Top 5 City Managers of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've missed them all - the last one was two years before I was born. And yes, we'll equal their record if we win it.

While growing into my role as a City fan during school days the statistic that we had won the 2nd Division title more times than any other club always seemed to sum us up perfectly & used to be a constant point of baiting from the sadarsed glory boys of the time (mostly Liverpool in those days...the same people have probably been Utd fans for the last 20 years & are now considering where to switch to next)

On a side note...you were born in 1982??? I hope you don't take this the wrong way or anything but I imagined you to be much older (sorry)

Born in 82? Well my oh my that's a surprise.

It is not easy. Sadly we have never had a Stan Cullis, Alf Ramsey or Brian Clough. I will omit Matt Gillies as he was before I came to Lei8cester. For me it is between Jimmy Bloomfield and Martin O'Neill.

O'Farrell has been mentioned. He was a good manager in the Micky Adams sense. His team was very organised and difficult to beat. However, O'Farrell gained promotion with superb players he inherited from Matt Gillies. Imagine a Second Division team that has Shilton as number one and Lennie Glover as number 11. His work in the transfer market was not that good and in the case of his most expensive signing expensive Malcolm Partridge (£50,000) laughable.

One key difference is Robbie Savage. For O'Neill Savage was a key player. Bloomfield would never have tolerated a cheat who regularly dived or tried to get players sent off. This may be why Bloomfield's team was loved by supporters and admired by opposition fans but never won anything.

For me O'neill sits head and shoulders above everybody.

I didn't see the Bloomfield sides so can't comment, but as David correctly points out, the trophy cabinet was empty during that time.

For me O'neill sits head and shoulders above everybody.

I didn't see the Bloomfield sides so can't comment, but as David correctly points out, the trophy cabinet was empty during that time.
Apart from The Charity Shield won in his first game in charge.

Sure it's been asked before, quite possibly by me, but have any other teams won the Charity Shield without winning the top division or The FA Cup?

Apart from The Charity Shield won in his first game in charge.

My memory of this is vague but I seem to remember it being ourselves as Second Division Champions against Liverpool. Certainly early in the Bloomfield reign we beat Liverpool and Bill Shankly said "Leicester played like a Second Division team." Jimmy must have agreed with him as he went out and bought Birchenall and Weller on the same day and Frank Worthington shortly after transforming our attack for the better.

On their best days the Bloomfield team would have beaten the O'Neill team at their best. But oh dear the Bloomfield team could have some really bad days - 2-0 down against non-league Leatherhead with Birch and Rofe blaming each other and coming to blows. .

My memory of this is vague but I seem to remember it being ourselves as Second Division Champions against Liverpool. Certainly early in the Bloomfield reign we beat Liverpool and Bill Shankly said "Leicester played like a Second Division team." Jimmy must have agreed with him as he went out and bought Birchenall and Weller on the same day and Frank Worthington shortly after transforming our attack for the better.

On their best days the Bloomfield team would have beaten the O'Neill team at their best. But oh dear the Bloomfield team could have some really bad days - 2-0 down against non-league Leatherhead with Birch and Rofe blaming each other and coming to blows. .

"Kelly the lip", said he was going to do us, and very nearly did.
Jon Sammels goal line clearance was the turning point, IIRC. :)

My memory only goes as far back as Gordon Milne, and Martin O'Neil is head and shoulders above the rest. Milne, Hamilton, Little and Adams are the only others to have managed City in the top flight, with only Milne doing so successfully. That makes Pearson joint third by default, with a good opportunity to strike out from there.

Sure it's been asked before, quite possibly by me, but have any other teams won the Charity Shield without winning the top division or The FA Cup?

Yes, Brighton.

Yes, Brighton.

Thanks.

On a separate note though, I'm surprised and slightly disappointed this hasn't brought around the crap that MON did more bad than good for the club.

........O'Farrell has been mentioned. He was a good manager in the Micky Adams sense. His team was very organised and difficult to beat. However, O'Farrell gained promotion with superb players he inherited from Matt Gillies. Imagine a Second Division team that has Shilton as number one and Lennie Glover as number 11. His work in the transfer market was not that good and in the case of his most expensive signing expensive Malcolm Partridge (£50,000) laughable.......

O'Farrell did buy the engine room of that side, Willie Carlin and Bobby Kellard and in the case of the latter paid the same amount as he did for Partridge, with however a much better result.

I must have missed one - do we equal Man City now then (er... assuming we win this time)?

Well we've won the second tier 5 times, O'Farrel was one of those, plus an FA cup final. I wasn't around then so don't know what kind of football we were playing, but seems like a decent record for less than 3 years in charge.

:018: One win away from our seventh title at this level.

English second tier (currently Football League Championship)
Champions (7): 1924–25, 1936–37, 1953–54, 1956–57, 1970–71, 1979–80
Runners-up (2): 1907–08, 2002–03
Play-off Winners (2): 1993–94, 1995–96

Strange how Wiki say We´ve won it 7 times, but only list six seasons?? Are they getting slightly ahead of themselves I wonder?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670