD: -
The Way, Martin Sheen's son Emilio Estevez (who produced the film) dies in an accident walking the Camino de Santiago. Martin goes to pick up Emilio's body, and decides to do the walk himself. 8.5/10

Couple of feel good films in last few days.
at the pix:
Hugo, Young lad, whose father, a clock maker, dies in a fire at museum he is working in, lad has to live with his Uncle in a train station. his job is to make sure the clocks are well maintained.
Ben Kingsley runs a small toy shop at the station. Story develops around a clockwork man that the lad's Dad rescued from the museum scrapheap, 8/10

On DVD: -
The Way, Martin Sheen's son Emilio Estevez (who produced the film) dies in an accident walking the Camino de Santiago. Martin goes to pick up Emilio's body, and decides to do the walk himself. 8.5/10

Hugo sounds like a re-hash of the story Clockwork. The way sounds good, will have to watch that one.

War Horse

It's a horse, it trots about a bit and then almost dies. But it doesn't. The end.

It's a child's film and not a very good one. All the adults speak and act as a child imagines they would - the scene with the boy (now adult) and the army doctor is absolutely laughable. Almost as dire as the rock & ploughing bit.

One point for the music, one point for the scenery and one point for it not having costed me a penny.

Total shit 3/10

Walking Dead

Downloaded series 1&2 and watched the first two episodes last night. Cracking stuff if you like zombies. Make-up is amazing, decent characters and some great deadpan lines.

Or, if you are like my wife and they remind you of family members too much, horrible television and you're better off going to bed.

8/10

War Horse

It's a horse, it trots about a bit and then almost dies. But it doesn't. The end.

It's a child's film and not a very good one. All the adults speak and act as a child imagines they would - the scene with the boy (now adult) and the army doctor is absolutely laughable. Almost as dire as the rock & ploughing bit.

One point for the music, one point for the scenery and one point for it not having costed me a penny.

Total shit 3/10

Slightly harsh but basically correct.

The Descendants:

George Clooney the bestest actor ever, ever in the history of film ever, ever. Delusional crap I have been reading recently drummed up by Brad Pitt's silly boy comments "Just give him the Oscar" . I was hoping he was going to be some sort of bad guy with lots of bad traits as other anti heroes in the director's previous films (About Schmidt, Sideways the ones I have seen) No Clooney plays himself as he always tends to do.

Pretty soft film not a lot going on lacks humour of other films I previously mentioned. Not that I didn't enjoy it, just not as good as everyone has said.

I always tend to rate films indecisively 6.5/10 same again here.

Source Code - 4/10 Why, why, why?

The Descendants. 9/10.

Like Billyjof, I had heard good things about this, unlike Billyjof, I think it deserves all praise it's got. Great acting, great story, had me hooked from the first minute to the last. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Although I can certainly understand some sort of disappointment if you were expecting a comedy!

44 Inch Chest, couple of years old now, watched it for the first time recently.
To see John Hurt swearing like a trooper, whilst Ian McShane was playing a rich poofter, makes me give it 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669