Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great. A great, knowing, tongue-in-cheek, pastiche on formulaic Disney films too.

All the funniest moemnts for me were the self-referential moments in there, particularly the knowing ones about the formula of the plot and film cliches (travelling by map, "hmmm, it's almost as if this is a key, unmissable plot point" etc.) and the funniest bit was definitely Rowlf's story which was missed out the montage. :icon_bigg

the funniest bit was definitely Rowlf's story

I haven't seen the new muppet's movie, but Rowlf is probably my favourite character in the history of character led drama.
I wish he was my dad... I love you Rowlf

Last edited:
So often we'll sit down and watch a film geared to me and the boy - I took one for the team the other week and we watched the sack of shit horse film.

My daughter spent as much time looking at me and laughing at my laughter as she did the television.

[maniacal laugh]
[maniacal laugh]
[maniacal laugh]

So often we'll sit down and watch a film geared to me and the boy - I took one for the team the other week and we watched the sack of shit horse film.

My daughter spent as much time looking at me and laughing at my laughter as she did the television.

[maniacal laugh]
[maniacal laugh]
[maniacal laugh]

Morpurgo's books are boring and ridiculous anyway, you should know that as a primary teacher.

Persepolis - 8/10 - A cracking, educational cartoon based on a true story about a girl growing up in the Islamic revolutions in Iran. Very nicely done and I learnt some things I never knew.

Last edited:
City Island - 9/10 - never heard of this little Bronx-based gem until I found it on Sky on demand, but it's a funny, if somewhat ridiculous, tale of the lies we lead.

Watched The Descendants last night, there was some nice character development and a solid line in pathos - finding humour in misery always works for me. It's a chick flick I enjoyed more than the chicks I watched it with and they didn't laugh anyway near as much as I did. One of them cried, but she's a lesbian and she does that a lot.

Does what a lot? Lesbian stuff or crying?

In my limited experience of lesbians who now semi-live in my house - both. Unfortunately she only seems to do the crying bit while in the house despite constant suggestions to my wife that she she should be encouraged to do the lesbian bit too.

I have assured her that as a modern man I would not be offended.

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, 9/10, brilliant film, great performances by Bill Nighy and Judi Dench.

A film that plays with all your emotions. Liked it that much I'll buy the DVD.

Shame 9/10

Very near to calling it a masterpiece.

Fassbender, Mulligan, McQueen take a bow. Powerful, brutal filmmaking.

Finally saw this over the weekend as only recently released here.

I would say a pretty intense film with exceptional acting. One of the best I've seen in a while but don't expect to be entertained. It really explores the depraved nature of Fassenbender's and Mulligan's characters and also gave away very little, leaving you to wonder why?

I didn't like Drive so much (More style than substance) but I think you are right in saying films like these, although of a very high quality, would be tend to be overlooked by US award panels due to the explicit and controversial content.

The Other Guys - 9/10 - Not a fan of Farrell but this was very funny all the way through, in no small part to Wahlberg, who gets better every time I see him.

The Other Guys - 9/10 - Not a fan of Farrell but this was very funny all the way through, in no small part to Wahlberg, who gets better every time I see him.

I'm not a Colin Farrell fan either.

Mark Wahlberg "Gets better every time" explain yourself, how many times have you seen him? Terrible actor IMO.

I'm not a Colin Farrell fan either.

Mark Wahlberg "Gets better every time" explain yourself, how many times have you seen him? Terrible actor IMO.

I meant Will Farrell.

He was excellent in the Fighter, Lovely Bones and The Departed, and good in Date Night as well. He's not up there with Christian Bale, but of the current crop of actors he's far from being the worst.

I meant Will Farrell.

He was excellent in the Fighter, Lovely Bones and The Departed, and good in Date Night as well. He's not up there with Christian Bale, but of the current crop of actors he's far from being the worst.

He was excellently cast in the Fighter as the meek silent brother to Christian Bale who was the extrovert. Although he was nominated as a supporting actor in the Departed he certainly didn't make the film that was down to the other strong cast.

In my opinion his best work was in Boogie Nights again excellently cast as a bit of a young dumb naive shy person. Maybe I have it in for people who get famous because of their brothers and having a six pack, but I really don't rate his acting.

Quite a story to be told about turning his life into a success though which you have to admire, and this is not just his "Rap"and acting careers.

City of the Living Dead (uncut version) - Finally got to see the uncut version. It's an all-time classic anyway, with or without the scene where the girl vomits out her own intestines. 10/10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670