Sol Bamba to Marseille?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

I Wouldn't want to see him go, and we don't need the money so £2million doesn't appeal to me as it would cost at least as much to replace him with a player of a similar standard. I think Sol will be awesome with the right defensive partner.

If it frees up the extra funds to sign Matt Mills then I'd go ahead with this one. Plus if we can get Ben Mee, Tsepo Masilela and maybe the lad Shane Duffy from Everton we'll be looking pretty covered as a defensive unit. Could possibly do with another right-back as cover for Peltier. Or maybe Sven is working on bringing Naughton back and Peltier's the cover? I'm very excited to see what our final squad'll be come the close of the transfer window.

I think he's a decent player but at the same time he was part of a defense that was pretty awful last year. Don't think I'd be bothered either way. £2m could go towards securing a better player as has been mentioned so we'll see how it pans out!

I do not think you would get a better player for £2m. Sol is getting better all the time. It would be madness to let him go. It has been a long time (not counting Tunch) since we had an attacking CB who did not just 'hoof' it, but was able to calmly distribute the ball to set up attacks.

I do not think you would get a better player for £2m. Sol is getting better all the time. It would be madness to let him go. It has been a long time (not counting Tunch) since we had an attacking CB who did not just 'hoof' it, but was able to calmly distribute the ball to set up attacks.

Strange how people see things diffferently.

My impression is that he made a tremendous initial impact but his performances went down a bit towards the end of the season.

Of course, it may be that this was because he was playing alongside inexperienced defenders and in front of seriously dodgy keepers.

He certainly offers something different to most central defenders but I just think that he may not be for the long term and given the option of a move to the south of France then he isn't likely to choose to remain with us. But this may all be press speculation.

I think most centre backs would look shaky with the keepers that we have had.

Whilst I agree in principle, I think there are still occassions where it is better to hoof it now and again.

Also my fear with Sol is that now people know what he is about etc, they will put more pressure on him closing him down etc, and he may get caught out a bit more

Exactly. When you have one keeper who can only make saves that he doesn't have to think about but is likely to fumble anything from longer range and another who thinks that the rules say that keepers are not allowed to catch the ball - than as a defender you are likely to struggle a bit.

I think most keepers would look shaky with the defenders that we have had.

He didn't have a consistent partner, which i think is important in defence.

I think most keepers would look shaky with the defenders that we have had.

That's what I was going to say. I don't see how who the keeper is has any affect on just how many times our defenders practically passed the ball to the opposition to allow the opposition an easy goal (Bruma was particularly guilty at doing this).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669