Vardy For England!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry BN, your entitled to your opinion but you are wrong, you can hardly compare playing on the left wing for Fleetwood, and the same position for England. What doesn't suit Vardy's game is the tactical side of international football, slow, slow from the back, playing across field giving the opposition ample time to get back in numbers, 'look for an opening' to appears to be Hodgsons mantra. Yes Vardy can play on the left wing, but his basic strength is speed, with no little amount of skill to back it up he creates openings for other players something Hodgson hasn't or doesn't want to recognise. He's not a one on one player like Mahrez, he runs the channels gets behind defenders, makes them turn a nightmare for any defender. He can do that on the left wing, but he's also got to be given the ball, something he was starved of in his last appearance. However he is nowhere near as effective in this position as when he goes down the middle. He is good with both feet so he can go left or right and be just as effective a rare combination in a striker. He's not greedy he looks for players in a better position than him to score. Why Hodgson played him on the left wing is beyond me, it simply opened Vardy up for criticism for failing to adapt to that role. Rooney was quick to complain when put out on the right wing and was quickly moved back to a strikers role, hopefully Hodgson will listen to his critics, he certainly hasn't liked the criticism he has received about his use of Vardy, hence his latest statement but we can only wait and see.

I read Hodgsons comments as "this upstart has forced me to rethink my predetermined and established forward line and for that I'm annoyed. I'm still going to play my favorites mind...but now I have to look like a twat doing it".

I genuinely think Hodgson would rather do without Vardy and having to answer for him. He'd much rather pick Wellbeck and Sturridge when they play four games in April.

I read Hodgsons comments as "this upstart has forced me to rethink my predetermined and established forward line and for that I'm annoyed. I'm still going to play my favorites mind...but now I have to look like a twat doing it".

I genuinely think Hodgson would rather do without Vardy and having to answer for him. He'd much rather pick Wellbeck and Sturridge when they play four games in April.

Yep, i get the same impression. Bloody inconvenient Englishman scoring goals for fun.

Hodgson clearly likes Vardy. He selected Vardy at the end of last season, when he hadn't scored many goals in the Premier League, and he got criticised for it.
He has a history of playing players out of position, including players who are established internationals.

Hodgson clearly likes Vardy. He selected Vardy at the end of last season, when he hadn't scored many goals in the Premier League, and he got criticised for it.
He has a history of playing players out of position, including players who are established internationals.
I think your right Jeff, but the problem Hodgson has is finding an effective role for a player who in international terms is a bit of a maverick. Vardy doesn't fit in to the established view of a centre forward, which means your traditional tactical plans don't work very well where Vardy is concerned. You want him in the team, but where to play him, stick him on the left wing, you neutralise him, put him in the middle and one of the more conventional forwards has to give way, you also have to play a different type of football, quicker more spontaneous than the usual international stuff. So the question is or at least one of them, is Hodgson willing to sacrifice his tried and tested formula to accommodate a maverick, who might just win you important games because of his style of play is different to anything else you have available?

Nope, you're all wrong and Woy is right I'm afraid.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why Vardy cannot impress in a left sided forward role. He's played there many times. For example, it was the role he did best in for Fleetwood and the one that earned him his move to us. My point is that it's hardly an alien role to him and he has ample opportunity there to show what he's made of.

The reason he's been poor playing there for England is because he's been poor, not because of where on the pitch he's been. He plays like he has an inferiority complex and I think Woy is intimating the same.

Firstly, he needs to adapt to International football (which he hasn't in any way, shape or form) and only then it is worthwhile having a conversation about where he would perform best.

To me, it doesn't matter whether you are right or not as we all have opinions but I agree with Lako and others that Vardy has been hung out to dry by Hodgson.

Where is the evidence that Vardy has ever said he only wants to play in the middle upfront?

If I were Vards, I would be absolutely seething and I'm surprised he hasn't come out and said he's happy to play anywhere any manager decides to place him.

I think all this will have an effect on his game tomorrow. I'll be very surprised if he scores.

I would be surprised if he doesn't bearing in mind 11 from 11 and all that...

To me, it doesn't matter whether you are right or not as we all have opinions but I agree with Lako and others that Vardy has been hung out to dry by Hodgson.

Where is the evidence that Vardy has ever said he only wants to play in the middle upfront?

If I were Vards, I would be absolutely seething and I'm surprised he hasn't come out and said he's happy to play anywhere any manager decides to place him.

I think all this will have an effect on his game tomorrow. I'll be very surprised if he scores.
He might get a bit of winding up by the Watford players too but I think that will spur him on even more.
What if there's a penalty though tomorrow,?
Mahrez missed his last one, in a shoot our I know, but would he still expect to take it or leave it to Vardy?

If this truly is a thing for Vardy, then do you honestly think Woy has helped his player this week by basically singling him out amongst all the England bum boys as some sort of lucky little boy who's exploits in the league aren't evidence enough that he deserves his place in the team?

Woy has dropped a bollock on this one I'm afraid.

Oh and can anyone name an English striker currently better placed to play down the middle?

I think Woy was asked a question and he answered it quite fairly and honestly. I think he's absolutely right to be saying to Vardy that it is up to him to prove his value to the England team and it is undeniable that he has done nothing of the sort to date.

