Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably is, that's probably why Slumdog is more entertaining. Though I don't think we can know how close to reality either are except for he director's word.

In my experience, shoot-outs in barrios happen more often than choreographed singing and dancing in Indian stations.

FWIW CoG is a work of genius whereas the other is entertaining pap.

The Descendants. 9/10.

Like Billyjof, I had heard good things about this, unlike Billyjof, I think it deserves all praise it's got. Great acting, great story, had me hooked from the first minute to the last. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Although I can certainly understand some sort of disappointment if you were expecting a comedy!

Of the very little praise I do get, I think I at least deserve it :icon_lol:

Glad you enjoyed the film, as did I. I think Clooney is a good actor, I thought his crying scene in the hospital was very genuine. I bet I could still find quite a few other options for best male Oscar over him though. I'd personally go with Gary Oldman or Jean Dujardain. I haven't seen Moneyball or A Better Life though.

Last edited:
Of the very little praise I do get, I think I at least deserve it :icon_lol:

Glad you enjoyed the film, as did I. I think Clooney is a good actor, I thought his crying scene in the hospital was very genuine. I bet I could still find quite a few other options for best male Oscar over him though. I'd personally go with Gary Oldman or Jean Dujardain. I haven't seen Moneyball or A Better Life though.
I've reconsidered the rating, 8/10 is probably more accurate. I suppose you shouldn't review a movie right after you've seen it as you're still caught up in the emotions.

I haven't seen The Artist yet, but my friend who is knowledgeable in these matters tells me it will pretty much clean the table. The combination of being a brilliant movie (so I'm told) and being a movie that people really want to love is probably a winning one.

I haven't seen The Artist yet, but my friend who is knowledgeable in these matters tells me it will pretty much clean the table. The combination of being a brilliant movie (so I'm told) and being a movie that people really want to love is probably a winning one.

I saw The Artist last week and really liked it. I was surprised by the tone of the film, without wanting to give anything away! A solid 8/10, maybe a 9 on a second viewing.

Jean Durjardain is excellent, and his pet dog is ****ing adorable.

Last edited:
Moneyball. 7/10.

Sports movies rarely, excuse my French, grab me by the bollards - I think it's because I tend to find the match scenes unrealistic as it's easy to compare them to real matches. I liked this story though, I've liked Aaron Sorkin since West Wing and the script is good, Brad Pitt is good, Jonah Hill is not bad - but Oscar winning performances? Not in my opinion, although I know **** all about acting.

Going to see Chronicle on Monday... will report back. Isnt my choice I hasten to add...

Shame 9/10

Very near to calling it a masterpiece.

Fassbender, Mulligan, McQueen take a bow. Powerful, brutal filmmaking.

Havent seen it, but from the media outcry its shocking that Fassbender hasnt been included in the Oscar nominations. He's a very good actor (and quite a hottie :icon_bigg)

The Killing - 10/10

American Horror - 17/10

How much have I loved these? More than I love enchilada roja and a bucket of wine.

The Killing - 10/10

American Horror - 17/10

How much have I loved these? More than I love enchilada roja and a bucket of wine.

These are not movies! How very dare you?! You've ruined Scarby's thread. You've maliciously and deliberately ruined Scarby's thread.
You sicken me, do you know that?

They are better than film, they tell a full story.

It's like the difference between full sex and a wank.

The Killing - glorious scripting, drop dead wonderful acting & atmospherics. A truly must-see.

Polished off the second series last week. Slight change in pace which leaves the political side of the story a bit rushed but the investigation side riveting. Series 1 is the king of slow burning dramas. Shame the final series isn't being shown in Denmark until later this year.

Hard Candy - 7/10 - seen this ages ago and forgot how much I enjoyed it. I will watch anything with Ellen Paige in, even the Tracey Fragments, which possibly makes me biased.

Yet no nomination for Ryan Gosling or Michael Fassbender.....is IT cos both films they starred in are a bit too 'harsh' for the US?

Apologies if I missed your previous comment just interested which Ryan Gossling performance you are refereing to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669