The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last book I finished was Dewey, about a cat that lived in a library for 19 years. I knew I would cry at the end.:icon_cry:

Am now working through the Harry Potter books again, before reading the latest Terry Pratchett.

It's good not great, don't expect too much football action.

Imperium - Ryszard Kapuscinski.
A Reporter's Self Portrait - Kapuscinski (not available in English yet).
How to Cure a Fanatic - Amos Oz.

I have enjoyed all three of them thoroughly - esp. the collection of interviews that Kapuscinski gave during his life. We have a great translator in Sweden, Anders Bodegård, who translates from Polish to Swedish (very well too apparently, however my Polish knowledge is not deep enough to judge myself).

That way most of Kapuscinski's books are translated into Swedish (sadly not Lapidarium I-V though) and they say Wislawa Szymborska would never have got the Nobel Prize without Bodegård's work.

Next: Der rasende Reporter - Egon Erwin Kisch.

I'm listening to the Twilight Saga at the minute.

Bought the missus the books for christmas and she loved it so thought i should check what all the fuss was about.

It's a pretty good read/listen but not earth-shattering, maybe i'm just not the target audience

I'm half way through 'One hump or two' Frank Worthington's life story. A lot of it's just bragging about the women he's had (virtually a different one on every page) but the chapters about his time at Leicester are fascinating. The names of some of the players and places take me back to when i was a kid.A really good read and hard to put down.

I'm half way through 'One hump or two' Frank Worthington's life story. A lot of it's just bragging about the women he's had (virtually a different one on every page) but the chapters about his time at Leicester are fascinating. The names of some of the players and places take me back to when i was a kid.A really good read and hard to put down.

unlike Peter Shilton's book, which is by far one of THE most boring books ever written.

the boy in the striped pyjamas - well written from a 9 year old's perspective, nasty and predictable ending.
Shame you end up feeling sympathy for the fat kraut kid and his family rather that 6 million jews...

unlike Peter Shilton's book, which is by far one of THE most boring books ever written.

Still sitting in my bookcase, only the first twenty or so pages have ever been turned some four years after I bought it. I honestly couldn't believe some of the things he thought worthy of inclusion in that early part of the book.

I bought a box set of five football biographies from Poundland the other day.

David Beckham My Son - Ted Beckham
Playing Extra Time - Alan Ball
Fowler - Robbie Fowler
Bestie, Autobiography of George Best - Joe Lovejoy
Kevin Keegan - Michael Hodges

Are any of them any good or should I just put them on eBay?

I bought a box set of five football biographies from Poundland the other day.

David Beckham My Son - Ted Beckham
Playing Extra Time - Alan Ball
Fowler - Robbie Fowler
Bestie, Autobiography of George Best - Joe Lovejoy
Kevin Keegan - Michael Hodges

Are any of them any good or should I just put them on eBay?

No idea. The Beckham one sounds like a load of bollocks though. I'd suggest Robbie Slater's autobiography 'The Hard Way'. It's not a great book, but it was enjoyable.

Still sitting in my bookcase, only the first twenty or so pages have ever been turned some four years after I bought it. I honestly couldn't believe some of the things he thought worthy of inclusion in that early part of the book.

If you think that the first 20 pages are bad, you need to read the rest...:icon_conf

Someone else needs to suffer and read it!!

If you think that the first 20 pages are bad, you need to read the rest...:icon_conf

Someone else needs to suffer and read it!!

He's on Lets Dance For Sport Relief shortly. I thought I'd let you know as I'm sure you wouldnt want to miss him.

He's on Lets Dance For Sport Relief shortly. I thought I'd let you know as I'm sure you wouldnt want to miss him.

Did anyone else see poor old Pete with Jason Cundy as "The Footballers" on Lets Dance For Sport Relief dancing to "Men In Black" But at least they came 3rd as they lost on Reality TV's equivalent of a penalty shootout to Grumpy Old Women who had done "Poker Face" and they go through to the final with Heather from Eastenders, who danced to Ice Ice Baby:icon_eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669