2011/12 Champions League Knock-Out Phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of pretty passing, but no plan B. Barcelona played too much like Leicester. ;)

I probably chose to watch the wrong stream then as everyone reckons this game was a cracking one. Heed against Luton was alright, doubt it'll live long in the memory though.
:icon_bigg What about Jon Shaw? Has he stopped scoring?

How did Andre Gray play?

Shit, Luton were shit in general really. Luton didn't look like a side that needed to win, occasional hoofs forward waiting for the defenders and goalkeeper to let the ball run past them into the net. Gateshead actually pushed to win the game and could have had 5 in the last 15 minutes were it not for a string of good saves/blocks and the woodwork. The Luton keeper pulled off an absolutely stunning save to prevent an own goal from about 2 yards out.

That was an absolutely fantastic game of football.

Barca really haven't been anywhere near the same team this season since Fabregas came in, why Guardiola continues to pick him is beyond me. Good player for a second tier Prem side like Arsenal, but nowhere near good enough for a top tier European side like Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Magnificent entertainment

Magnificent performance. Just incredible

All made even more magnificent by the fact that the complete wankstain John Terry will miss the final. Lovely jubbly

Last edited:
So pleased that that will shut up the Barca bummers for a bit. And Messi missed the penalty too, priceless.

All made even more magnificent by the fact that the complete wankstain John Terry will miss the final. Lovely jubbly

This is undoutably true. I wouldn't actually mind Chelsea winning it giving that he will miss the final, still want Bayern to win though.

Saint Messi also managed to get booked, having previously gone unpunished for raising his hands to Lampard.

Highlight of the night was surely Gary Neville's weird noise when Torres scored at the end. Sounded like he was a bit over-excited :icon_lol:

Highlight of the night was surely Gary Neville's weird noise when Torres scored at the end. Sounded like he was a bit over-excited :icon_lol:

Highlight of the night was Geoff Shreeves telling Ivanovic he was going to miss the final.

Was heartbreaking. Like that Simpsons episode, if you pause it you can see the exact moment where his heart gets torn in two. :icon_lol:

It missed off the bit afterwards where he did the nervous laugh and looked like he was about to cry.

Highlight of the night was Geoff Shreeves telling Ivanovic he was going to miss the final.

Was heartbreaking. Like that Simpsons episode, if you pause it you can see the exact moment where his heart gets torn in two. :icon_lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It missed off the bit afterwards where he did the nervous laugh and looked like he was about to cry.

To be honest I think he already knew he was missing the final, all of the players on a yellow card would have known. It's just the fact Geoff Shreeves being the moron he is, seemed to want to make a point out of it to get a reaction from him. I mean what was he meant to say to that? Talk about bringing someone down with a crash.

Never thought I'd say this but Barcelona reminded me so much of us tonight. Obviously a much better class of player throughout the entire team but no plan B.

The teams who've given Barca the most problems in the Champions League have been Chelsea (under Mourinho and now Di Matteo) and Inter (under Mourinho) and the common factor in those ties is that they 'kept it tight'. Even the year Chelsea lost to them, when Iniesta scored late on to beat them, Chelsea played that way (albeit being defeated late on).

Man U and teams who have tried to take them on in an open game, have been beaten. Real Madrid and others have tried to play it dirty and that hasn't worked. Yet when Real beat Barca in their league meeting at the weekend, they played it fairly tight and Barca struggled for clear-cut chances (Real also looked very dangerous going forward, it has to be said).

In some ways there are parallels to a couple of Spain's recent defeats - Switzerland in the World Cup group stages and England in the friendly last year.

It doesn't always work and Chelsea had a few bits of good fortune, but maybe Barca are just being worked out a bit more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670