Shooting in Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gospel of Matthew, verse 26:52, which describes a follower of Jesus (identified in the Gospel of John as Peter) drawing a sword to defend him against Roman soldiers, but is rebuked by Jesus, who tells him to sheath the weapon:

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

article-1345413-0CB0E4A6000005DC-772_634x461.jpg

I have no sympathy for her but I do for the others who were shot dead. :icon_sad:

I have no sympathy for her but I do for the others who were shot dead. :icon_sad:
:102:

With all due respect Steven, that's total bollocks and to be honest, I find it quite offensive. You clearly don't know her or anything about her. I don't know her personally but I do know several people that are close friends.

Of all the people in the world to shoot, the piece of shit that did this targeted one of the genuinely good ones, Gabby Gifford. I work with a conservation charity here in Tucson and Gabby has been a real ally, fighting on behalf of our local environment. Of all the politicians here in Arizona, she's far and away the best IMO. She managed to withstand a ridiculous campaign from the tea party wankers to stay in Congress this term, mainly because a majority of Tucsonans don't want to be governed by right wing lunatics. And now some right wing lunatic has shot her... for not being a right wing lunatic. Un-****ing-believable. Get well soon Gabby. :icon_cry:

My thoughts are with everyone involved, those killed and those injured.

Six people died because of a twatty little **** without a clue. Piece of shit boy - rot in hell, you total ****wit :098:

Fox News reporting Gabrielle is responsive and talking.

:102:

With all due respect Steven, that's total bollocks and to be honest, I find it quite offensive. You clearly don't know her or anything about her.

With all due respect, whatever her personal qualities, she is part of the problem of a general disaffection with politicians as a whole.

In a world where legitimate debate is marginalised and the "ordinary person" has no voice, I understand why people take these actions. For the record I do not condone violence as my biblical quote alluded to.

Nobody has a right not to be offended but I do believe that people have a right to express their opinions.

With all due respect, whatever her personal qualities, she is part of the problem of a general disaffection with politicians as a whole.
Sorry, what?! You don't care what she's like personally, she's a politician so therefore a legitimate target for being shot in the face by a crazed gunman? ****! :icon_eek:

OK, let's run with this - let's shoot all politicians in the face. That seems like a proportionate, grown up, well thought out solution to the overbearing problem that is a general dissatisfaction with politics. :102:

I understand why people take these actions.
I certainly don't, thank ****. I'd opine that anyone who actually understands going on a shooting spree, killing six people including a nine year old child, is mentally ill. Seriously, you must be ****ed in the head if you think this is anything other than totally and utterly ****ed up to the most ****ed up degree possible.

Stevo, I don't normally associate you with talking total crap. Maybe it's different when you're 5,000 miles away and don't know any of the people or places involved. Believe me, it's very different when it happens four miles from your home. I honestly don't think you'd be saying the same things if this happened in Wigston or Loughborough.

In a world where legitimate debate is marginalised and the "ordinary person" has no voice...
You do know what Gabby was doing today, don't you? Probably not, so I'll tell you... She was doing one of her regular "Congress on Your Corner" events. Here is a politician who is prepared to front up to her public. The people that she represents - myself included - had full access to ask her questions and express their opinions.

Again, I ask you, is this person a legitimate target for extreme violence, purely because she's a politician?

What a ****ing horrible day :icon_cry:

Ask the peoples of Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Grenada and a whole host of other countries how ****ed up it is to bomb, kill and maim innocent people.

I ask you, are these places a legitimate target for extreme violence, purely because US politicians mandate it?

Full story as it stands now, from the Arizona Daily Star: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_88b4b436-1b53-11e0-8354-001cc4c002e0.html

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot point-blank in the head on Saturday at a northwest-side grocery store, but surgeons say they are optimistic about her recovery.

Meanwhile, Gov. Jan Brewer's office is confirming federal Judge John Roll was among the dead, as was Gabe Zimmerman, Giffords' director of community outreach.

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik last night said there were six dead, including a child, among the 19 dead or injured. The girl slain in the attack was later identified as Christina-Taylor Green, 9. Later, Dorwan Stodder, a church volunteer, was identified as being one of the people killed.

Giffords was in critical condition following surgery at University Medical Center, said Dr. Peter Rhee, a UMC surgeon. The bullet passed cleanly out her brain, exiting her head.

Rhee said she was following commands, which is a good sign.

The shooting occurred at a Safeway supermarket where Giffords was holding one of her regular "Congress on Your Corner" events, which allows her to speak directly with constituents in her district.
The gunman has been identified as 22-year-old Jared Loughner, according to The Associated Press, although Dupnik declined to identify the assailant and said police are not convinced he acted alone.

