Speculation The hysterically annoying, and totally unfounded, but traditional, January 2024 rumours thread.

Yeah but he's in the final 6 months of his contract now so there won't be much of a transfer fee left on the books to amortised.

Thats on top of 60-80% of the original transfer being amortised over his original contract - we wouldn't have expected him to be here for 10 years to begin with so those first 3-4 years would have written off at least 60% of the original transfer.

We could definitely offloaded some players with a bit of creativity but I believe we have been looking to make a profit on our transfers, rather than just covering costs.
Ward is not out of contract in the summer

Yeah but he's in the final 6 months of his contract now so there won't be much of a transfer fee left on the books to amortised.

Thats on top of 60-80% of the original transfer being amortised over his original contract - we wouldn't have expected him to be here for 10 years to begin with so those first 3-4 years would have written off at least 60% of the original transfer.

We could definitely offloaded some players with a bit of creativity but I believe we have been looking to make a profit on our transfers, rather than just covering cost
I agree, the only reason I can think of for not following this strategy would be to set an example to others. To try and show that the club will not entertain 'paying off' players to leave in the hope that they will bite the bullet and leave for game time elsewhere. If this is the strategy it isn't woking very well is ii!

No. 17 months.
Ruined my weekend already.

How the **** have we let that happen.

I bet we extended it expecting we could get a decent fee for him - what a bunch of ****wits we have!

Danny Ward making 30 grand a week for another 18 months is enough to make any man despair.

We've ****ed it, give the earth back to the dinosaurs.
Very stark when you put it like that isn't it. Makes your own work feel like a complete waste of effort if you measure it in monetary terms.

He literally - literally - does not have any pressure on him for that.

Very stark when you put it like that isn't it. Makes your own work feel like a complete waste of effort if you measure it in monetary terms.

He literally - literally - does not have any pressure on him for that.
£2.3 million for dropping his guts

Although I don’t disagree that the lack of Sensi joining us for a disappointing and that Enzo has s probably disappointed, there are two points to consider:

1) Enzo knew all along what the situation was in relation to inbound transfers. I have heard him on numerous occasions say that something like ‘it is with the club but I understand that we can’t buy until we sell.’

2) Casadei is no loss at all. The only loss is in terms of numbers and cover. He barely had a decent 15 minutes for us in any of his games.

So, financially, is our best play that we get promoted, sign no one/spend very little while clearing the big out of contract earners off the list, and just accept that we will get relegated again as a result, to then hopefully bounce straight back again in a better position to give it a go?

If we stay up without recruiting, even better but incredibly unlikely.

Sounds fun....

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463