Wayne Brown - Weak link

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most annoying thing about Brown is his poor distribution. Come to think of it, the whole defence seems happy to just lump it forward all the time. But is this their fault, or the midfield, for not taking it off of them? The Ipswich midfield were very good at closing down and barely gave king/wellens any space.

Spot on! Teams have seen that if they close us down we will resort to hoofing, and the team isn't set up to play like that (no pace up front or on the wings).

It needs Nige to reorganise, by either telling Wellens/King to drop off and pick up the ball, or putting some pace on the wings for Howard to aim for with his flick-ons (although that would be a pretty shit idea...) Our lack of natural width means that it is all too easy to pressurise our defence into mindless hoofs.

Drop Oakley/Wellens and get a right winger on the pitch, please Nige

You prefer King than these 2?

but has a good long throw

:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Don't make me laugh. His throws are terrible. Oakley took some throws when he was injured/dropped and they were more successful.

On the subject of Brown, he goes through phases of having a few bad games before having a few good games. He did struggle yesterday, but I can't particularly blame him, it was certainly not the easiest game given the team or the conditions to come back into after a few weeks out with injury.

Several times yesterday he received the ball and smashed it up the right wing. When he receives the ball in an attacking posistion he doesnt know what to do with it and hasnt put in a decent cross all season.

I'm sure that part of the problem also stems from the fact that when he does get forward, he rarely has any support, as whoever is supposed to be playing on the right of midfield has gone missing, thus leaving him stranded with few options.

You prefer King than these 2?

Don't make me laugh. His throws are terrible. Oakley took some throws when he was injured/dropped and they were more successful.
It's not that i prefer King, i just think Oakley and Wellens are more attacking. King is a good player IMO, he plays a simple style very well.

And i agree re the throws! His crossing was poor also. Not just crossing, but getting the ball into the box. he was given plenty of time yesterday but just took an age to control the ball before getting closed down.

I'm sure that part of the problem also stems from the fact that when he does get forward, he rarely has any support, as whoever is supposed to be playing on the right of midfield has gone missing, thus leaving him stranded with few options.

I also semi-agree with this, but he lacks the confidence to play the ball in-field. it is always down the wing.

It's not that i prefer King, i just think Oakley and Wellens are more attacking. King is a good player IMO, he plays a simple style very well.

What style is that? From what I have seen I'd say King has been more successful going forward and IMO his defensive work is questionable.

Can't have a bad word for King after yesterday, surely. He was the only one giving the defence an option to play the ball out rather than aimless punting. Not that they took it of course.

Typical. One shit performance and everyone's slatting the team.

I think the problem is that we haven't got a team: we've got some good players, but not a good team.

The defence, naturally, misses Tunchev and Berner but, I struggle to believe that anyone could have watched Neilson play prior to his signing. McGivern is young and needs a solid defence to allow for the odd error.

Wellens, Oakley, Gallagher (NP does not seem to consider him a forward) and King, are really all competing for one spot in midfield. We have been unable to procure a ball winning midfield player whilst having signed wingers as if they are going out of fashion, without finding one who can claim a regular first team spot.

Ironically, the attack, which concerned me most prior to the start of the season, is the one area that looks good (cue the sale of Fryatt!)

I think the problem is that we haven't got a team: we've got some good players, but not a good team.

The defence, naturally, misses Tunchev and Berner but, I struggle to believe that anyone could have watched Neilson play prior to his signing. McGivern is young and needs a solid defence to allow for the odd error.

Wellens, Oakley, Gallagher (NP does not seem to consider him a forward) and King, are really all competing for one spot in midfield. We have been unable to procure a ball winning midfield player whilst having signed wingers as if they are going out of fashion, without finding one who can claim a regular first team spot.

Ironically, the attack, which concerned me most prior to the start of the season, is the one area that looks good (cue the sale of Fryatt!)

I disagree. I think we have some very good players, but also some piss poor ones.
I think that we play as a team, and the organisation instilled in them means that sometimes the weaker players are not shown up as badly and we still pick up points.

(cue the sale of Fryatt!)

I dont think you do as well as we have this season without having some sort of team.

We didnt have a team two years ago but definatley do now. Just a bit of it needs tweaking.

Agree - we've got a team that is let down (very occasionally) by poor individuals. Still, we're about 14 places higher than we were two years ago and we haven't got Shaun Newton so I'm satisfied even if nobody else is.

I dont think you do as well as we have this season without having some sort of team.

We didnt have a team two years ago but definitely do now. Just a bit of it needs tweaking.

I would agree that we have team spirit, but do we have an eleven that covers all the bases? I was trying to suggest that we have more than enough cover in some departments and gaps in others.

Thing which annoys me most about Brown is he bollocks other people when he makes a mistake. and his backtracking.

Get well soon Tunch!

I have to be honest, and knowing what this place is like i'll probably get slated, but....

I honestly find it madness that we are in the play-offs, every time I have seen us play, barring QPR, we have been nothing special what so ever, in fact we have been plain old run of the mill average. Oh and very lucky to boot (Reading)

Just goes to show how shit this league is.

Having said that, I fully expect to see us in the top 6 at the end of the season, mainly because I don't see which of the total wank below us will have the quality to do anything of note.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00