Under 21s The development squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also. Unfortunately. Tom Hopper and Jacob Blyth will not make it in the Premier League Squad. This is not an opinion derived from an professional experience. Just an expectation that more likely foreign talent will be given the chance instead given the jeopardy we will face in the prem league. I would rather lose with Panayiotou, Blyth, Cain and Taft in the Squad, laughing all the way to the bank. But we will sign some Norwich, Cardiff and or Fulham players on the way down and live to regret the wage bill i would imagine. ...

Also. Unfortunately. Tom Hopper and Jacob Blyth will not make it in the Premier League Squad. This is not an opinion derived from an professional experience. Just an expectation that more likely foreign talent will be given the chance instead given the jeopardy we will face in the prem league. I would rather lose with Panayiotou, Blyth, Cain and Taft in the Squad, laughing all the way to the bank. But we will sign some Norwich, Cardiff and or Fulham players on the way down and live to regret the wage bill i would imagine. ...

Hopper, Cain, Taft and Panayiotou won't need to be in the 25 man Premier League squad as they're under 21. You can have an unlimited number of under 21s in addition to the 25 named in your Prem squad.
Unless the rules have changed recently, under 21 actually means players who were under 21 on January 1st of the year the season starts.

Ive heard that he's entirely fictitious. So, I think the security guard from the block of student flats is telling one of those delicious pies made with pig meat that have crusty pastry and originated from Melton, obviously, seeing as this Hopper lad doesn't even exist

I can never remember what they're called.

Well. have we finished in the play off places to win the division?

We've finished our fixtures and are currently in the final play off spot. However, both Man Utd and Man City have one game remaining. If Man City win they finish a point above us and if Man Utd win, they go two points above us.

Man Utd play Reading tomorrow and Man City play Villa on Sunday. Surely they're not both going to blow it?

Whatever happens, we can only finish 6th behind the Mancs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Fulham. For a first season with an U21 team, that's not bad at all.

Next season, the U21 league splits into two groups of eleven with promotion/relegation. As a result of our run of seven wins and a draw from our final eight matches, we'll be in the top league at this level as well as the senior one! The other ten sides that will be in the top league next season are all current Premier League teams. The likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle will all be in the league below us.

Two of them four players spend the majority of their time ****ing about in nightclubs and bars. That's why they won't make it.

We've finished our fixtures and are currently in the final play off spot. However, both Man Utd and Man City have one game remaining. If Man City win they finish a point above us and if Man Utd win, they go two points above us.

Man Utd play Reading tomorrow and Man City play Villa on Sunday. Surely they're not both going to blow it?

Whatever happens, we can only finish 6th behind the Mancs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Fulham. For a first season with an U21 team, that's not bad at all.

Next season, the U21 league splits into two groups of eleven with promotion/relegation. As a result of our run of seven wins and a draw from our final eight matches, we'll be in the top league at this level as well as the senior one! The other ten sides that will be in the top league next season are all current Premier League teams. The likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle will all be in the league below us.

I would take the last line with a pinch of salt. For the bigger clubs, the under 21s is not what the big clubs are investing in. If they are between 18-21 and good enough, they will be on loan. Arsenal in particular prioritise European competition (UEFA Youth League) and invitational competitions over the under 21s league.

Last edited:
I would take the last line with a pinch of salt. For the bigger clubs, the under 21s is not what the big clubs are investing in. If they are between 18-21 and good enough, they will be on loan. Arsenal in particular prioritise European competition (UEFA Youth League) and invitational competitions over the under 21s league.

Something does not sit well with this statement. Is it part of the current Arsenal malaise? Arsenal are a club that I consider to have had a thoroughly professional attitude towards club development. Why would they neglect a significant aspect of 'vertical integration'?

Why not try to dominate/ compete at all levels available?

As BN points out, there are notable teams who will be in the second tier next year. Could they (players) be tempted to make the jump?

Last edited:

I know that for Arsenal this is most definitely true. They want their 18/19/20 year olds to be getting professional experience and so their players in that range are mostly out on loan.

Last edited:
I know that for Arsenal this is most definitely true. They want their 18/19/20 year olds to be getting professional experience and so their players in that range are mostly out on loan.

I went to the match last night. Afraid to report no break-through players on show. Dodoo was one of the worst players on a football pitch I have seen for a long time. Michael Cain can at least cross a ball and two of the goals came from his crosses.

We were totally out-classed and out-fought in the first half, playing 4-5-1, but came out 4-4-2 and had much more attacking threat. The front two look like they could have careers in the Professional game, but not at Premier League level. Looks like we have got to get the cheque book out.

Man U won last night so we can't get into the play offs.

Shame about the first day. Seems they found their feet a bit on day 2 re playing a competitive match in those conditions. I wonder if last may was a bit cooler? more the humidity than the heat in that locale - take note woy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669