The Run in, is top 6 totally out of reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The top 6 was absolutely in reach. It probably now isn’t after yesterdays calamity.

But we’re putting all of our eggs in the basket of a competition our manager knew nothing about. We had a collapse of the highest order last season, meaning that rather than playing in the Champions League we had to play in the Europa League which at least is still half prestigious. We then ****ed up the easiest of groups and fallen into the European Johnstone Paint Trophy.

It’s embarrassing to say the least. As the whole season has been.

I do think that for the rest of the league season, there will me more games like the Newcastle game.
Yes, I do think there will be some good performances in the league to come but still too many like against Newcastle.
Ah well, there's always next season.

The top 6 was absolutely in reach. It probably now isn’t after yesterdays calamity.

But we’re putting all of our eggs in the basket of a competition our manager knew nothing about. We had a collapse of the highest order last season, meaning that rather than playing in the Champions League we had to play in the Europa League which at least is still half prestigious. We then ****ed up the easiest of groups and fallen into the European Johnstone Paint Trophy.

Nowhere in that, do you mention perhaps why some of it occurred.

Do you actually enjoy supporting City or is it just something more for you to moan about?

We won the FA Cup last season and the Charity Shield this one, and we looked superb until Fofana got injured, closely followed by two thirds of the team being injured at one time or another.

Yesterday we were poor and should have won. Of course all of our eggs are in one basket, this is because we only have one realistic thing to aim for, so everything is geared to trying to win the competition and qualify for the Europa League.

True, BR didn’t know about the Confrrence but we are in it and we are in our first European semi final in our history.

Most fans would die to be sitting where we are in terms of success over our recent history.

If supporting LCFC is so disappointing to you there are another 91 or so other clubs to choose from. I’m sure some of them even have the wall to wall continued success you seem to crave.

Alternatively, you could perhaps purchase some perspective.

I think the last few weeks have proven that this has an awful lot to do with squad availability.

Brendan for me has more than proven he's a very capable manager. Our priorities must now be improving both the depth and resistance of the squad so we have nowhere near the same problems next season.

as I posted in another thread, finish above Wolves in 8th and support the ‘Ammers to EL glory and we’re back in our new favourite European competition next season.

as I posted in another thread, finish above Wolves in 8th and support the ‘Ammers to EL glory and we’re back in our new favourite European competition next season.
7th would have been definitely achievable before today (it still might). And as you say, 8th could potentially do it.

So seeing as we’re putting all our eggs in the Euro JPT basket, is it a case of wanting Europa League or nothing next season? Would we rather have no European football next season than be in this tournament I wonder?

That is one massive overreaction. We have been decimated by injuries which has made things impossible for us. The season hasn't been great but it is far from embarrassing.

You need to go and talk to an Everton fan if you think the season has been embarrassing.

7th would have been definitely achievable before today (it still might). And as you say, 8th could potentially do it.

So seeing as we’re putting all our eggs in the Euro JPT basket, is it a case of wanting Europa League or nothing next season? Would we rather have no European football next season than be in this tournament I wonder?
It’s a reasonable question. For the usual CL suspects, the EL is seen as a distraction. Would we feel the same about this next season?

personally given our historical lack of European football, and the enjoyment this competition has brought along with matches against “proper” European teams I’d rather be in it than not.

As much as I'm hoping we win it this season, I'd rather not be in UECL next season.

Unless you win it, it doesn't mean a lot. It's worth winning for the silverware and the good qualification it gives you for the Europa League. But going out in the quarters or any stage before in this tournament would be a very poor display, but if you don't go on to win it that's a lot of extra games for no great outcome. But we can see from this season that winning will be a tough ask with good teams left in it by the final 4. And it's cup knockout football, so one bad day can see a lot of effort go to waste.

I can't imagine being in the UECL as being enough of a draw to new signings.

And I think we stand a much, much better chance of qualifying for the Europa League through our league position next season if we don't have a UECL campaign on the side.

So if don't win it this year, I'd rather not be in Europe and have a stronger chance to qualify for the bigger European competition through the league next season.

Also with a rebuild job to be done this summer, less European games would give us more scope to trim some fat from the squad.

BR didn’t know about the Confrrence
I actually see (and saw) this as a positive. He didn't know about it because he was concentrating on a different competition. It's clear now though that he knows about it.

The top 8 being enough to qualify for European competitions....lol. what have they done to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669