31.Mastodon - Blood Mountain
33.Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
34.Grandaddy - Just Like The Family Cat
40.Joan As Policewomen - Real Life
41.Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat
45.The Walkmen – A Hundred Miles Off

I found Espers II quite easy to get aswell

I'd say these records are easily get-able off Amazon or your local indie store
Of course they are, but that's not mainstream. I like Faster Pussycat, you can get this anywhere but it's hardly mainstream

Of course they are, but that's not mainstream. I like Faster Pussycat, you can get this anywhere but it's hardly mainstream

What would your definition of mainstream be then??

Well what is mainstream, the examples I gave there is what I believe to be the next division of mainstream behind the premier of Arctic Monkeys etc. Well its difficult to label mainstream, I listen to 6Music all day which is BBC's 3rd biggest station now, all these artists appear here and on last slots on BBC Radio 1.

To add, you and me are both of a different age and preference. Your mainstream and mine is going to be different. For example, you wont read the same magazines or websites giving the reviews of albums. You wont listen to the same music on the radio as me.

I think 42% of this list is mainstream
28% of it pre-mainstream
30% of it not.

Well what is mainstream, the examples I gave there is what I believe to be the next division of mainstream behind the premier of Arctic Monkeys etc. Well its difficult to label mainstream, I listen to 6Music all day which is BBC's 3rd biggest station now, all these artists appear here and on last slots on BBC Radio 1.

To add, you and me are both of a different age and preference. Your mainstream and mine is going to be different. For example, you wont read the same magazines or websites giving the reviews of albums. You wont listen to the same music on the radio as me.

I think 42% of this list is mainstream
28% of it pre-mainstream
30% of it not.

Exacly, like I said, a good mixture of mainstreamness, which is th eway ot should be. Just because they haven't heard of it some people write it off as pretentious shit, which is just stupid...

Exacly, like I said, a good mixture of mainstreamness, which is th eway ot should be. Just because they haven't heard of it some people write it off as pretentious shit, which is just stupid...

Well if the theory of everything which is underheard is pretentious, which was the judgement people were making without listening when first looking at the list, we are best just to stick to albums for the Top 20 Uk Chart.

Well if the theory of everything which is underheard is pretentious, which was the judgement people were making without listening when first looking at the list, we are best just to stick to albums for the Top 20 Uk Chart.

Yep, just because an album sells 2 millions copies, that means it's obviously miles better than something that sells 2 thousand copies...

There is the theory however when something becomes so popular its uncool.

Yeh, but that's a stupid, snobbish theory. IMO you should just listen to music because you like it not because you think it's cool, or because it sells too many/not enough records.

Why can't you like R.E.M. and Espers??

Last edited:
Thats the general idea.

Is that question in reference to me?

No, it was just in general to everyone. R.E.M. and Espers are 2 of my all-time favourite bands...

Last edited:
Mainstream = Something that appeals to the majority of music listeners and their current tastes

:018: I strongly disagree!!! It's hardly obscure at all. A nice mixture of varying mainstreamness (I doubt that's a real word) which is the way it should be, if something has sold millions of records it doesn't make any better than something tah has sold a couplw of thousands of records.

Most of those albums are pretty popular, and I'm surpised your not a Flaming Lips fan anyway HF.

So if you went into a Pub on a Saturday night and asked the people in there if they had heard of song by each of those bands the majority would say they have?
Doesn't matter two fecks what some Tired Old Music hack things of it if you like it then thats what matters.The only polls that have any credence are those that are voted for by the listeners IMO

Last edited:
Mainstream = Something that appeals to the majority of music listeners and their current tastes

Not really, I think mainsteram music is just for people who aren't too interested in msuic, and don't want to look for things they like, chances are if you keep your ears open you'll hear something you like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669