The First Top 50 Of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

So if you went into a Pub on a Saturday night and asked the people in there if they had heard of song by each of those bands the majority would say they have?
Doesn't matter two fecks what some Tired Old Music hack things of it if you like it then thats what matters.The only polls that have any credence are those that are voted for by the listeners IMO

I agree I'd rather get soemthinhg 0n the reccomendation of other people who I know have similar tastes than me, rather than magazines, but i wouldn't take the opinion of a public voted poll and more than a magazine poll, it's both just people's opinions. One of them has a degree in journalism the other one doesn't, that's the only difference.

And the average person in the pub, isn't the audience of uncut magazine. People whor ead music magazines usually do so because they are really into music and eant to try and find new, great music which they would like. This list isn't aimed at your average person in the pub...

Last edited:

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
I don't take any notice of (m)any polls as most people are tossers with a wrong opinion, or a different type of tosser to me anyway

Profondo Rosso

I don't take any notice of (m)any polls as most people are tossers with a wrong opinion, or a different type of tosser to me anyway

I agree, i don't take much notice of polls either, most of them are a load of BS, especially one's in NME and Rolling Stone. But I thought this one was a good oversight of 2006

Last edited:

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
I agree, i don't take much notice of polls either, most of them are a load of BS, especially one's in NME and Rolling Stone. But I thought this one was a good oversight of 2006
Which makes our point even more valid :icon_wink

highland fox

The point I was trying to make is Bands would rather win an award in a Poll voted for by the Record buying public rather than what some supossed Critics have voted for.

Dunc

The point I was trying to make is Bands would rather win an award in a Poll voted for by the Record buying public rather than what some supossed Critics have voted for.

Of course the problem with this list is that it is very US-Indie led and so Mikey will like it cause the majority of what he recommend is American indie or US singer songwriter.

I personally find most US indie pretentious and dull, so I'm not going to like much on this list. For instance one of my favourites this year has been The Young Knives which is very British in itself but then I don't read Uncut for that very reason.

Even though the NME is the current Smash Hits, it talks about bands I like more than Uncut even though its reviews are so biased its unbelievable becuase of the fact it hypes bands and then can't be seen to say they are crap after all.

Try Metacritic - http://www.metacritic.com/music/ but even that proves that journo's have a bias, eg cokemachineglow and playlouder would never give Kasabian a good review even if they actually liked it.

The current top 30 using their scale is:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2006.shtml

Last edited:

Profondo Rosso

Of course the problem with this list is that it is very US-Indie led and so Mikey will like it cause the majority of what he recommend is American indie or US singer songwriter.

I personally find most US indie pretentious and dull, so I'm not going to like much on this list. For instance one of my favourites this year has been The Young Knives which is very British in itself but then I don't read Uncut for that very reason.

Even though the NME is the current Smash Hits, it talks about bands I like more than Uncut even though its reviews are so biased its unbelievable becuase of the fact it hypes bands and then can't be seen to say they are crap after all.

tbh I don't read any music magazines, and i only saw the uncut list over the internet. I use rateyourmusic.com and last.fm to discover music, but these are both American website's so teh majority of th estuff it reccomends is American, which is why my collection is leant towards the Us. That's not to say that I just discard all British music though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669