West Indies v England 3rd test (the second Antigua one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the correct decision to bat again. Three out of the five bowlers were not 100% after we bowled them out in the first innings. Harmison - stomach, Flintoff - Hip, Anderson - Ankle. Bowling again would have definitely been the wrong decision.

However, I do think that sending out a night watchman in the 2nd innings was the wrong decision. We were technically 300-1 and should have sent out Shah. The next morning Anderson wasted an hour trying to get out without adding many runs.

I agree with everything Willow says. Following on is not always the right decision.

Also I disagree with anyone that says we batted on too long to ensure we had a 500 lead. Antigua has historically been a good 4th innings wicket. To me, the timing should have been OK.

Saying that it is still a game that badly slipped out of our hands. Watching Harmison bowl in the last 10 overs reminded me of the Edbgaston Ashes test, he just didn't seem to have a plan to finish off the tail. Far too many balls drifting down leg side. Swann was the most dangerous threat and should have been bowling continuously for the last 2 hours.

I agree with everything Willow says. Following on is not always the right decision.

Also I disagree with anyone that says we batted on too long to ensure we had a 500 lead. Antigua has historically been a good 4th innings wicket. To me, the timing should have been OK.

Saying that it is still a game that badly slipped out of our hands. Watching Harmison bowl in the last 10 overs reminded me of the Edbgaston Ashes test, he just didn't seem to have a plan to finish off the tail. Far too many balls drifting down leg side. Swann was the most dangerous threat and should have been bowling continuously for the last 2 hours.

As you agree with me I will ignore the incorrect spelling of my name. :icon_lol:

As you agree with me I will ignore the incorrect spelling of my name. :icon_lol:

And the fact that a welshman used the term "we" when referring to England?

Irrespective of the slow wicket and the injuries to England bowlers, 370-9 is an exceptionally good score for a fourth innings.

However, I don't think that Strauss was sharp enough with his captaincy. In the circumstances I can see the case for not enforcing the follow-on, but once he'd determined to bat again then he needed to be 100% positive.

We finished up with a load of runs to spare but insufficient time with an injury weakened attack.

Strauss was the obvious and safe choice to take over the captaincy, but he needs to raise his game if he is to make a real success of the job.

Irrespective of the slow wicket and the injuries to England bowlers, 370-9 is an exceptionally good score for a fourth innings.

However, I don't think that Strauss was sharp enough with his captaincy. In the circumstances I can see the case for not enforcing the follow-on, but once he'd determined to bat again then he needed to be 100% positive.

We finished up with a load of runs to spare but insufficient time with an injury weakened attack.

Strauss was the obvious and safe choice to take over the captaincy, but he needs to raise his game if he is to make a real success of the job.

I think its a case of the last man standing with Strauss. There is no alternative in the team who could take the captaincy on.

I think its a case of the last man standing with Strauss. There is no alternative in the team who could take the captaincy on.

Agreed - the only possible alternatives were Alastair Cook who is more or less a non-starter for ODIs and slightly unconvincing as a Test opener, or maybe ,and outside the team, Robert Key - who has not done himself too many favours by being a bit over-weight and therefore none too athletic.

Still, a series with the West Indies which didn't look to me as if it would be too interesting as turned out to be competitive and I'm really impressed that the West Indies didn't fold at the ARG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566