Post Match Southampton 0 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top stuff. Nobody below 7/10. St Ledger, Mills, Nugent, Beckford, Danns and Gallagher before his injury were all excellent.

When Wellens performs like that, he's a massively important player for us.

Doubt it. There might be an arty farty shot of the goals from a wonky angle. Nothing more.

Stonking win - never seen that coming though my mate who went to the game had us down to win 2-0 and Nugent to score first!!! Fantastic performace all round, Dyer was maybe the weak link but wasn't particularly bad, just not as quick and precise with his passing and control as the rest. Wellens & SSL were up there with the best performers for me but what a goal from Nugent and probably shaded MOTM because of that.

Nice to see Pearson having a good impact at last, these past two games you can see he has really been working hard on a solid 4-4-2. Back 4 were in line with each other all the time, textbook offside trap played tonight and midfield looked very solid as well. Suppose can't not mention Beckford as well as even though he didn't really threaten goal, still a good performance and looked sharp and hungry all night.

Very impressive performance and makes a nice change to be able to go in work feeling proud of City for two matches in a row!!

Last edited:
Well it was only Southampton :)

Drinkwater certainly looks up to the challenge, cracking debut.

superb performance, committed, disciplined and for the majority of the game we looked more composed in possession. Terrific energy and tempo. However this style of play has identified at least 3 players that as we progress with this high intensity game plan need to be discarded. IMO Bamba, King and Wellens don't have the work rate or style of play to fit into this type of game plan, in the long term with Danns and Drinkwater in the middle we will be formidable will hopefully some real quality out wide.

Really good performance, Mills and St Ledger were awesome, Danns superb apart from two errors, Nuge and Beckford were a real handful, and Drinkwater looks a quality signing. The signs are looking good and credit Pearson for shaking up a few egos and starting the long road to recovery.

Great stuff. Most players excellent, thought Wellens was awful until the last 25 mins or so when he all of a sudden remembered how to play and started making some runs and winning a few good free kicks and linking up well. Gallagher also looked a bit lazy before he went off injured. Otherwise everyone was excellent, star man for me was Neil Danns even though he almost gifted them an opener. Drinkwater looked decent, energetic, puts in low crosses which we haven't seen much of at Leicester for a long time! Didn't really see enough of Delfouneso. Overall though it was a cracking team display, closing them down, making the off the ball runs, exactly what we've been missing during the recent barren run. From the first to the last we were closing them down all over the pitch and it makes you proud to be a Leicester fan when you see a performance like that. Hopefully we've turned a corner now so full credit to the whole coaching and playing staff.

Hard working and organised performance. Soton were disappointing but we took full advantage.

I understand the positivity towards Danns but he could easily have been responsible for two goals against. One shocking blind back pass straight to Connolly and once totally leaving his marker and giving the Soton player a free header.

Drinkwater retained possession very well when he came on.

If we can carry this on now on Saturday we'll start generating some genuine confidence amongst the players. We could yet rescue something from this season.

I think that was Peltier's man and Danns tried to make up the ground.

Excellent win, probably the best away performance since beating top of the league QPR at Loftus Road. The pattern of those game is Pearson (though his tactics were a lot like Sven's in our first meeting but Nige had the defence more solid). Bamba is going to struggle to get in with the current partnership.

However, I am still refusing to get carried away as Southampton were missing all of their danger men tonight.

I think that was Peltier's man and Danns tried to make up the ground.

I think so, there's no excusing the lax back pass but the defence covered up for him well and thankfully it didn't lead to anything. Otherwise though he was fantastic today.

I think so, there's no excusing the lax back pass but the defence covered up for him well and thankfully it didn't lead to anything. Otherwise though he was fantastic today.

Yeah that back pass was criminal but thankfully Connolly showed him how to do it properly.

Last edited:
Magnificent... back 5 very solid Mills/SSL partnership the best. Wellens has perked up since DD arrived Drinkwater looks confident, acomplished, energetic, Beckford/Nugent worked hard and looked dangerous, if we keep this up, those around us will be nervous because we all know on our day we are the best..keep it up boys

I thought we played excellent tonight and was very pleasantly surprised as I really didn't expect Pearson to go for that approach. Admittedly it was perhaps a bit of a blessing that Lambert and Llalana out but even so we completely dominated them.

Stand out players for me were Konchesky, Danns, Nugent, Beckford, Mills and St Ledger. The centre backs looked very comfortable playing with each other and perhaps Bamba could find his work cut out getting back into the starting 11 if they continue to play like that over the next few games. But healthy competition for places is never a bad thing.

Beckford and Nugent really look as though they are now very much on the same wave length and although Beckfords efforts at goal were pretty tame tonight, his link up play was fantastic. He put Dyer through twice and cushioned a nice little header for Danns' volley that threatened the corner flag. I thought perhaps with Nugent getting booked a couple of minutes earlier that maybe Nugent should have been subbed for Delfounso, as I was worried he might pick up a second yellow. Delfounso also looked useful when he came on but didn't really have enough time to make a big impression.

A similar approach and result against Cardiff in the league and the team may start believing we can do this and we could start closing that gap again.

Nice to see Pearson having a good impact at last

No offence but this sums up everything that's wrong with the modern fan, 'at last' it's barely been a 1/4 of a fecking season.

Got called into work tonight and thought 'bugger I really wanted to watch that!' Luckily it was dead tonight and it was on the telly in the bar. I got to watch nearly the whole thing in the presence of several Forest supporting co-workers, and got paid to do so. :icon_bigg

No one mentioned the genuine highlight of the night though: Matt Oakley's left eyebrow.

Strange. I thought Sven had filled the squad with useless money grabbing wasters.

Tonight Mills, Nugent, Danns, Peltier, Konchesky, St Ledger all played well. Mills especially was superb. That is not to mention Beckford, Kasper and Bamba.

The more you look at Sven's signings the better some of them look. With the exception of the loan midfielders, Pantsil and Ball I can't say he did a lot wrong based on that performance.

Fair play to Pearson, he has them playing well now.

Got called into work tonight and thought 'bugger I really wanted to watch that!' Luckily it was dead tonight and it was on the telly in the bar. I got to watch nearly the whole thing in the presence of several Forest supporting co-workers, and got paid to do so. :icon_bigg

you complete slut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670