Unread posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Is it just me or this playing up massivley.

Mine still has posts higlighted in orange as unread from a few days ago, even though I have read them all 10 times because I keep thinking they are new.

Sometimes they go back to unhighlighted only to go back to orange again the next time I log on. Webbo!!!!!!

It might be a related to cacheing or cookies, I've changed the settings for both, let me know if this has helped.

Same problems (even tho' it's not really a problem, is it ?)

But now getting long winded messages after posting

Still no better Webbo. It's all over the place. The most frustrating thing is that it goes back and highlights old threads making them look new.

homer said:
Same problems (even tho' it's not really a problem, is it ?)

How can it not be a problem, if you are away for a day or 2, how do you know what to read?

admin said:
It might be a related to cacheing or cookies, I've changed the settings for both, let me know if this has helped.

Has homer eaten them all again, is that the bother?

DurhamFox said:
How can it not be a problem, if you are away for a day or 2, how do you know what to read?

Go into "quick links" at the top and click on new posts

homer said:
Go into "quick links" at the top and click on new posts

All that does is searches the wrongly marked threads and compiles them in to a list, therefore it's just a wrong as the main forum just in a handier list. which isn't any handier really, is it?

DurhamFox said:
All that does is searches the wrongly marked threads and compiles them in to a list, therefore it's just a wrong as the main forum just in a handier list. which isn't any handier really, is it?

The new posts link is working properly for me, it's only showing new posts.

Try deleting your cookies, then clicking on quick links and mark the forums a read.

Last edited:
Already tried that. Using the 'mark all posts as read' does work but having to do that is a bit of a pain.

As an exmaple after I read the post you just made it is still telling me it's new. It's also telling me there are posts to read in threads I am the last contributer to. Weird.

You don't need to convince me there's a problem, I know there is. It's only one of several problems I'm trying to sort out. Can't spend much longer on it today though and I might not get a chance to have another look at it until tomorrow, so please don't keep telling me it's not working until I've had another chance to look into it.

You are such a whining queen, Durham, leave the poor bloke alone

DurhamFox said:
Now Webbo, this thread is saying it has new posts, even though the last post is mine!

The new post does not work if you read the post and then go back to the top level.

So if the route is as follows "Talking Balls > Help / support > Support " then once you have read the post if you jump back up to the "Talking Balls" level the post does not get marked as read.

On the other hand you go back up the route in stages " support > Help / support > Talking Balls then the post seems to be marked as read. There must be a trigger that marks the posts as read once you leave the thread? :103:

Does this help? ;) :) :icon_mrgr

admin said:
You don't need to convince me there's a problem, I know there is. It's only one of several problems I'm trying to sort out. Can't spend much longer on it today though and I might not get a chance to have another look at it until tomorrow, so please don't keep telling me it's not working until I've had another chance to look into it.

Sorry Webbo. I thought there might have been a problem with my browser or something rather than the forum software, Wasn't having a go.

homer - go and bother some sheep.

I've upgraded to the next major release of the forum (which is a beta version so it may have bugs), but it has improved functionality for marking posts as read, it now stores this in the database instead of cookies and it appears to be working properly.
There's also a new option at the top menu to view new posts. This should list all posts you haven't read, and also appears to be working correctly.
A few other things are now working correctly, such as

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670