Speculation Vardy to Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was all going so well up until this. Although I get your sentiment nothing can replace playing someone like Liverpool at home in front of a packed ground IMHO.

Oh I agree; but I wouldn't give one up for the other. I like the variety we get as Leicester fans. I'd soon be get fed up after years of midtable drudgery in the top flight as I did of the same in the one below.

At the minute I think we have a great opportunity to push on. Not from what we've just achieved, but from our usual high water mark of middle of the road top division dweller. A few seasons in the top eight, qualifying for Europe the odd year and a crack or two at winning the FA Cup would be dreamland for me now.

But when we do inevitably sink back to the second tier, I can live with that. It has its own charm.

Arsenal might be prepared to give him a longer contract than we could. Did Top say there were restrictions on how big an increase the club as allowed to give players?

Are we going to be able to pay a transfer fee and then wages for a player who will score 20+ goals next season (or is at least capable of that) for less than £24m?

Arsenals offer reportedly equates to a total of £24m over four years.

If the answer to my question above is no then we should match Arsenal's offer. Why wouldn't we if we couldn't afford the alternative which is to find someone of similar quality or if it was going to cost more than £24m to do so. Is this not simple mathematics?

I really wanted/prayed/hoped for a CL season where all of last season's stars were here. I wanted to see how far the squad could go with Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc in Europe. That's where my disappointment is.

I learnt the hard way at a young age that players move on, and often quite quickly, Dean Sturridge you b*****d.

If Vardy does go and some of the others, good luck to them, they deserve every bit of success their careers provide as they've given us the season of a lifetime and the best season any supporter of this football club has ever witnessed. I hoped they would find a club abroad to play for as the thought of any of them in an Arsenal/Man U/Man City/Chelsea shirt sickens me, but if they do decide to go to one of them then fair enough.

Obviously bitterly disappointed, but look at Southampton, constantly cherry picked for their best players and still challenging for Europe. Plus, he's never gone until he's holding the shirt on another clubs website.

If the release clause is contingent on it only being available to Champions League clubs, then it may have been inserted last year when we were bottom of the league and Vardy was looking to go to a bigger club.

If the release clause is contingent on it only being available to Champions League clubs, then it may have been inserted last year when we were bottom of the league and Vardy was looking to go to a bigger club.

He signed a new contract a matter of weeks ago.

Are we going to be able to pay a transfer fee and then wages for a player who will score 20+ goals next season (or is at least capable of that) for less than £24m?

Arsenals offer reportedly equates to a total of £24m over four years.

If the answer to my question above is no then we should match Arsenal's offer. Why wouldn't we if we couldn't afford the alternative which is to find someone of similar quality or if it was going to cost more than £24m to do so. Is this not simple mathematics?
The problem is once we bow down to unreasonable player demands ~£120k p.w. then other players start demanding more and so our wage structure is broken.

A downward spiral I wouldn't wish us to get into no matter the player. I think he is exceptional but not irreplaceable.

The problem is once we bow down to unreasonable player demands ~£120k p.w. then other players start demanding more and so our wage structure is broken.

A downward spiral I wouldn't wish us to get into no matter the player. I think he is exceptional but not irreplaceable.

Well its catch 22 because if he leaves the same dismantling of the team effect is likely. We have to assess each situation on its individual merits. The immediate question is are we going to be able to replace Vardy (fee and wages inclusive) for less than £24m

Yes but his agent may have persuaded him to not let the club remove it because of the bargaining power it gave Vardy.

I am sure if the club were putting in a release clause in the last couple of months it would be for at least double the £20million

Surely the Vardy chat deserves its own thread and this is more than an unfounded rumour

I would be absolutely gutted if Vardy left us. Devastated. He's the one I was sure would stay. Thought Kante and or Mahrez might leave but was sure Vardy would stay with us.

No one player is bigger than the team, but I worry about the knock on effect. Would the others stay if Vardy went? I don't want our champions to be dismantled so soon. I want to see them battle in the Champions League for us.

Vardy is the figurehead of this team. He's the poster boy. He's the personification of the team spirit and the Fearless Foxes. Losing him would be a massive, massive blow.

He said before he didn't want to go anywhere, that he owed Leicester for getting to this position. Let's hope he still feels that way.

If he does go I wish him well. I just pray that he doesn't.

What pisses me off more is the amount of Arsenal fans on Twitter who are complaining about them going for Vardy and beig underwhelmed, as if he's not good enough for them! I hope he reads that, then reads the comments from our fans and stays where he's wanted and idolised as a hero

"Speculation - Vardy to Arsenal" springs to mind as a separate thread.

Calls for it, nobody seems to be acting.

Arsenal have activated a clause in Vardy's contract, believed to be £20m.

If the mods could move some of the discussion from the other thread into here that would be great.

.....an now for a mod to move all the Vardy posts over here........

......please......

Shamelessly stealing this from a poster on FT, thought it was a good perspective...

"Can anyone name a better time for us to lose a player like Vardy? Through sale, age or injury we are always going to lose him in the next 4 years ish. But we are never going to be in a better position to replace him."

For me, that's exactly right.

Shamelessly stealing this from a poster on FT, thought it was a good perspective...

"Can anyone name a better time for us to lose a player like Vardy? Through sale, age or injury we are always going to lose him in the next 4 years ish. But we are never going to be in a better position to replace him."

For me, that's exactly right.
Are you sure that's from FT?

Seems way too sensible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675