I'm sure that the likes of Walcott and Welbeck would also prefer a central role but they have usually been asked to play wide attacking roles for England too. It's hardly a case of Vardy being singled out.

In that last game on the artificial surface, Vardy had opportunities through the middle on numerous occasions and he hid from the ball or took the safe option. In short, he didn't play anything like he does for us.

In terms of who should be preferred in the central role, what has Vardy done in an England shirt to get preferential treatment? My list of England strikers by right to play in the central role according to their scoring records:

1. Rooney 50 goals in 107 games
2. Kane 3 goals in 6 games
3. Welbeck 14 goals in 33 games
4. Sturridge 5 goals in 16 games
5. Walcott 8 goals in 42 games
6. Vardy 0 goals in 4 games

All the above list of players have only had intermittent spells as the central striker and all have scored goals from wide or deep lying attacking positions; except Vardy.

If Vardy plays well enough and starts scoring for England, everything else will take care of itself. But it does him no favours to blame others if this doesn't happen.

Vardy is currently a magnificent forward for Leicester and a poor one for England.

Don't forget all this noise about playing him down the middle has come from the media and those idiots on Radio Leicester

I don't believe Vardy has said anything about and quite the opposite seems genuinely priveleged to play for his Country (ref Sterling on this one). He just gets on with his football.

I think Roy did a good job, albeit in his clumsy way, of taking the pressure away from Jamie. i.e he's one of the team, he deserves no special treatment. If he shows us in training then we'll pick him in the best position for the TEAM.

Vardy is doing a great job at not letting the hype go to his head. Let's not add to the pressure by blowing it out of proportion and then we reap the benefits which is more important.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think Woy was asked a question and he answered it quite fairly and honestly. I think he's absolutely right to be saying to Vardy that it is up to him to prove his value to the England team and it is undeniable that he has done nothing of the sort to date.

I'm sure that the likes of Walcott and Welbeck would also prefer a central role but they have usually been asked to play wide attacking roles for England too. It's hardly a case of Vardy being singled out.

In that last game on the artificial surface, Vardy had opportunities through the middle on numerous occasions and he hid from the ball or took the safe option. In short, he didn't play anything like he does for us.

In terms of who should be preferred in the central role, what has Vardy done in an England shirt to get preferential treatment? My list of England strikers by right to play in the central role according to their scoring records:

1. Rooney 50 goals in 107 games
2. Kane 3 goals in 6 games
3. Welbeck 14 goals in 33 games
4. Sturridge 5 goals in 16 games
5. Walcott 8 goals in 42 games
6. Vardy 0 goals in 4 games

All the above list of players have only had intermittent spells as the central striker and all have scored goals from wide or deep lying attacking positions; except Vardy.

If Vardy plays well enough and starts scoring for England, everything else will take care of itself. But it does him no favours to blame others if this doesn't happen.

Vardy is currently a magnificent forward for Leicester and a poor one for England.
Again you have missed the point. Vardy has not started all four games, in the one he has he's been played out of position, and on one occasion on a pitch which was so poor it made everyone look bad. No one is looking for preferential treatment, I'm not sure what your statistics are meant to prove, they are meaningless because there is no context. All of the above players have gone at least four games without scoring, irrespective of the position they have played within the team, some of them have gone many more games. If Walcott can only score 8 times in 42 starts its a poor return, the same goes for Welbeck, and Sturridge. Kane scored two in one game, so he's gone four games without scoring. The only player who has been worth his place is Rooney, however he form is very poor as is Kane's at this point in time. So the question still remains why not play Vardy down the middle.

How is giving a striker in the form of his life and outperforming all of his colleagues a start in a friendly in his position 'preferential treatment'

It's a sad day for the national team when the clear standout candidate is specifically singled out by his manager and almost embarrassed in public. It actually puts even more pressure on the lad whether he starts wide or central.

If he doesn't deserve his chance in the middle now, in a friendly, then he never ever will. This form will not be replicated and let's not forget that Rooney never managed it despite playing in a top side for most of his career.

People are too hard on Rooney, IMO. All the other players who have scored a lot of goals for England, have scored goals against lesser opponents. That's not connected necessarily to the debate about Vardy, but I still though I'd put it out there.

How is giving a striker in the form of his life and outperforming all of his colleagues a start in a friendly in his position 'preferential treatment

Maybe the new selection policy should include never playing anyone in their club position until they've proved themselves worthy by performing well in any other role?

That'll be great to watch and sort out the wheat from the chaff surely!

Even playing on the left wing he will be more effective against teams that aren't so defensive as the teams he has played against so far.

People are too hard on Rooney, IMO. All the other players who have scored a lot of goals for England, have scored goals against lesser opponents. That's not connected necessarily to the debate about Vardy, but I still though I'd put it out there.

I think my feeling about people being too hard on Rooney went out of the window when he slated the fans who paid thousands to watch him and his bellend mates swan about a bit.

I think my feeling about people being too hard on Rooney went out of the window when he slated the fans who paid thousands to watch him and his bellend mates swan about a bit.

Plus he's a ****, missed that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670