Tour de France 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaarev

Nothing in here so far about this year's Tour. How is the media attention in the UK this season? Chris Froome has been really impressive so far and it looks like it will be the second Sky win in two years.

I watch it and have done for many years. There's plenty of TV coverage here, but the media in general aren't as big on it this year as they were last year. Whether that's because Wiggins was the first to do it last year and so the novelty value has gone a bit, or whether it's a bit less of a story because Froome's not born in this country and so the stories of him growing up in North London don't exist, I'm not sure. I do feel, however, that his triumph (if he goes on to win it) this year, has been far more impressive than Wiggins last year, in terms of the cycling shown.

I watch it and have done for many years. There's plenty of TV coverage here, but the media in general aren't as big on it this year as they were last year. Whether that's because Wiggins was the first to do it last year and so the novelty value has gone a bit, or whether it's a bit less of a story because Froome's not born in this country and so the stories of him growing up in North London don't exist, I'm not sure. I do feel, however, that his triumph (if he goes on to win it) this year, has been far more impressive than Wiggins last year, in terms of the cycling shown.
Totally agree! But it remains to be seen what happens in tomorrows monster stage in the alps. Really impressed by Froome's assistant Porte. He has done the job Froome did for Wiggins last year.

Totally agree! But it remains to be seen what happens in tomorrows monster stage in the alps. Really impressed by Froome's assistant Porte. He has done the job Froome did for Wiggins last year.

I'm not sure he's done quite that good a job. He's done well, don't get me wrong, but Froome has been isolated at times, something Wiggins didn't have to face with Froome as his domestique last year.

I'm not sure he's done quite that good a job. He's done well, don't get me wrong, but Froome has been isolated at times, something Wiggins didn't have to face with Froome as his domestique last year.
Sky has a weeker team this year and it wasn't helped by losing Kiryienka early on, and then Boasson Hagen. Boasson Hagen would have taken a lot of the hard work which now more or less is all left to Porte. Porte had one bad day in the Pyrenees, apart from that he's been immense. Obviously not quite up there with Froome's job last year. After all, Froome could have won last year if it weren't for Sky choosing Wiggins as captain.
Today is crucial. Up Alpe -d'Huez in wind and rain might change the picture dramatically. Not to talk off the crazy downhill on wet roads! Let's hope they all come through alive!!!

Sky has a weeker team this year and it wasn't helped by losing Kiryienka early on, and then Boasson Hagen. Boasson Hagen would have taken a lot of the hard work which now more or less is all left to Porte. Porte had one bad day in the Pyrenees, apart from that he's been immense. Obviously not quite up there with Froome's job last year. After all, Froome could have won last year if it weren't for Sky choosing Wiggins as captain.
Today is crucial. Up Alpe -d'Huez in wind and rain might change the picture dramatically. Not to talk off the crazy downhill on wet roads! Let's hope they all come through alive!!!

This is all true, I just think Wiggins was a bit fortunate to have the team he had behind him last year. Porte has been stunning and Kennaugh, other than when he fell, has done well too, but Wiggins was never isolated last year and Froome had to do Ax 3 Domaines on his own, something he actually made look fairly comfortable.

This is all true, I just think Wiggins was a bit fortunate to have the team he had behind him last year. Porte has been stunning and Kennaugh, other than when he fell, has done well too, but Wiggins was never isolated last year and Froome had to do Ax 3 Domaines on his own, something he actually made look fairly comfortable.

He was. Cycling is more of a team sport than most people are aware off. Doesn't diminish Wiggins' success last year though, His tempo stages showed that he was a good choice as captain.

You are spot on again. The route and set up also suited Wiggins more last year. I'm not sure he's have done as well this year though, with more emphasis on pure climbing.

What's the view in Norway Blaarev? 2011 was so good for Norway with Boasson Hagen and Hushovd, is interest still as high without that?

You are spot on again. The route and set up also suited Wiggins more last year. I'm not sure he's have done as well this year though, with more emphasis on pure climbing.

What's the view in Norway Blaarev? 2011 was so good for Norway with Boasson Hagen and Hushovd, is interest still as high without that?
2011 was a fantastic Tour for Norway. This year we had hopes for sprint wins for Kristoff (bronze winner in the olympics) and that Boasson Hagen could win a stage or two and maybe have the yellow jersey for a day or two early on. So it was quite a blow when Boasson Hagen fractured his shoulder. There has been some debate about his role in Sky. Quite a few experts (not only Norwegians) thinks that he doesn't get to fullfil his potential and that he could have been a contender for overall victories instead of just being happy with single stage wins and helping out the captains of Sky.

Last edited:
I don't understand how something beautiful like cycling has gone from this

MPW-39421

To this, in my lifetime.

DSF9251-copy.jpg

Richie Porte :038: Fantastic job for Froome today.

What a result for France today too, well done Monsieur Riblon!!

Richie Porte :038: Fantastic job for Froome today.

What a result for France today too, well done Monsieur Riblon!!

Yes, incredible job by Porte!!! The way he came back up to Froome and Quintana's group when Froome looked a bit jaded was impressive. And then when Froome went flat and needed energy, Porte dropped back to collect energy bars and came up to Froome again. Froome has a lot of seconds, if not minutes, to thank Porte for today. There might be a 20 sec penalty for Froome since they were outside the "feeding" zone, but he would have lost more without refill.

Great for France. Their first stage win of this Tour.

Last edited:
There might be a 20 sec penalty for Froome since they were outside the "feeding" zone, but he would have lost more without refill.
20 sec penalty confirmed. Difference between Froome and Contador is now 5.11

Great for France. Their first stage win of this Tour.

Yeah and great that it happened on a signature stage like today too. It reminds me of Pierre Rolland winning up there a couple of years ago, the atmosphere looked incredible.

What's a feeding zone? I assume it's self explanatory, but what's the rationale?
There are certain parts of the stage where it's not allowed to pick up food and drink from the service cars. I'm not aware of there are any others then the last few km before the end

Been a big fan of the TdF for a while. It's been awesome to see Froome tackling them climbs and we look like we have a new star in Quintana who I suspect may struggle to win a TdF but will win a Vuelta or Giro no problem.

I must admit despite having no issue with Team Sky and their ways; I fear Froome could be another Armstrong etc. I have found it funny seeing Contador hurt at particular stages in that regard.

Btw Sky did a feed outside the zone on Saturday's stage too. Wasn't picked up with as much coverage. Whilst there's been some great individual stages, its a shame that the jersey's haven't been more competitively fought. The King of Mountains is the only one which could be challenged and Froome is likely to give that way if Riblon (outside chance) or Quintana fancy it.

By the way, Robert Millar's blogs during the Tour have been great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570