You people who know how to find cheap train tickets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaumontfox

What's the cheapest open return I can get from Leicester to ST Pancras for THIS Monday?

Just by quickly going through trainline to find the fastest, most direct it's £99!:icon_eek:

Oh and I'd need to get there before 11am, preferably about 10ish...

How much it costs depends if I go or not(as I've got to borrow the money off the OH)

what time you coming back?

52 squid if you come back after 7pm.

46 if you come back at 19:55.

God i must be bored!

What's the cheapest open return I can get from Leicester to ST Pancras for THIS Monday?

Just by quickly going through trainline to find the fastest, most direct it's £99!:icon_eek:

How much it costs depends if I go or not(as I've got to borrow the money off the OH)

It used to work out cheaper if you split the ticket at Bedford, I'll have a look.

49.60 seems to be the best with a bedford split. Would have to travel back after 6.30pm though and if you dont win would need to kill some time in london. xmas shopping?

Last edited:
Leicester to Bedford, leaving Leicester at 9:05 or later, £22.60 off peak return. Bedford to London £16 off peak return. Buy both tickets at Leicester station.

If you go on the 9:05 you can stay on the train when it stops at Bedford, and get to London at 10:34.

Total return fare £38.60. You'd need to check validity of those tickets for your return journey, and you'd need to make sure the train you get stops at Bedford.

Leicester to Bedford, leaving Leicester at 9:05 or later, £22.60 off peak return. Bedford to London £16 off peak return. Buy both tickets at Leicester station.

If you go on the 9:05 you can stay on the train when it stops at Bedford, and get to London at 10:34.

Total return fare £38.60. You'd need to check validity of those tickets for your return journey, and you'd need to make sure the train you get stops at Bedford.

you win:icon_lol:

There is no longer a ticket called Open Return. The £99.50 fare that you found is the Anytime Return; it does exactly what it says on the packet - allows you to travel on any train and to return on any train within a month. You will have to buy it if you want to arrive in London before 10 and can't travel back on a specific train.

The Off-Peak Return at £52.00 becomes available from the 08:56 departure which arrives in St Pancras at 10:19. You can not return from London between 16:25 and 19:25 on an Off-Peak Return.

To get a cheaper fare for a 10ish arrival in London, you would have to be able to travel on specific trains in both directions. Availability is very limited at such short notice.

The Anytime Return and Off-Peak Return are both walk-up tickets; there is no need to book them in advance.

HTH

You lot are far too good at this!

They are, but isn't it a sad indictment of the railways in this country that it is so complicated for occasional users to find a decent priced ticket.

They'll never get people out of their cars whilst it carries on like this.

Not that they would want cars abandoned - the railways couldn't cope with many more passengers anyway. Disgraceful state of affairs.

Now to convince the OH that his money is being well spent:icon_roll

I would not say it's being well spent, what an absolute rip off for a trip to London from Leicester.

nuneaton to euston not an option? £32 rock up fare...

But they'll advertise at £11 single fares*

* This means going via Aberdeen at 4am with a replacement bus service between Newcastle and Leeds.

Remember to book it last year.

They are, but isn't it a sad indictment of the railways in this country that it is so complicated for occasional users to find a decent priced ticket.

They'll never get people out of their cars whilst it carries on like this.

Not that they would want cars abandoned - the railways couldn't cope with many more passengers anyway. Disgraceful state of affairs.

More people use trains now than have ever done in the past. The train companies can get away with charging that much for peak time tickets because they know the trains will be full anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363