Wimbledon Go To Wembley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

The Corinthian-Casuals will take on AFC Wimbledon in a friendly match at Wembley Stadium on Sunday 13 April 2008 at 3pm.

Fans will travel to the National Stadium to watch their teams play on what is set to be an historic day for the two clubs at one of the most famous football stadiums in the world. The match will have even more significance for the Corinthian-Casuals as it happens to coincide with the 125th anniversary of the two "parent" clubs - the Corinthians founded in 1882 and the Casuals founded in 1883. The two clubs then merged to form the Corinthian–Casuals in 1939.

The match also celebrates a unique link with the Corinthian past. An integral and prestigious part of the new national stadium is the Corinthian Club – the ultimate sporting members’ club, combining the best of everything at Wembley stadium with the exclusive privileges of social membership of Stoke Park Club. Back in 1908 Stoke Park had been acquired by the founder of the Corinthians, Nick ‘Pa’ Lane Jackson, Assistant Secretary of the Football Association and offered to them as a social base, the first ‘Corinthian Club’.

By then the Corinthians had established themselves as a unique force in football – twice supplying the full England team, regularly beating professional opponents, playing with a panache and style that defined an era for English sport.

Now these links – old and new - are being celebrated with the invitation to Corinthian-Casuals and their guests to play at Wembley in April. Both clubs have their Wembley memories In the 1956 F.A. Amateur Cup Final Corinthian-Casuals drew 1 – 1 with Bishop Auckland at Wembley before 80,000 spectators; but then lost the replay at Middlesbrough.

Wimbledon’s record at Wembley – a remarkable double – may never be beaten. In 1963 they won the FA Amateur Cup, beating Sutton 4 – 2 in the Final; then in 1988, after a rapid series of promotions through the Football League, Wimbledon won the F.A Cup , defeating League Champions Liverpool 1 – 0 in what’s still seen as one of the greatest upsets in Cup Final history.

Playing links between the two clubs go back over 80 years. One of the earliest matches was in November 1922 when the Casuals, one of the parent clubs, and Wimbledon met in the 4th Qualifying Round of the F.A Amateur Cup. After a 1 – 1 draw at Wimbledon’s Plough Lane ground, Wimbledon won the replay 6 – 2, on the same ground. The crowd was recorded as 8000. Since then the clubs have met many times in the Isthmian, now Ryman League.

Lucky barstools, if only we could have a Friendly at Wembley. £20 ticket, I understand.

Wimbledon’s record at Wembley – a remarkable double – may never be beaten. In 1963 they won the FA Amateur Cup, beating Sutton 4 – 2 in the Final; then in 1988, after a rapid series of promotions through the Football League, Wimbledon won the F.A Cup , defeating League Champions Liverpool 1 – 0 in what’s still seen as one of the greatest upsets in Cup Final history.

thats bollux, it was Wimbledon not AFC Wimbledon that won those finals.
AFC Wimbledon is a different club altogether.

AFC recently claimed back the trophies from MK Dons

does not count in my books. AFC are a completly different team, they never played at plough lane.

So is that other team, the name I cannot remember, who was Manchester United going to claim their trophies too???

does not count in my books. AFC are a completly different team, they never played at plough lane.

So is that other team, the name I cannot remember, who was Manchester United going to claim their trophies too???

I agree I was just providing the info, BG. FC United haven't try to claim their trophies of ManUre yet but the likes of AFC Telford etc. have claimed their defunct clubs trophies. But that's straightforward really cos it's a continuation of a club - the stadium for example was just transferred over. FCUM and AFC W are different however.

do they get to be managed by a non-league Mince?

I agree with this.

The trophies/history should stay with MK Dons, it is the same club just with a new name and location.

No I completely disagree. I have been to see AFC Wimbledon there are some old fella's that have been watching for years and years and they all turn up to watch AFC. There is a good community spirit at the club everyone knowing each other. Practically non of the old regulars go andwatch MK Dons. I agree that AFC should be given the trophies.

Good on them.

FC United are completely different story.

No I completely disagree. I have been to see AFC Wimbledon there are some old fella's that have been watching for years and years and they all turn up to watch AFC. There is a good community spirit at the club everyone knowing each other. Practically non of the old regulars go andwatch MK Dons. I agree that AFC should be given the trophies.

Good on them.

FC United are completely different story.

so just because some of the old fans go that makes it OK does it? In that case then why don't they kick MK Dons out and put that rabble AFC in its place? In fact if I was anything to do with MK Dons I would ditch the "Dons" bit.

and i'll be going with my boy and his football team to see MK at wembley in the johnsons paint final. Haven't seen a game at the new stadium, looking forward to it.

and i'll be going with my boy and his football team to see MK at wembley in the johnsons paint final. Haven't seen a game at the new stadium, looking forward to it.

its good, I am sure your lad will enjoy it. I went last year with Melton and my boys and we had a great day out.

Oi faggot boy, any chance that them tickets will go on general sale? Might order some over the dog and bone. I am considering going....my Dad's second club has slowly turned into MK Dons. Might be going the Good Friday clash against P'boro.

Oi faggot boy, any chance that them tickets will go on general sale? Might order some over the dog and bone. I am considering going....my Dad's second club has slowly turned into MK Dons. Might be going the Good Friday clash against P'boro.

we got ours through a season ticket holder yesterday, some reports were saying that season ticket holders were being turned away last night. No idea if they've saved any for phone application. Get in quick if you fancy it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669