Speculation Vardy to Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's worrying is that out of Kante/Mahrez/Vardy, I was the most confident of keeping hold of Vardy.

I'm seriously concerned about the other two, especially if they have similar clauses in their contract.

Surely Vardy would only go for a medical if our Club had not been to able/willing to give him an offer that was as attractive as Arsenal?

I fear that if he goes for the medical then that is it!

I cannot see that the Club would not offer him 4 years against 3.

If the financial rules stop a bigger rise in one year, just put in the contract + 20,000/week from 2017-18 etc?

Do you reckon if he leaves the club will pay him his week in hand?

Surely Vardy would only go for a medical if our Club had not been to able/willing to give him an offer that was as attractive as Arsenal?

I fear that if he goes for the medical then that is it!

I cannot see that the Club would not offer him 4 years against 3.

If the financial rules stop a bigger rise in one year, just put in the contract + 20,000/week from 2017-18 etc?

If Arsenal will pay the release fee he can do what he likes. He doesn't have to entertain any counter offer.

If he's just after a massive deal then let him get it elsewhere.

I agree. We cannot commit to paying around £25m over four years to someone who will be 34 at the end of the contract. What if we got relegated in the next couple of years?

The more I read about this, the more I think it is a bluff calling contest between Vardy's agents and the City owners. They've demanded an improved deal which the club have said no to. So the agents have touted Vardy around publicising the release clause in order to up the pressure.

Top has admitted that the club are restricted to what they can pay players given our turnover. We simply cannot pay what some other Premier League clubs can.

I'd offer Vardy no more than £100k for the next two years, reducing to £75k in year three and £50k in year four. I'd also expect his salary to half were we to be relegated.

If Vardy wants a few more million than we can sensibly afford (and I don't blame him at all if he does) then he has to go. Whether that is a good or bad football decision or personal decision, nobody knows.

What's worrying is that out of Kante/Mahrez/Vardy, I was the most confident of keeping hold of Vardy.

I'm seriously concerned about the other two, especially if they have similar clauses in their contract.

Yes of the three he was the one I was most confident about. Only because he said he was staying though.

Anyone think Ox or Walcott could be part of the deal? We've been linked with them for a few weeks.

Hopefully tongue in cheek. Mrs Vardy must be pretty pissed at the trolls so hard to read her and Jamie's true thoughts on the transfer.
If they are teetering on a decision then the
minority of silly short sighted twats we have as fellow fans might help make their minds up.

If he stays the mongs will rightly feel as stupid as they look.

Yes of the three he was the one I was most confident about. Only because he said he was staying though.

Anyone think Ox or Walcott could be part of the deal? We've been linked with them for a few weeks.

No. Why would they do that when the release clause is a fee? They couldn't put a player up against a release clause because there is no set value to the player.

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed one of them this summer, but won't be as part of the Vardy transfer.

Agree with the comments above, no way we can offer Vardy that much money over 4 years. It's very unlikely we'll be in this position at that time.

Giving him a massive contract until he's 34 is a huge risk. But it's his best/only chance to get a deal like that, so I don't blame him if he takes it. I just wish he'd stay with us

I agree. We cannot commit to paying around £25m over four years to someone who will be 34 at the end of the contract. What if we got relegated in the next couple of years?

The more I read about this, the more I think it is a bluff calling contest between Vardy's agents and the City owners. They've demanded an improved deal which the club have said no to. So the agents have touted Vardy around publicising the release clause in order to up the pressure.

Top has admitted that the club are restricted to what they can pay players given our turnover. We simply cannot pay what some other Premier League clubs can.

I'd offer Vardy no more than £100k for the next two years, reducing to £75k in year three and £50k in year four. I'd also expect his salary to half were we to be relegated.

If Vardy wants a few more million than we can sensibly afford (and I don't blame him at all if he does) then he has to go. Whether that is a good or bad football decision or personal decision, nobody knows.
Totally agree BN.

Plus this would only be the thin end of a thick wedge if we agreed to unsustainable terms for him.

The rest of the squad would quite rightly want rises too plus any potential new signings could also negotiate better terms than they could do now.

Really don't want to go down the road of losing money due to ridiculas wages - I would sooner lose players and replace them. Remember - we have arguably the best scouting network in the league and I am certain they have lined up suitable replacements.

I don't blame Vardy if he leaves - I think what annoys fans is when players openly state they want to stay only to turn round a couple of weeks later and move on.

