Who should stay and who should go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd Keep Hobbs, King, Gallagher, Dyer, Waghorn, the rest need to be desposed of in my opinion because I don't think their good enough.

So you think Sol Bamba, Yuki Abe, Alexander Tunchev, Darius Vassell, Franck Moussa and Richie Wellens are all not worth keeping because they're not good enough?

Honestly, you are a total moron.

So you think Sol Bamba, Yuki Abe, Alexander Tunchev, Darius Vassell, Franck Moussa and Richie Wellens are all not worth keeping because they're not good enough?

Honestly, you are a total moron.

If that's how he see players lets hope he's boy scout and not a football scout.

I don't.

According to his missus, he is looking forward to coming back and proving to Sven in pre-season that his poor form in the first half the season won't be repeated.

I really hope this is true. Hobbs is a confidence player, and if he gets it back we will have one of the best defenders in the division

Definitely.

You always get players who don't need help to believe in themselves, whereas with players like Hobbs, it's certainly a case of needing an arm round the shoulder from time to time.

He got treated like shite by Sousa imo...but then did a few of the others!

I really hope this is true. Hobbs is a confidence player, and if he gets it back we will have one of the best defenders in the division

Little to do with confidence imo. Simple fact is he doesn't fit into our current system. Far too slow to play in SGE's high defensive line and not good enough on the ball to play in his patient passing style.

Hobbs is a good defender in a deep defensive line with a lot of protection from the midfield like Pearson played and Pearson's direct style also meant he didn't have to be that great a passer of the ball either.

It was the same with Morrison and Berner, both very good players last season, but neither fit into our current style at all and all 3 looked completely exposed in it.

Like him as a player, he did a good job for us last season and the season before, but he simply doesn't fit into our style of play and as such I see little point in keeping him if a good offer comes in.

Last edited:
Little to do with confidence imo. Simple fact is he doesn't fit into our current system. Far too slow to play in SGE's high defensive line and not good enough on the ball to play in his patient passing style.

Hobbs is a good defender in a deep defensive line with a lot of protection from the midfield like Pearson played and Pearson's direct style also meant he didn't have to be that great a passer of the ball either.

It was the same with Morrison and Berner, both very good players last season, but neither fit into our current style at all and all 3 looked completely exposed in it.

Like him as a player, he did a good job for us last season and the season before, but he simply doesn't fit into our style of play and as such I see little point in keeping him if a good offer comes in.
Excellent post, I have thanked you for it. Hobbs looked terribly slow last autumn and I don't think either that he has a future under Sven.

Spot on. The same goes for Waggy. Technically, I think he now looks out of his depth.

What a load of bull,Jack Hobbs is a very good footballer not over quick but neither was Tony Adams.

The fact is as you put it he is young and lost his confidence,you don't become a poor footballer overnight

For a start,you don't get in Liverpool's academy if you cannot play a bit.

In Pearson's side we played a system that worked,under Sousa he totally changed the formation which put the team under a huge amount of pressure on the back 4...which even under Sven is still a big problem now.

Little to do with confidence imo.

No, it's all to do with confidence. Anyone whose watched Hobbs play, he's all about body language. When he's playing poor, his head drops and he feels sorry for himself. When he's makes a good tackle or does something positive, he starts attacking the ball and pushing on. Bigtime confidence player.

For all the worshipping of Sven, Hobbs is just as good as any of the signings he brought in at centre-back. The fact remains despite people saying Mee's brilliant or Bamba's good and the rest, we've still leaked goals like a sieve.

Plus it doesn't matter what kind of system you play-a strong centre half is a must, and can fit into any side if good enough. Puyol at Barca, Vidic at Manure etc...

Absolutely. When Sven came in we were obviously conceding too many goals. Although after changing the entire back four and bringing in new players, we continued to have exactly the same problem.

What evidence is there that Ben Mee, Jeffrey Bruma or Sol Bamba represent a considerable improvement on Jack Hobbs?

Getting player of the season for a team that finishes 5th in the Championship doesn't count for nothing.

How has Hobbs been getting on at Hull anyway? I remember checking their forms a few weeks ago and the general feeling was that they expected he'd go back to Leicester and that he'd been pretty good for them.

What a load of bull,Jack Hobbs is a very good footballer not over quick but neither was Tony Adams.

The fact is as you put it he is young and lost his confidence,you don't become a poor footballer overnight

For a start,you don't get in Liverpool's academy if you cannot play a bit.

In Pearson's side we played a system that worked,under Sousa he totally changed the formation which put the team under a huge amount of pressure on the back 4...which even under Sven is still a big problem now.

Where have I said he has become a poor player? :102:

I said the opposite, he was a good player in an organised deep defensive outfit like Pearson's, but just not suited to our high defensive line and style of play.

No, it's all to do with confidence. Anyone whose watched Hobbs play, he's all about body language. When he's playing poor, his head drops and he feels sorry for himself. When he's makes a good tackle or does something positive, he starts attacking the ball and pushing on. Bigtime confidence player.

For all the worshipping of Sven, Hobbs is just as good as any of the signings he brought in at centre-back. The fact remains despite people saying Mee's brilliant or Bamba's good and the rest, we've still leaked goals like a sieve.

Where have I claimed the current defence are better? I've said several times in recent weeks we have one of the best attacks in the division, but our current defence and goalkeeper needs sorting. I don't think any of the current defence bar Naughton are particularly up to much defensively.

Hobbs was getting outpaced by attackers. He's simply too slow to play in such a high defensive line. It was clear earlier in this season all teams had to do was knock the ball past him and they'd get past him and have a free run on goal. ManCity in particular exploited this well in the second leg.

You only have to look at the game vs Reading a few weeks back to show how easy it is for a side to get a quick player (Kebe) in the team play long balls over the top and get in behind our defence. It's very easy to exploit a high defensive line with slow players.

I don't think Mee or Bamba will do us that well playing as we do, however the one advantage Bamba and Mee do have over Hobbs though is that they are better passers of the ball, which is obviously more helpful when you play a style which revolves around trying to keep possession.

Plus it doesn't matter what kind of system you play-a strong centre half is a must, and can fit into any side if good enough. Puyol at Barca, Vidic at Manure etc...

Puyol is known to be quick and often has to show it. Valdes also plays as a "sweeper keeper" to back up for their high-defensive line and this is something which I assume Ricardo was brought in to do for us and actually did do that vs Derby, though he seemed to do it less in the following games.

Stick Vidic in Barcelona's side and he'd be outpaced constantly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670