Waghorn over Fryatt any day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's all about finding the right partner to Matt Fryatt and I simply cannot see why anyone would think otherwise following last season and the beginning of this from him. I wouldn't be surprised if a 'Hull' or 'Wigan' type come in for him in January if his form carries on, and that should allow Waggypants, Gallypants and DJ to battle it out for his place; can't help feeling that some on here will be happy with that too.

I think it's all about finding the right partner to Matt Fryatt and I simply cannot see why anyone would think otherw*s* following last season and the beginning of this from him. I wouldn't be surprised if a 'Hull' or 'Wigan' type come in for him in January if his form carries on, and that should allow Waggypants, Gallypants and DJ to battle it out for his place; can't help feeling that some on here will be happy with that too.

I think Waghorn goes back in January, but I could be wrong

I may be in a minority here, but I tend to think sorting out the best midfield formation and best players in that formation is the real key. I just think that any front TWO out of Howard/Fryatt/Waghorn/Gallagher will put sufficient chances away (note I don't think Gallagher playing alongside two of them works well - NP should decide if he is good enough for one of the front two places - which he may be).
It's obvious that the first midfield name on the team sheet is Wellens (even more than Oakley), but where do we go from there? Last season at one point it proved fairly successful to bolster the midfield balance by putting Berner in there (he'd either been on the bench or full back at that point) & I'm slightly tempted to believe this might be tried again whilst playing the young Man City loanee at left back. Get the midfield balance right, and I think the forward line will do the business.
The midfield might thus look like Wellens/Oakley/Berner and ONE winger - one from Dyer/N'guessan/Gradel. King on the bench for me. I do rate him, it's just that I think his style of play is better suited to the premiership (some of his critics may scoff at that I know) than the more gutsy championship. My main point is that the midfield balance & formation needs to be sorted (which includes ending the experiment of playing Gallagher with 2 forwards) and then any of 2 from the 4 named strikers would then do well enough IMO.

Last edited:
I may be in a minority here, but I tend to think sorting out the best midfield formation and best players in that formation is the real key. I just think that any front TWO out of Howard/Fryatt/Waghorn/Gallagher will put sufficient chances away (note I don't think Gallagher playing alongside two of them works well - NP should decide if he is good enough for one of the front two places - which he may well be).
It's obvious that the first midfield name on the team sheet is Wellens, but where do we go from there? Last season at one point it proved fairly successful to bolster the midfield balance by putting Berner in there (he'd either been on the bench or full back at that point) & I'm slightly tempted to believe this might be tried again whilst playing the young Man City loanee at left back. Get the midfield balance right, and I think the forward line will do the business.
The midfield might thus look like Wellens/Oakley/Berner and ONE winger - one from Dyer/N'guessan/Gradel. King on the bench for me. I do rate him, it's just that I think his style of play is better suited to the premiership (some of his critics may scoff at that I know) than the more gutsy campionship. My main point is that the midfield balance & formation needs to be sorted and any of 2 from the 4 named strikers would then do well enough.

I certainly don't agree with every word that you say, but your suggestions on a wide base certainly have a lot more merit and show more thought than those from people who simply say get {insert name of fringe player here} in without even saying who they would drop to make way for him.

I certainly don't agree with every word that you say, but your suggestions on a wide base certainly have a lot more merit and show more thought than those from people who simply say get {insert name of fringe player here} in without even saying who they would drop to make way for him.

Leroy Potter deserves his chance.

Waghorn and Fryatt were brill as a partnership against Sheff Yoo but me thinks that their two centre-halves being inmobile feckers helped on that occasion. Certainly need a big man and I think Yann has some handy qualities not seen elsewhere in the squad. Waggy's your ideal sub really....bit like N'Guessan.

I may be in a minority here, but I tend to think sorting out the best midfield formation and best players in that formation is the real key. I just think that any front TWO out of Howard/Fryatt/Waghorn/Gallagher will put sufficient chances away (note I don't think Gallagher playing alongside two of them works well - NP should decide if he is good enough for one of the front two places - which he may be).
It's obvious that the first midfield name on the team sheet is Wellens (even more than Oakley), but where do we go from there? Last season at one point it proved fairly successful to bolster the midfield balance by putting Berner in there (he'd either been on the bench or full back at that point) & I'm slightly tempted to believe this might be tried again whilst playing the young Man City loanee at left back. Get the midfield balance right, and I think the forward line will do the business.
The midfield might thus look like Wellens/Oakley/Berner and ONE winger - one from Dyer/N'guessan/Gradel. King on the bench for me. I do rate him, it's just that I think his style of play is better suited to the premiership (some of his critics may scoff at that I know) than the more gutsy championship. My main point is that the midfield balance & formation needs to be sorted (which includes ending the experiment of playing Gallagher with 2 forwards) and then any of 2 from the 4 named strikers would then do well enough IMO.

I see your point about Berner, but I don't like playing players out of position. He was just about OK in Div 1 playing midfield, but he's a left back, has been for years. He's doing fine at LB this season, why change it?

Waghorn and Fryatt were brill as a partnership against Sheff Yoo but me thinks that their two centre-halves being inmobile feckers helped on that occasion. Certainly need a big man and I think Yann has some handy qualities not seen elsewhere in the squad. Waggy's your ideal sub really....bit like N'Guessan.

i dont agree with this, i didnt think they worked well against sheff utd at all. we were under pressure for long periods in the 2nd half and they just couldnt keep possession to ease the pressure unlike a big man would have like howard, obviously he got injured tho.

waghorn is still very raw and i think he is doin well as an impact sub against tiring legs

if we were to play 3 upfront consistently, which is very doubtful, you couldnt play fryatt and howard and one other as you need pace out wide

To be fair Waghorn does look good whenever he comes on but Fryatt has been scoring goals at this level and that is the main thing, if Fryatt was to go a few more games without scoring then maybe he should be dropped but dropping him now would be a bit stupid in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669