Train help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Breathe slowly and tell us what happened.

Loads of delays due to singal failure on the line to liverpool. Made me 15 minutes late for my interview.

Can I claim back the price of any un used train tickets and if so how do I go about it? I have the return leg of an off-peak return and an advanced single that I didn't use (got an earlier train and got a new ticket for that one). Any help much appreciated.

Loads of delays due to singal failure on the line to liverpool. Made me 15 minutes late for my interview.

Can I claim back the price of any un used train tickets and if so how do I go about it? I have the return leg of an off-peak return and an advanced single that I didn't use (got an earlier train and got a new ticket for that one). Any help much appreciated.

You didn't say how late the train actually was. Different Train Operating Companies have different compensation rules but generally your train has to be an hour late to qualify.

An unused (by choice) Advance ticket has no value. The return leg of an off-peak return may be refundable. The amount of the refund would be the price of the ticket, minus the single that you would have needed for the outward journey, minus a handling charge - this most often would mean that you owe them money, so it's probably best not to say anything about it.

You didn't say how late the train actually was. Different Train Operating Companies have different compensation rules but generally your train has to be an hour late to qualify.

An unused (by choice) Advance ticket has no value. The return leg of an off-peak return may be refundable. The amount of the refund would be the price of the ticket, minus the single that you would have needed for the outward journey, minus a handling charge - this most often would mean that you owe them money, so it's probably best not to say anything about it.

The train was about 50 minutes late so no dice there. Im annoyed about the advance ticket as the guy gave me the impression that is a brought the earlier ticket a £17 it would actually save me money rather than just paying the £10 upgrade (not really the right word but a fee to allow me to board an earlir train) to the £9 ticket I already had but if I can't get the £9 back then its cost me £26 for the journey back.

The train was about 50 minutes late so no dice there. Im annoyed about the advance ticket as the guy gave me the impression that is a brought the earlier ticket a £17 it would actually save me money rather than just paying the £10 upgrade (not really the right word but a fee to allow me to board an earlir train) to the £9 ticket I already had but if I can't get the £9 back then its cost me £26 for the journey back.

I always wonder why people buy advance purchase tickets when pay on the day (and use on any train) tickets are often available for a couple of pounds more. I'd always pay a couple of pounds extra for the flexibility.
If you'd used the £23 option I gave in the other thread you'd have been able to return when you wanted.

I always wonder why people buy advance purchase tickets when pay on the day (and use on any train) tickets are often available for a couple of pounds more. I'd always pay a couple of pounds extra for the flexibility.
If you'd used the £23 option I gave in the other thread you'd have been able to return when you wanted.

Cheers Jeff.:icon_lol::icon_roll

I've just checked the delay compensation details for both London Midland and for Cross-Country; I presume it was their trains you were travelling on. I'm happy to say that both pay compensation on delays of 30 minutes or more, so you are entitled to something.

London Midland Delay Replay form

Cross Country Passenger Charter (scroll down to 'If our trains were running late')

Top bombing boc. It was the cross country train that was delayed by that much.

I think your "often" overstates the situation. In the case of Advance tickets bought early in the booking period, flexible tickets can never be bought for just a few pounds more. It can't be said too often enough though that Advance tickets should only ever be bought when you are absolutely certain that you will be travelling on that train.

I agree with what you say about flexibility but I for one would opt to save 10% by buying Advance rather than flexible if I was certain I didn't need any flexibility.

It's based on what people have said on here when they've been given different options.
They always seem to go for the cheapest, when there's a flexible buy on the day ticket that doesn't cost much more.
Cheaper isn't necessarily better.

People on here tend to book relatively late and that is why they save little by buying in Advance and give up their flexibility cheaply. I have occasionally travelled from St Pancras to Leicester for £2 return and often for £14 return. While the flexible fare is almost £50, I'm quite happy with the trade-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669