Sven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sven is like driving a rolls royce in the Dakar Rally

At Championship level & with Championship players, surely you need a manager with past successes at this level - someone who knows the criteria to get out of the league

Sven taking a few million to manage Ivory Coast at the last World Cup was ideal for him

I don't see him as the type of manager to get LCFC players to grind out results against the likes of Scunthorpe, Leeds & Palace week in / week out

We tried playing the pretty way under Sousa, and we're bottom of the league

I'm all for the new owners being ambitious and having a Master plan to get LCF into the premier League, but we probably need one manager to get us there and a 'Sven' to build a decent Prem team

When I said that Powell would be, "a Coach" with Sven, I meant he would be a Coach, not Assistant Manager. Everyone know Tord Grip follows Sven where ever he goes and is his Assistant, but they will still need (at least one) First team Coach - and CP would / should be that man - especially as Sven is 62 and Tord is 72 !

When I said some, I meant Hazz........

Not much but I get the impression Sven would surround himself around people who at very least do (ie. Powell involved very closely), also reckon he has a lot more contacts in and around English football to spot players etc.

As an aside Hazz, how do you surround yourself around people?:icon_conf:icon_wink

From an outsiders perspective, is this a good appointment?
Hmmm, tricky one. On the face of it a real coup. A man who can pick up the phone to any manager or player in the world and have their full attention. Will command instant respect in the dressing room, and get every penny available from your owners (whoever they are), so rebuilding and reorganising should be as good as you could hope for.

Only concerns would be his age, and his attractiveness to bigger clubs. Will his energy and enthusiasm be at the levels needed to see through two Championship campaigns at this stage of his career? With the greatest repect, I don't see you going up this year, although I expect he'll turn your season around. But if he does that, he may be tempted away to another club unless you're paying him top dorrar.

If results improve and he continues to get the financial support of the owners, and if he's still got the heart, then this could be he glorious last stand where he takes you all the way to the Prem and keeps you there. He could also be using you as stepping stone to get himself back in the media glare to secure a final paycheck.

So to summarise, dunno. Could go either way. What I do know is he's several rungs up the ladder from Sousa.

Last edited:
Hmmm, tricky one. On the face of it a real coup. A man who can pick up the phone to any manager or player in the world and have their full attention. Will command instant respect in the dressing room, and get every penny available from your owners (whoever they are), so rebuilding and reorganising should be as good as you could hope for.

Only concerns would be his age, and his attractiveness to bigger clubs. Will his energy and enthusiasm be at the levels needed to see through two Championship campaigns at this stage of his career? With the greatest repect, I don't see you going up this year, although I expect he'll turn your season around. But if he does that, he may be tempted away to another club unless you're paying him top dorrar.

If results improve and he continues to get the financial support of the owners, and if he's still got the heart, then this could be he glorious last stand where he takes you all the way to the Prem and keeps you there. He could also be using you as stepping stone to get himself back in the media glare to secure a final paycheck.

So to summarise, dunno. Could go either way. What I do know is he's several rungs up the ladder from Sousa.

good post :038:

And he's not a Jack.

I seriously cannot believe the number of people phoning in to RL who say Sven is the wrong man. Seriously, how on earth can they come to the conclusion that Powell is going to be any better than Sousa. Unbelievable.

Yep I can, and it is because everything you've written is correct.

It's an impressive signing and signals money and players to come. And success. And ticket price rises. And glory hunters. And more goal music. And a continual alienation of fans like me who remember what real football used to be like in the 70s.

I know I'm a luddite, I know I'm wrong to argue against progress, I know I'm Canute against the tide. But I can help it, it all feels so wrong - no just Sven but all of it. It doesn't feel like my club any more and despite still having all the shirts and programs and pennants and stuff, they don't relate to the current team in the current stadium, the current owners or the management.

As I say, I know I'm "wrong" but there's nothing left at the club for me to love (apart from this forum). It's not what I call football.

I know exactly what you mean Mawsley. In the "good old days" we would have appointed a promising young manager such as Lee Clark and given him a chance to show what he could do. However we now live in the era of "Prawn Cocktail" football and the new owners could never comprehend such an appointment. They will be much happier having landed a trophy appointment.

Having said that I am much happier with Eriksson than ever I was with Sousa. If this is the route the new owners want to take then he is an excellent appointment. He will command the immediate respect of the current players and be able to attract big name players to strengthen the squad if the Thais are willing to finance it. The only question is whether he has the ability to tough it out in the Championship. Despite what some seem to think, he had a decent record at Man City where he won nearly half his games and I think he still has the desire to prove himself, which was the point behind his Notts County adventure.

It will be interesting to see what this new era of football heralds at LCFC. Not the course I would have chosen myself but the sort of appointment we needed if we are to enter the big money league.

I seriously cannot believe the number of people phoning in to RL who say Sven is the wrong man. Seriously, how on earth can they come to the conclusion that Powell is going to be any better than Sousa. Unbelievable.

The same feckwits probably think Sousa was taking us forward slowly

The same feckwits probably think Sousa was taking us forward slowly

He just wasn't given enough time, he should have had at least another three or four seasons to turn things around

He just wasn't given enough time, he should have had at least another three or four seasons to turn things around

3 or 4? You honestly think that you can judge a manager after 3 or 4 seasons? 10 at least surely?

At this moment in time I don't give a toss if it is a PR thing or that some think he is only in it for himself.......

All that matters is if he is appointed we should all get behind him until such time as he lets us down.

FFS - he hasn't even taken over yet and already you can sense the 'Sven Out' brigade working themselves up.

At this moment in time I don't give a toss if it is a PR thing or that some think he is only in it for himself.......

All that matters is if he is appointed we should all get behind him until such time as he lets us down.

FFS - he hasn't even taken over yet and already you can sense the 'Sven Out' brigade working themselves up.

There will be a group on here I'm sure....

A much better appointment than the usual suspects of Dowie, Coleman etc - do not understand why people are moaning. MON would have been preferable but he turned us down, surprised people arent moaning MM didnt even bother going after Mourinho....or Joey

Welcome to the mad house, Sven.

Absolutely delighted if this happens, the best late birthday present ever!

Contrary to popular belief, Canute ordered back the tide in order to demonstrate that he wasn't able to

As usual Macky has got his History spot on. He might also have mentioned that Canute was a highly successful Scandinavian ruler. This seems a good omen for Sven.

Sven was on sky sports news. Asked about Leicester job and it was not a premiership job . Said owners are ambitious and want to get there quickly . Also press conference at 11 tommorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669