4) William Orr
5) Jock Wallace

Where does Pearson rank?

1) Matt Gillies
2) Martin O'Neill
3) William Orr
4) Jimmy Bloomfield
5) Jock Wallace / Nigel Pearson

I see where you're going but I still would put him above O'Farrell.

Well we've won the second tier 5 times, O'Farrel was one of those, plus an FA cup final. I wasn't around then so don't know what kind of football we were playing, but seems like a decent record for less than 3 years in charge.

Megson
Kelly
Levein
Taylor
Pleat

:icon_eek:

Well we've won the second tier 5 times, O'Farrel was one of those, plus an FA cup final. I wasn't around then so don't know what kind of football we were playing, but seems like a decent record for less than 3 years in charge.
We were also relegated in his first year in charge.

Jimmy Bloomfield No1 for the style of football we played, i also remember us smashing the £100k transfer barrier lots f times

There is a similar thread over on FT at the moment which has generated a fair bit of discussion about Gordon Milne's omission from similar lists. He was before my time and I know little about him (whilst I know a bit about Gillies, Bloomfield and Wallace) but his record suggests he ought to be up there. He certainly had a better record than Wallace and went on to do well abroad. Is there any reason he is rarely considered? Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man.

There is a similar thread over on FT at the moment which has generated a fair bit of discussion about Gordon Milne's omission from similar lists. He was before my time and I know little about him (whilst I know a bit about Gillies, Bloomfield and Wallace) but his record suggests he ought to be up there. He certainly had a better record than Wallace and went on to do well abroad. Is there any reason he is rarely considered? Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man.

My LCFC memory goes back to around the 82 semi against Spurs, so just before the start of his reign. The years with Lineker, Smith, Shilton had their ups and downs that's for sure. We were promoted in 3rd place in 1983 and finished 15th two seasons running then in 86 4th from bottom, then finally relegated. I think the mid-80's were forgettable for all kinds of reasons, not just our mediocre performance, but Milne's record isn't that great and I don't remember us playing blinding football at the time.

:018: One win away from our seventh title at this level.

I must have missed one - do we equal Man City now then (er... assuming we win this time)?

My LCFC memory goes back to around the 82 semi against Spurs, so just before the start of his reign. The years with Lineker, Smith, Shilton had their ups and downs that's for sure. We were promoted in 3rd place in 1983 and finished 15th two seasons running then in 86 4th from bottom, then finally relegated. I think the mid-80's were forgettable for all kinds of reasons, not just our mediocre performance, but Milne's record isn't that great and I don't remember us playing blinding football at the time.

On the face of it his record looks a good one for a club of our stature. Not up there with Gillies, Bloomfield or O'Neill, but certainly enough to be considered above the likes of Little and Pearson (so far). As I said I wasn't about but I'd take a couple of fifteenths and a seventeenth over the next three years.

On the face of it his record looks a good one for a club of our stature. Not up there with Gillies, Bloomfield or O'Neill, but certainly enough to be considered above the likes of Little and Pearson (so far). As I said I wasn't about but I'd take a couple of fifteenths and a seventeenth over the next three years.

Fair enough on the league finishes, but you'd also want a cup run or two. I think my issue with him is I think we were a better team when he took over, than when he left and didn't come away with anything afterwards. For me a manager leaves his mark by either winning something, or leaving you in a better position than when he arrived. Little achieved that (just about) and Pearson already has, twice.

I was speaking to a friend of his last year (the person being a physio) and apparently he is considered a legend by Besiktas. He used to visit once a season and he was treated like a king.

For me, this has been a season when Nigel Pearson has left the ghost of Martin O'Neill to rest so I rate Nigel now as the best manager we've ever had, right back to and including Matt Gillies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669