The LCFC ex-players thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lane

I saw Trevor Benjamin play last night in a preseason game for Peterborough Utd against Stamford. He missed a PK, which apparently is par for the course for him as of late. Stamford won 1-0.

MHS

Sky Sports said:
Former Sheffield Wednesday and Mansfield Town goalkeeper Kevin Pressman has confirmed he is retiring from professional football.
The 38-year-old played 41 league games last season for The Stags before being released in May, and with no offers on the table has opted to hang up his gloves.
"I can't sit around forever just waiting for the phone to ring. They say don't pack football in too early; it seems football has packed me in," Pressman told The Star.
"I'm confident I could do a job at Championship level for a few seasons but that's not going to be.
"I was told a month before the end of the season that Mansfield would be okay to get another contract. At the end I was told there was nothing.
"That's the politics of football. As a player you don't want to get involved in that.''
Pressman made nearly 550 appearances during his career, which began with Wednesday back in 1985.
After nearly 19 years at Hillsborough, which encompassed loan spells with both Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion, Pressman went on to join Leicester City, Leeds United, Coventry City and Mansfield.
However it is primarily for his work with The Owls that Pressman will be remembered, and the keeper says he would be desperate for a return to the club where he started his career.
"My dream would be to go back to Wednesday as a player and coach and help them out of the difficulties they have now," Pressman added. The keeper also represented England at Under-21 and B level during his lengthy career.

Steven

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Some sad news regarding Gavin, his wife has been diagnosed with cancer and due to some sort of postcode lottery, she is unable to recieve specific drugs that would aid her fight against the disease. They are presently campaigning for the drugs to be supplied by the local authority.

In the recent play off semi final 2nd leg the PNE players wore pink t-shirts in the warm up to generate support and publicise her plight.

I hope everything has gone ok for Mrs Ward.

fcukcov

Could mr pressman potentially comeback to lcfc as goal keeping coach to release stoweel for his assitant manger duties? just a thought.

fcukcov

Melton Fox said:
Here come the pie jokes
yep surprised there ahvent been any yet but if sheff weds dont want him as a coach I think I would have him.

Before anyone asks what im basing that on i would say the fact that he has had a number of years experience in the top two tiers of english football as a fairly decent goalkeeper, okay his weight has been the butt of many a joke over the years but the guy has done well for himself and i for one would like him as goalkeeping coach.

Last edited:

MHS

fcukcov said:
yep surprised there ahvent been any yet but if sheff weds dont want him as a coach I think I would have him.

Before anyone asks what im basing that on i would say the fact that he has had a number of years experience in the top two tiers of english football as a fairly decent goalkeeper, okay his weight has been the butt of many a joke over the years but the guy has done well for himself and i for one would like him as goalkeeping coach.

We probably wont be able to get any one better then him.

fcukcov

Mike Hunt Smells said:
We probably wont be able to get any one better then him.
theres is that as well.:icon_roll :icon_lol:

MHS

Sky Sports News said:
Bradford City have completed the signing of Alan Rogers on a week-to-week basis as boss Colin Todd gears up for another League One campaign.
Versatile left-sider Rogers goes straight in to Bradford's squad for their opener against Nottingham Forest, who somewhat ironically were the club that released him in May.
Rogers spent time on-loan at Hull last term but will now attempt to win a permanent stay at Valley Parade over the ensuing weeks, much to the delight of new taskmaster Todd.
''We've signed him on a non-contract basis, but I'm delighted to get Alan on board,'' said Todd.
''He has plenty of experience and that is something we have been lacking.
''He will give us further options and add greater strength in depth to our squad. ''He's one of several good signings we've made this week and I've been delighted I've been able to strengthen the squad.''

pds

Not strictly an ex-player but Dion Dublin's brother was in O-Bar in Braunstone Gate last night.

MHS

Sky Sports News said:
Steve Guppy is weighing up an offer to join Wycombe Wanderers for the third time in his career.
The veteran winger has been training with the League Two side in pre-season and has figured prominently in friendlies.
He has been offered a contract by new Chairboys boss Paul Lambert and is now mulling over a return to Adams Park.
"I've made up my mind that I'm definitely going to play this year," Guppy told Wycombe's official website.
"I've spoken to a few clubs and we'll see how it goes. I've had a good summer so far, I've trained really hard and I'm feeling good."
Guppy has most recently been playing in America with DC United following the end of his second stint at Wycombe last year.
He has impressed Lambert during pre-season, but the former Scotland international is unsure if the 37-year-old will sign the deal.
Lambert said: "We're now at the stage whether he's going to accept what I've got to offer him.
"I haven't a clue what he'll decide to do, but he's been doing fine since I've been here."

We'll have him down the left...

MHS

Sky Sports News said:
Mansfield Town midfielder Stephen Dawson and referee Kevin Wright face possible suspensions after a yellow card mix-up on Tuesday evening.
Dawson was handed two yellow cards for a foul and dissent by referee Wright in Mansfield's 2-1 home win over Milton Keynes Dons.
Both bookings should have resulted in a red card for the former Leicester City trainee, but that proved not to be the case and Dawson was substituted in the dying stages of the game at Field Mill.
The Football League have confirmed they will investigate the situation to see if any indiscretion has occurred.
"The League is currently awaiting the match video," said a Football League spokesman.
"If it is felt the referee failed to apply the laws of the game correctly, the matter will be referred to the Football Association."
Stags boss Peter Shirtliff says he was unaware that Dawson may had received a second booking against MK Dons. "I did not see Stephen Dawson get a second yellow card, so it baffles me if he did," Shirtliff told the Mansfield Chad.

Are you Graham Poll in disguise? :icon_lol:

pds

Apparently the old Tommy Wright is now at a team called GB (not sure whether managing or playing). Anyway I play against them first match of the season. Hope he isn't playing as I am a full back.:eek:

MHS

pds said:
Apparently the old Tommy Wright is now at a team called GB (not sure whether managing or playing). Anyway I play against them first match of the season. Hope he isn't playing as I am a full back.:eek:

I thought he was Oldham's assistant manager...

Maybe not then. :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670