Testing of site required if anyone feels like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

I was trying to teach basic database skills to my Key Stage 2 class the other day when it became apparent that there isn't a cheap or free system out there that teaches them the basic concepts of fields, records and sorting/searching without coming with loads of confusing clutter, like Access (terrible) and MySQL(too complicated).

As a result, I've built my own. The idea is that schools/groups can register and then create databases in their account (currently it just use a simple database and fields concept rather than individual table concepts, though it is structured to allow that). My usage will be that the children will log in under one account and create their own databases to start with to get used to thinking of field requirements. We can then all work on data inputting into one mass table and then look at sorting/searching.

I've had a play as I've built it, but I need it robust before introducing it to the class else my lesson might go down the pan, also the head wants to see it in action; so if anyone feels like registering and playing about/trying to break it please do so.

The url is www.kidbase.co.uk (I couldn't think of anything less obvious that was url-available).

Oh, I'm not a designer either, but have just kept it simple and hopefully child friendly.

Cheers.

Last edited:
A function name of Switch() is a bit of a mad approach :icon_wink
Surprised it even allowed you use that tbh

A function name of Switch() is a bit of a mad approach :icon_wink
Surprised it even allowed you use that tbh

Yeah I was throwing it together and it just seemed logical in my haste. To be honest, I added that today between toilet runs. The JS will be minified and moved to a central file when I get more time as well.

Last edited:
Gotta bring the dog off to the vets at the mo, but I'll have a play and see if I can break anything later on if I get chance

When I created my first field, it then asked me to enter some data. Shouldn't it ask you if you want to create more fields before getting to the add data part?
After adding a couple of records I worked out how to add more fields, but then I wasn't able to edit the existing records to enter data in those fields.

In the add records screen, when I click on "work with your data", it tells me the fields are required. So I fill them in with a new record, then click on work with your data, and it takes me to the right place but hasn't added that record to the database.

Stupid jQuery validation. That button doesn't submit the form so I'm surprised it validates it.

My first test was successful. I was able to use a naughty word as a user name.

There's a spelling mistake - "Endagered Animals"

Fixed spelling mistake, naughty words are fine/too hard to filter.

When I created my first field, it then asked me to enter some data. Shouldn't it ask you if you want to create more fields before getting to the add data part?
After adding a couple of records I worked out how to add more fields, but then I wasn't able to edit the existing records to enter data in those fields.

Done.

In the add records screen, when I click on "work with your data", it tells me the fields are required. So I fill them in with a new record, then click on work with your data, and it takes me to the right place but hasn't added that record to the database.

Done.

When adding fields could there be an option to add date fields? I work with SAP HCM and dates are really the most important part of maintaining records in this type of system. If you think of HR Type databases you will always want to know when someone was born or when they started with an organisation.

When adding fields could there be an option to add date fields? I work with SAP HCM and dates are really the most important part of maintaining records in this type of system. If you think of HR Type databases you will always want to know when someone was born or when they started with an organisation.

It would be easy to add but for the age of children I'll be starting with would be too much. I will add date, Boolean and other fields if I branch it out later to older kids.

:icon_razz Pair of bastards.

On a very similar note, when I was out gallivanting at the weekend Mrs Macky texted me to say that her dog had been sitting there with a hard on all night, she was convinced there was something wrong with him, she was worried sick and would I google it on my phone to find out what to do. This isn't the dog I had to bring to the vet yesterday, it's her poxy, little Yorkshire terrier that she carries around like a ****ing handbag. So, I left it a while and then texted back to say that Google says she needs to rub Vaseline into and to make sure she uses plenty of it and to be sure that it's rubbed in well.
When she texted back with "That seems to have done the trick" I did actually fall down on the ground I was laughing so hard, I thought I was going to choke to death with the laughing. Dozy cow.
It's earnt me a few digs to the head since then, but it was worth it.

:icon_razz Pair of bastards.

On a very similar note, when I was out gallivanting at the weekend Mrs Macky texted me to say that her dog had been sitting there with a hard on all night, she was convinced there was something wrong with him, she was worried sick and would I google it on my phone to find out what to do. This isn't the dog I had to bring to the vet yesterday, it's her poxy, little Yorkshire terrier that she carries around like a ****ing handbag. So, I left it a while and then texted back to say that Google says she needs to rub Vaseline into and to make sure she uses plenty of it and to be sure that it's rubbed in well.
When she texted back with "That seems to have done the trick" I did actually fall down on the ground I was laughing so hard, I thought I was going to choke to death with the laughing. Dozy cow.
It's earnt me a few digs to the head since then, but it was worth it.

Should've videoed it and made a few quid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566