The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hadn't been through this thread before, but some interesting recommendations. I thought I'd throw my tuppence in... and the books that spring to mind in the best that I have ever read category (as opposed to easy-to-read good books such as Dan Brown etc) are:

Atonement - Ian McEwan
Human Traces - Sebastian Faulks
Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Curious Incedent of The Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon

Any other recommendations along this lines much appreciated...

And if you're in to literary short stories:

Everything That Rises Must Converge - Flannery O'Connor

I'll be picking up some of the suggested reading from this thread asap.

Someone did A-Level English Lit. :icon_wink

It's a really interesting read. Jonathan Wilson is one of the few football writers worth reading imo, his articles in the Guardian & the Times and other book about Eastern European football are both really interesting too. Has another book coming out this year regarding games that changed the face of English football or something along those lines. Looking forward to it.

Tried Simon Kuper? "Football Against The Enemy" is a great read.

It's a really interesting read. Jonathan Wilson is one of the few football writers worth reading imo, his articles in the Guardian & the Times and other book about Eastern European football are both really interesting too. Has another book coming out this year regarding games that changed the face of English football or something along those lines. Looking forward to it.

I've just bought this as well, really enjoying it so far. The first chapter or so when he talks about the origins of the game really made me chuckle, I love the thought of England lining up 1-2-7 against Scotland who employed the far more conservative 2-2-6.

It's proving to be a fascinating read so far, I'll give my full verdict after I've finished it...

I agree im hooked, although all the eastern euopean names can make it heavy reading when im tired. It is really interesting though and Ive learnt loads about the game, I didn't realise just how far back the corruption goes in Italian "football".

I've just bought this as well, really enjoying it so far. The first chapter or so when he talks about the origins of the game really made me chuckle, I love the thought of England lining up 1-2-7 against Scotland who employed the far more conservative 2-2-6.

It's proving to be a fascinating read so far, I'll give my full verdict after I've finished it...

and it ended 0-0!!

I agree im hooked, although all the eastern euopean names can make it heavy reading when im tired. It is really interesting though and Ive learnt loads about the game, I didn't realise just how far back the corruption goes in Italian "football".

I don't recall if it mentions it in the book, but Herrera's Inter side supposedly paid the ref in a European Cup semi-finals with Liverpool. Shankly then hated Inter and Herrera so much after that, and also being close friends with Jock Stein, that he is supposed to have watched the 1967 European Cup final in the Celtic end with a Celtic shirt on. :icon_lol:

I don't recall if it mentions it in the book, but Herrera's Inter side supposedly paid the ref in a European Cup semi-finals with Liverpool. Shankly then hated Inter and Herrera so much after that, and also being close friends with Jock Stein, that he is supposed to have watched the 1967 European Cup final in the Celtic end with a Celtic shirt on. :icon_lol:

It doesnt mention the last part so far about the celtic chirst but certainly mentions the rest of it.

just finished narrow dog to indian river, the follow up book to when a couple take their narrow boat across the channel and down through france.
They go to the states this time and absolutely nothing happens at all, couldn't engage like i did with the first.

read goodbye Tsugumi by banana yoshimoto bit girly but good read.

current halfway through Norwegian wood by haruki murakami

The hungry caterpillar.
I have to say I was disappointed it didnt seem to go anywhere. Not sure why it was classed as a classic.
A bit above me to be honest.
nice work teacher boy....

I have started reading World War Z. Its a collection of interviews and eye witness events recorded after humanity spends 10 years fighting against an outbreak of the living dead.

Its a little political for me, the first chapters cover the arguments leading up to the breakout (who is to blame / what could have been done to prevent it etc..) but it does get better as it seems to move on from that.

I've just started Peter Hook's book on The Hacienda, 'How Not To Run A Club'.

As someone lucky enough to go there a good few times I'm finding it a fun read so far. Hook (quite rightly) describes himself as an overpaid arrogant twat and I'm not gonna argue with that but the book's worth looking at if you have any interest in the music scene from '82-'97.

Currently reading 'The Old Patagonian Express' by Paul Theroux

Going very well indeed, can't put it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669