Giffords has held several events since first taking office in January 2007 although this was her first event since her re-election to a third term in November.

"I've never been so shocked in my life as the events that happened today," Dupnik said, taking the opportunity to warn against "vitriol" in the political sphere.

"It's not only a very sad day for tucson and for the family, the friends of all the victims of this horrendous, senseless unbelieveable crime. But it's a sad day for America."

Giffords, 40, was talking to a couple in the store when a gunman rushed her, shouting as he fired his weapon.

The gunman fired at people in line and got within 4 to 5 feet of the congresswoman, said Mark Kimble, a former Tucson newspaper executive who is now on her staff.

The gunman fired at Giffords then ran out, continuing to shoot.
Members of Giffords' staff were among the wounded. District director Ron Barber remained in surgery, but his life was not expected to be in danger.

Pam Simon, Giffords' community-outreach representative, was also shot and injured, but expected to survive, Giffords spokesman C.J. Karamargin said.

Zimmerman, 30, who had a master's degree in social work from Arizona State University, had been with the congresswoman since her first election.

"He was a social worker through and through," Karamargin said. "He gave help to people for a living and he was very good at it."

Karamargin said Zimmerman was in the middle of making plans for his wedding, and the two had recently spoken about possible honeymoon plans.

He said the 9-year-old girl had been brought by her family to meet the congresswoman to see how government works.

He said Roll had worked with Giffords' office most recently in helping to secure funding for the Yuma courthouse.

A tearful U.S. District Judge Frank Zapata of Tucson, meanwhile, said he was "devastated" to hear of Roll's death. "We've been friends for 25 years and he was a tremendous judge and a tremendous person."

Karamargin said there was no warning, and said there had been no security at the event, although local law enforcement was typically notified of such town hall meetings.

When asked if there should have been more security at the community event, Karamargin said Giffords worked to be accessible to her constituents.

"She always prided herself on reaching out to the people who elected her and it would compound this tragedy if that were to change," he said.

She has done 20 such "Congress on Your Corner" events, he said.
Two individuals at the event tackled the man after the shooting, Dupnik said, adding there was still ammunition in the semi-automatic pistol.

Etc etc...

Ask the peoples of Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Grenada and a whole host of other countries how ****ed up it is to bomb, kill and maim innocent people.

I ask you, are these places a legitimate target for extreme violence, purely because US politicians mandate it?
No, of course they're not! What sort of ****ing war monger do you think I am? What sort of ****ing war monger do you assume Gabby Giffords to be, purely becuase she's a) an American and b) a politician?

Like I said, you know nothing at all about the people involved in this hideous event. Applying your own stereotypes and disgruntled views causes a lot of bad feeling and makes you look, quite frankly, stupid.

No, of course they're not! What sort of ****ing war monger do you think I am? What sort of ****ing war monger do you assume Gabby Giffords to be, purely becuase she's a) an American and b) a politician?

Like I said, you know nothing at all about the people involved in this hideous event. Applying your own stereotypes and disgruntled views causes a lot of bad feeling and makes you look, quite frankly, stupid.

And deleting your post with its reference from the bible which seemed to give some justification for this massacre, whilst leaving Desert's reaction to it makes you look, quite frankly, a ****. It's a pity that only the moderators can see what a **** you are.

What is her stance on the use depleted uranium (DU) in Iraq and Afghanistan?

If I am stupid for pointing out tragedies that occur, wherever they occur in the US or Iraq, and the utter hypocrisy surrounding these tragedies then I am delighted to be called stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
And deleting your post with its reference from the bible which seemed to give some justification for this massacre, whilst leaving Desert's reaction to it makes you look, quite frankly, a ****. It's a pity that only the moderators can see what a **** you are.

Ok I am a ****. Happy now. I can understand why people stop posting on here after having a run in with you. You can have an overly sanctimonious tone that can be incredibly grating.

Sadly for you I am made of sterner stuff so you will not get rid of me that easily.

Last edited:
I have deleted my own posts in this thread.

Tell me which parts of the teachings of Jesus Christ justify massacring people? I am most familiar with the King James version.

I have deleted my own posts in this thread.

And so Steven walks away, leaving only people's reaction to his outlandish behaviour...

Tell me which parts of the teachings of Jesus Christ justify massacring people? I am most familiar with the King James version.

You included the reference, not me.

And so Steven walks away, leaving only people's reaction to his outlandish behaviour...

Damned if I do and damned if I don't. So I do and I don't. I have left DesertFox's posts with quotes from my posts in there so that all can see the depth of his feeling.

You will have to harder than that. :icon_roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670