I know it would never happen but what is wrong with Vardy - when asked about his future to just say "let's see what happens?".

Probably no. The max they have to pay is the release fee. From their perspective, why give something you don't have to?

Totally agree BN.

Plus this would only be the thin end of a thick wedge if we agreed to unsustainable terms for him.

The rest of the squad would quite rightly want rises too plus any potential new signings could also negotiate better terms than they could do now.

Really don't want to go down the road of losing money due to ridiculas wages - I would sooner lose players and replace them. Remember - we have arguably the best scouting network in the league and I am certain they have lined up suitable replacements.

I don't blame Vardy if he leaves - I think what annoys fans is when players openly state they want to stay only to turn round a couple of weeks later and move on.

I know it would never happen but what is wrong with Vardy - when asked about his future to just say "let's see what happens?".

What annoys me is that he signed a new deal a matter of weeks ago. If he wasn't happy with the terms he should not have signed it. It just feels a bit like he has used the situation to hold us to ransom. Where there is a break clause, there should be rules prohibiting a player from moving on in the first year of a contract unless both contracting parties reach a mutual agreement to terminate. This isn't on. It isn't a cheap process to negotiate and draft a new contract. I should imagine that all kinds of fees were paid, not to mention the fact that Vardy has benefitted from improved terms for 3 months. If he never intended to stay and wanted only to manufacture this situation then our club could have saved a lot of time and money.

What annoys me is that he signed a new deal a matter of weeks ago. If he wasn't happy with the terms he should not have signed it. It just feels a bit like he has used the situation to hold us to ransom. Where there is a break clause, there should be rules prohibiting a player from moving on in the first year of a contract unless both contracting parties reach a mutual agreement to terminate. This isn't on. It isn't a cheap process to negotiate and draft a new contract. I should imagine that all kinds of fees were paid, not to mention the fact that Vardy has benefitted from improved terms for 3 months. If he never intended to stay and wanted only to manufacture this situation then our club could have saved a lot of time and money.

I'm sure that his agent has pointed out that since he signed his contract, he's become an England goal scoring regular, a Premier League winner and wanted by Arsenal. These factors do change his bargaining power.

Probably no. The max they have to pay is the release fee. From their perspective, why give something you don't have to?

Hmm. You're right.

I suppose I was thinking more of from a PR perspective. As evidenced by the general reaction online losing Vardy is a bit of a PR nightmare for the club and I'd imagine if it happens we'll sign another striker pretty quickly. If there is such a thing as courtesy in football I wondered if we were working with Arsenal so the deals could be announced at roughly the same time. Just rampant speculation.

Not sure what your point is here. Do you think we'd have any trouble selling him if we went down?

If we want an able replacement for Vardy, we're going to have to spend more than that over the four years to come with transfer fee + wages combined. True, the selling on value might be better for a player like Musa. But he's not a proven scorer like Vardy is either.

I just think that Vardy wants to go regardless of what we do. He knows what he gets here and if it's not what he's after there's not much we can do, I'd think money is only one part of his (apparent) decision

Last edited:
Maybe I'm underestimating the toll the next few years will take on Vardy. Will be interesting to see if he stays free of injuries if he goes

I think money and the contract length are the biggest factors - as well as the prestige of the club.

Let's face it, when you're young you don't dream of playing for Leicester (unless you're a Leicester fan). But you do think of playing for the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Etc. And for playing under a manager like Wenger.

I want Vardy to stay but I don't think it's too fair to blame him if he goes.

I blame his agent more, but not Vardy. If Arsenal play to his strengths, he'll be a brilliant signing for them. If they don't, he could be bench warming but on a huge wagw

Maybe I'm underestimating the toll the next few years will take on Vardy. Will be interesting to see if he stays free of injuries if he goes to Arsenal

I was thinking this yesterday. Arsenal certainly have their problems

I was also thinking is Vardy's late emergence as a professional footballer good or bad for his longevity? Maybe bad because he's not had the same fitness regime and sports science through his career, but he's certainly one hell of an athlete now. With a much shorter pro career than many others, maybe he could actually keep his pace further into his 30s than many other strikers. Hard to say one way or the other though!

Also I am just constantly refreshing here and Twitter for updates. It's quiet today. But think the next news could be the bad news :(

Giroud is saying that Vardy wants to join Arsenal. I worry now that we will lose Kante and Mahrez because without the three of them we are, to a degree, a spent force and this could affect any potential new signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669