Post Match Southampton 2 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just point out their second was clearly offside. In my mind it was good defending that the linesman ****ed up. First one, why we had nobody on the post is criminal.

Our defenders appear to be working well in pushing a high line and linking with the midfield. It seems to be more tactical at set pieces that they come unstuck. No-one on the post for a corner for instance. That would not a be a back anyway, usually it is a small midfielder or a forward.

I do not think we need to get new backs necessarily, just get the whole team involved in practising defending set pieces.

I must be the only one who thought out defending overall was very good today. It was just that at set pieces their height dominated us - Fonte, Pelle and Van Dijk are absolute man mountains. It's true that Kante should be the last person marking Fonte, but Huth and Morgan can't mark everyone.

We have to start the next game with the same team that finished today. I've been crying out for a 4-2-3-1 with Dyer/Mahrez/Albrighton behind Vardy for some time now, and I still think it's the way forward.

I must be the only one who thought out defending overall was very good today. It was just that at set pieces their height dominated us - Fonte, Pelle and Van Dijk are absolute man mountains. It's true that Kante should be the last person marking Fonte.

I agree with this. I don't think the defence did so bad. We restricted their chances and were caught at 2 set pieces only. Height was the difference.

Schmeichel is definitely going through that condidence low he tends to get. His kicking was awful as well. But I'm confident he'll come back good. Probably needs a break but we've got nobody to bring in.

Fuchs is a lot more stable at LB. Great distribution first half woeful set pieces second half though.

We had so many free kicks (mostly won by Riyad) in that attacking position left and right. I wonder what might have been if we had put some quality into dangerous areas.

Prefer Schlupp more advanced but also think Dyer made an absolute case to start. And we simply cannot leave Riyad out. Not sure where we can fit them all in!!!

All in all a good day and I was in the posh seats surrounded by Saints fans. Yes, I did go mad when we scored. Almost got hit by a prawn sandwich

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In relative terms, I'd rather us be an attacking side with a bit of a dodgy defence than a defending side with a blunt attack.

This is miles better than we could have expected.

Absolutely bang on the money Redditch.

Also how nice for virtually all pundits to be applauding us.

I would take a 2-2 over a 0-0 every day of the week.

I've also said numerous times previously that if we mess about too much with the back line our attacking play may suffer.

And as the great master Kevin Keegan always said: "Simple game - just score more goals than they do", as Man City fans can attest to from many years ago when he managed them.

We have a good defence that launches attacks well. Just need more care on set pieces.

Yesterday heyrything in the air at set pieces, both their own and ours
And as the great master Kevin Keegan always said: "Simple game - just score more goals than they do", as Man City fans can attest to from many years ago when he managed them.

We have a good defence that launches attacks well. Just need more care on set pieces.

Yesterday they won everthing in the air at set pieces at both ends of the pitch

I accept we might concede goals from open play because of our approach, but this simply means we need to be more switched on from set plays as we can't afford to be shit at defending them as well.

Not having men on posts and having smallest player v tallest player is horrendous planning and shouldn't be accepted simply because we are good going forward.

All in all a bit of a cracking game, speaking to a Southampton fan after the game, he was very complimentary about us. I just loved the second half, we absolutely threw the kitchen sink at them. Four points from two away games on the bounce, not bad going.

If we continue to play as we are there is no reason why we should not have 25 points by the end of November. December might be harder, though Chelsea and Man City also have defensive frailties.

I also think we're much more defensively solid with Fuchs and Simpson as our full backs rather than De Laet and Schlupp because they don't bomb forward as much. Both were very tidy yesterday.

Interesting point - no bookings, we must be fairly high up in the old fair play rankings this season? Can't recall any red cards and we don't seem to pick up excessive amounts of bookings and usually have less fouls than the opposition.

No red cards but only three teams (Sunderland, Tottenham and West Brom) have had more bookings than we have. We're four from the bottom of the FA Fair Play Table.

No red cards but only three teams (Sunderland, Tottenham and West Brom) have had more bookings than we have. We're four from the bottom of the FA Fair Play Table.

Whooops! That's all competitive games. League only there are four teams (add Southampton to the list above) with more bookings than us and we are seven from the bottom.

Whooops! That's all competitive games. League only there are four teams (add Southampton to the list above) with more bookings than us and we are seven from the bottom.
Glad to see we are near the bottom of the Fair Play League. Lots of Yellow cards a rough indicator of level of effort - and good sense or a bit of luck or both in no conversions to Red. Love to see Leicester sides scoring plenty and also handing out a bit of stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566